Database - Scion

This is a discussion on Database - Scion ; Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5? It needs to be compatable with Lotus Access on the PC if poss, but I have finally, after all these years, got fed up with the built in one....

  1. Database

    Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5?

    It needs to be compatable with Lotus Access on the PC if poss, but I
    have finally, after all these years, got fed up with the built in one.

  2. Re: Database

    Well,

    Start here http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/sidata5.htm#dataapps

    Dr. Dweeb

    Arthur Marshall wrote:
    > Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5?
    >
    > It needs to be compatable with Lotus Access on the PC if poss, but I
    > have finally, after all these years, got fed up with the built in one.

  3. Re: Database

    Lotus Access??

    "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5?
    >
    > It needs to be compatable with Lotus Access on the PC if poss, but I
    > have finally, after all these years, got fed up with the built in one.

    ---

  4. Re: Database

    Microsoft Approach maybe.

    "limestone-cowboy" wrote in message
    > Lotus Access??
    >
    > "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > > Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5?
    > >
    > > It needs to be compatable with Lotus Access on the PC if poss, but I
    > > have finally, after all these years, got fed up with the built in one.

    > ---

    ---

  5. Re: Database

    In article <2004020219350972543@zetnet.co.uk>,
    Arthur Marshall wrote:

    > Can anyone reccommend the best database for the Psion 5?
    >
    > It needs to be compatable with...

    What exactly do you mean by "compatible"? Isn't data just data?
    Surely as long as both pieces of sofware can import and export
    comma separated (CSV) or tab separated (TSV) data then they
    are compatible, aren't they? I assume, of course, that you
    don't expect software written for two different platforms to
    understand each other's proprietary file formats, do you?

    Perhaps what you're asking for is a relational database system?

    Or maybe you want something that talks ODBC down the serial link?

    --
    James Taylor, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK. PGP key: 3FBE1BF9
    To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

  6. Re: Database

    The message
    from "AlanS" contains these words:

    > Microsoft Approach maybe....
    > > Lotus Access??

    Oh all right, I'm sorry... it was late at night and the whisky had
    alcohol in it....

    Anyway, PowerBase looks like the one - anyone know where I can get it
    from? Was Purple Software, I think.

    --
    Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/

  7. Re: Database

    I would like a copy of Power Base as well. Of course I am willing to pay.
    Anyone have a copy they want to sell?

    Richard

    > The message
    > from "AlanS" contains these words:
    >
    > > Microsoft Approach maybe....
    > > > Lotus Access??

    > Oh all right, I'm sorry... it was late at night and the whisky had
    > alcohol in it....
    >
    > Anyway, PowerBase looks like the one - anyone know where I can get it
    > from? Was Purple Software, I think.
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/
    > nb Lord Byron's Maggot

  8. Re: Database

    noVote wrote:
    > I would like a copy of Power Base as well. Of course I am willing to pay.

    > "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message

    > > Anyway, PowerBase looks like the one - anyone know where I can get it
    > > from? Was Purple Software, I think.

    You can still get the electronic distribution from www.handango.com

    Or go directly to

    http://tinyurl.com/252ya

    HTH

  9. Re: Database

    Arthur Marshall wrote:
    > Anyway, PowerBase looks like the one - anyone know where I can get it
    > from? Was Purple Software, I think.

    PowerBase might not be what you are looking for. It is fast, has an
    excellent and flexible GUI, BUT neither it is relational nor can you
    import fields with more than 256 bytes. Especially the latter makes it
    useless if you have to import a database from another computer.

    --
    Oliver

  10. Re: Database

    James Taylor wrote in message news:...
    > Perhaps what you're asking for is a relational database system?

    Try Psidat (relational and supportsd SQL) from www.millican.info

    bye

    Gary

  11. Re: Database

    Gary wrote:

    > James Taylor wrote in message
    >> Perhaps what you're asking for is a relational database system?

    > Try Psidat (relational and supportsd SQL) from www.millican.info

    To be exact: a subset of SQL. But still very nice.

    the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

    From the Brief Compendium of Not-So-Clever-Things to say:
    "Oh yeah? You and whose army?" (Polish prime minister, 1939)

+ Reply to Thread