WiFi and Psion - Scion

This is a discussion on WiFi and Psion - Scion ; The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of this...................? Steve...

  1. WiFi and Psion

    The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of
    this...................?
    Steve

  2. Re: WiFi and Psion

    I meant using WiFi with a real Psion - Psion 5(mx) or Revo, not Netbook or
    7. (Duck!!)
    Steve

    "steve" wrote in message
    > The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of
    > this...................?
    > Steve

  3. Re: WiFi and Psion

    No problem... if you are willing to a) write the drivers, b) figure out how
    to close the CF bay door on a 5mx after the wifi card is inserted (bulky
    antenna thingy on the cf wifi card). Remember, unless the CF door is closed
    no card will work, let a lone a wifi card.

    Richard

    "steve" wrote in message
    > I meant using WiFi with a real Psion - Psion 5(mx) or Revo, not Netbook or
    > 7. (Duck!!)
    > Steve
    >

    > "steve" wrote in message
    > > The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of
    > > this...................?
    > > Steve

  4. Re: WiFi and Psion

    Thanks. Yes, I think I knew some of that, and I realised that there is not
    a lot you can do with the CF slot apart from stuff a memory card into it. I
    suppose I was hoping that there was something that would interface with my
    Psion IR modem, for example...
    Steve

    "noVote" wrote in message
    news:cW6Tb.87049$9Ce1.75397@news04.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > No problem... if you are willing to a) write the drivers, b) figure out

    how
    > to close the CF bay door on a 5mx after the wifi card is inserted (bulky
    > antenna thingy on the cf wifi card). Remember, unless the CF door is

    closed
    > no card will work, let a lone a wifi card.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "steve" wrote in message
    > > I meant using WiFi with a real Psion - Psion 5(mx) or Revo, not Netbook

    or
    > > 7. (Duck!!)
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > "steve" wrote in message
    > > > The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of
    > > > this...................?
    > > > Steve

  5. Re: WiFi and Psion

    steve wrote:
    > The world has gone WiFi. Is there any way a Psioneer can make use of
    > this...................?
    > Steve

    OK, this may get a little weird, but bear with me.

    I've been playing with some kit at work recently which basically converts a
    serial port to RF (2.4GHz frequency, 100m range, but it *isnt* bluetooth
    despite what you might get told).

    http://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/radiotel/radiotel.html -> HPS120

    So, you have one on your Psion cable, one in the back of your PC, run
    MoccaPPP or something similar, and Bingo, you have internet and email at the
    bottom of your garden.

    The downside is that the RS232-to-RF converters need an external power
    supply of 5V to 12V (unless used with a PC and the supplied USB power cable)
    so you might need to make a battery box with a PP3 in it.

    Also, at 200 a pair a very long extension RS232 cable may prove cheaper.

    Cheers

    Paul B)

  6. Re: WiFi and Psion

    "steve" wrote in message news:...
    > I was hoping that there was something that would interface with my
    > Psion IR modem, for example...

    You can get your Psion on an ethernet network using an
    infrared-to-ethernet device. That would be close to imitating wifi,
    but you would need a clear line of sight to the IR-LAN device.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=irlan

    Erik Sandblom

+ Reply to Thread