Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries. - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries. - Scion ; Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng... As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault? It drains the back-up battery in a day or 2, even with fresh alkaline batteries. TIA. Paul B)...

  1. Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng...

    As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault?

    It drains the back-up battery in a day or 2, even with fresh alkaline
    batteries.

    TIA.

    Paul B)

  2. Re: Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    Paul Bunyan writes
    >Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng...
    >
    >As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault?
    >
    >It drains the back-up battery in a day or 2, even with fresh alkaline
    >batteries.

    The Series 5 has a couple of heavy-drain circuits which use significant
    current even when the screen is switched off. To conserve batteries, you
    must switch these circuits off manually:

    1. Voice notes audio circuit. Close the Voice Notes file, and any other
    audio recording file/s you may have open.
    Note that pressing the record button (red marking) on the outer case
    at any time will turn the circuit back on.

    2. Serial link circuit. Set the link to OFF, and not Cable or Infrared.

    If this doesn't help, the first suspect is the clamshell case's
    open/close microswitch. If this fails to operate, the screen remains on
    even when the case is closed. Workaround: switch the screen off manually
    before closing the case.

    Next suspect, maybe the backup battery is misbehaving. Try replacing it
    (make sure you put the new one in the right way up).

    If all this fails, your Series 5 is probably near the end of its life -
    get a 5mx while they are still out there.

    Cheers,
    Guy

  3. Re: Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    Paul Bunyan wrote:

    > Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng...
    >
    > As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault?

    Early Series 5 had problems with the software/circuitry which measured battery
    levels and commonly reported "you're battery is about to go" messages.

    If you take out backup battery and put it back in, does the "battery low"
    warning still occur, or does the S5 then go on for one more day before it
    starts to complain ?

    Do you have a voltmetre you could use to measure battery voltage after the 5
    has begun to complain about it ?

    Have you cleaned the contacts as well as the battery with alchool ? (removes
    grease and makes contact better).

    As long as you have fresh AA or mains power, the 5 shouldn't be consuming from
    the backup batteries, no matter what you have running.

  4. Re: Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Paul Bunyan wrote:
    > >
    > > Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng...
    > >
    > > As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault?

    > Early Series 5 had problems with the software/circuitry which measured

    battery
    > levels and commonly reported "you're battery is about to go" messages.
    >
    > If you take out backup battery and put it back in, does the "battery low"
    > warning still occur, or does the S5 then go on for one more day before it
    > starts to complain ?
    >
    > Do you have a voltmetre you could use to measure battery voltage after the

    5
    > has begun to complain about it ?
    >
    > Have you cleaned the contacts as well as the battery with alchool ?

    (removes
    > grease and makes contact better).
    >

    > As long as you have fresh AA or mains power, the 5 shouldn't be consuming

    from
    > the backup batteries, no matter what you have running.

    This happened to my 5mx, and it was also going through AA batteries in under
    10 hours usage (often around 6-8 hours)- a new mainboard was needed.
    Pinnock's said that these problems were usually caused by using a
    non-standard mains adapter.

    ---

  5. Re: Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    Take it out, clean it up, put it back in.

    If this does not help you prolly have a hardware problem.

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:45:43 -0000, "Paul Bunyan"
    wrote:

    >Sorry if this isnt relevant to this ng...
    >
    >As per subject. Anyone know the cause or cure? Is this a common fault?
    >
    >It drains the back-up battery in a day or 2, even with fresh alkaline
    >batteries.
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >Paul B)

  6. Re: Psion 5 eating through back-up batteries.

    False alarm. Seems I had purchased a bad batch (of 5) CR2032s.

    Thanks to those that replied.

    Paul B)

+ Reply to Thread