CE outsells PalmOS (Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003, IDC) - Scion

This is a discussion on CE outsells PalmOS (Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003, IDC) - Scion ; Quite interesting news (I thought Palm was till #1, but with MS catching up!)... IDC Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003 Operating System 2003 % Share 2002 % Share Growth Windows Mobile 1,422,765 55.6% 819,330 41.0% 73.6% Palm ...

  1. CE outsells PalmOS (Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003, IDC)

    Quite interesting news (I thought Palm was till #1, but with MS catching up!)...

    IDC Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003

    Operating System 2003 % Share 2002 % Share Growth

    Windows Mobile 1,422,765 55.6% 819,330 41.0% 73.6%
    Palm OS 1,038,590 40.6% 1,086,415 54.4% -4.4%
    Other 95,620 3.7% 91,815 4.6% 4.1%

    Source: IDC, 2004

    I took these numbers from this page (has much more statistics):
    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jhtml?cont...4_01_23_172835

    Best regards,

    martin törnsten -- former Psion/EPOC and HP/WinCE (HPC) user

    --
    http://82.182.73.126/

  2. Re: CE outsells PalmOS (Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares,

    > Quite interesting news (I thought Palm was till #1, but with MS
    > catching up!)...
    >
    > IDC Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares, 2003

    Yeah, but see http://www.canalys.com/pr/r2004011.htm

    Symbian smartphones MASSIVELY outsell both Palm OS and PPC together.

    Even Sony Ericcson (P800/P900) is only just behind Palm/HP, and that's
    including their entire line-up.
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  3. Re: CE outsells PalmOS (Western European Handheld Device Operating System Shares,

    Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:29 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
    received comm from usenet@ukonline.co.uk (Steve Litchfield) on channel
    comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Symbian smartphones MASSIVELY outsell both Palm OS and PPC together.
    :
    : Even Sony Ericcson (P800/P900) is only just behind Palm/HP, and that's
    : including their entire line-up.

    I don't think that's very surprising as the numbers of phones being sold are
    vastly greater than the numbers of handheld computers. Everyone I know has at
    least one mobile phone, but it's far from all who has any handheld computer.

    Personally I currently only has my mobile phone as both my old Psion and HP are
    broken, and my next device will probably be some kind of smart phone.

    Best regards,

    martin törnsten

    --
    http://82.182.73.126/