can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir? - Scion

This is a discussion on can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir? - Scion ; I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable. Can I make them communicate via the ir? Marckus...

  1. can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    Can I make them communicate via the ir?

    Marckus

  2. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    As I understand it, this will only work under one of the older versions of
    Windows, such as W95. I used to be able to synch by IR quite happily with
    my old W95 laptop, but had to switch to cable when my PC was upgraded (??)
    to W2000. Very annoying.
    Steve

    "John" wrote in message
    news:4016c0d6$0$1666$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk ...
    > I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    > Can I make them communicate via the ir?
    >
    > Marckus

  3. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:49:33 +0100, "John"
    wrote:

    >I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    >Can I make them communicate via the ir?

    Your Windows machine needs IrDA, and for PsiWin, needs IrCOMM,
    which makes IR work like a "legacy" serial port. PsiWin only
    understands serial ports (it does not support IR), so IrCOMM
    makes the IR look just like a standard serial port.

    For best results, use Windows 98(SE). Works for me first time
    (although a real serial port works much faster). Windows 95 will
    probably need IrDA installed, but should work fine once that is
    done.

    Windows NT does not have any IrDA support. Windows 2k and up
    have IrDA, but lack IrCOMM (Microsoft removed it). There are a
    number of patches to put IrCOMM back, but I have no idea how well
    they work.

    Extracts from say Contacts (card details) can be sent via IrOBEX,
    but that isn't the same as sending any arbitrary file. If you
    don't want to use PsiWin, then you may need plBeam (or the
    freeware equivalent) on the Psion to allow sending of arbitrary
    files.

    I've basically found IR on the Psion trouble free and reliable,
    at least to phones and printers. I certainly can't say the same
    for the handling of IR in Windows, once you go past Windows 98SE.

    Please note that when using PsiWin, various (unidentified) DLLs
    in some Windows products can break support for serial ports.
    This isn't an IR problem. It is a Windows DLL problem. Close
    everything you can in Windows, try a reset, etc.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/airlie
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  4. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:49:33 +0100, John wrote:

    > I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    > Can I make them communicate via the ir?

    If your laptop is running Win98, then there shouldn't be any problems.
    Open the Infrared settings in the control panel, enable infrared
    communications and note which COM port it is. It might be a good idea to
    limit the connection speed to 38.4kbps. Then use that COM port in PsiWin.

    If your laptop is running Win2000 or XP, then your only option is to use
    the IrComm driver found at . I haven't got around
    to trying it, so you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

    Cheers,
    --
    Andrew Gregory
    http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/ >

  5. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    I have a 5mxPro running over the integrated IR port of an Acer Laptop, using
    PsiWin and Ircomm2k with Windows XP Prof. at full speed. It was a bit
    tricky to get it running but since I got it working once I haven't had any
    problems any more.

    Wolfgang

    "Andrew Gregory" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    newspr2gt9dn7h8omb3@freenews.iinet.net.au...
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:49:33 +0100, John wrote:
    >
    > > I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    > > Can I make them communicate via the ir?

    > If your laptop is running Win98, then there shouldn't be any problems.
    > Open the Infrared settings in the control panel, enable infrared
    > communications and note which COM port it is. It might be a good idea to
    > limit the connection speed to 38.4kbps. Then use that COM port in PsiWin.
    >
    > If your laptop is running Win2000 or XP, then your only option is to use
    > the IrComm driver found at . I haven't got around
    > to trying it, so you'll have to figure it out for yourself.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Andrew Gregory
    > http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/ >

  6. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    Wolfgang
    Thanks for that news. I remember trying, and giving up, with W2000 and
    Ircomm2k.
    Do you have a step-by-step guide to getting it working, or at least the main
    bullet point do's and don'ts?
    Thanbks
    Steve

    "Wolfgang" wrote in message
    news:40175d9f$0$27338$91cee783@newsreader02.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > I have a 5mxPro running over the integrated IR port of an Acer Laptop,

    using
    > PsiWin and Ircomm2k with Windows XP Prof. at full speed. It was a bit
    > tricky to get it running but since I got it working once I haven't had any
    > problems any more.
    >
    > Wolfgang

  7. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    Well, not really, but I remember it started working when I assigned COM6 to
    the IR port. It seemed that PsiWin (or was it Windows XP?) didn't like COM
    parts up to 4, maybe because these are usually hardware COM ports.

    Just install IRCOMM2k first, assign COM6, then PwiWin and it should work.

    The only minor problem I still face is when I interrupt an established
    connection it doesn't want to start up again very easy (sometimes does,
    sometimes not, I'm not sure on what it depends), but logout from Windows and
    log in again always solves this problem.

    Hope this helps a little bit

    Wolfgang

    "steve" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Wolfgang
    > Thanks for that news. I remember trying, and giving up, with W2000 and
    > Ircomm2k.
    > Do you have a step-by-step guide to getting it working, or at least the

    main
    > bullet point do's and don'ts?
    > Thanbks
    > Steve
    >

    > "Wolfgang" wrote in message
    > news:40175d9f$0$27338$91cee783@newsreader02.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > > I have a 5mxPro running over the integrated IR port of an Acer Laptop,

    > using
    > > PsiWin and Ircomm2k with Windows XP Prof. at full speed. It was a bit
    > > tricky to get it running but since I got it working once I haven't had

    any
    > > problems any more.
    > >
    > > Wolfgang

  8. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    I have a laptop with WinXp, no COM port, but IR.

    I installed ircomm2k, assigned it to COM4, and manually set the speeds on
    both the psion and psiwin. It works fine, though the reliability of getting
    a connection isn't that high - but was it ever?

    I will try COM6 - might improve reliability, but otherwise it does work.

    Duncan.

    "Wolfgang" wrote in message
    news:4017736e$0$20840$91cee783@newsreader01.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > Well, not really, but I remember it started working when I assigned COM6

    > the IR port. It seemed that PsiWin (or was it Windows XP?) didn't like COM
    > parts up to 4, maybe because these are usually hardware COM ports.
    >
    > Just install IRCOMM2k first, assign COM6, then PwiWin and it should work.
    >
    > The only minor problem I still face is when I interrupt an established
    > connection it doesn't want to start up again very easy (sometimes does,
    > sometimes not, I'm not sure on what it depends), but logout from Windows

    and
    > log in again always solves this problem.
    >
    > Hope this helps a little bit
    >
    > Wolfgang
    >

    > "steve" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Wolfgang
    > > Thanks for that news. I remember trying, and giving up, with W2000 and
    > > Ircomm2k.
    > > Do you have a step-by-step guide to getting it working, or at least the

    > main
    > > bullet point do's and don'ts?
    > > Thanbks
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > "Wolfgang" wrote in message
    > > news:40175d9f$0$27338$91cee783@newsreader02.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > > > I have a 5mxPro running over the integrated IR port of an Acer Laptop,

    > > using
    > > > PsiWin and Ircomm2k with Windows XP Prof. at full speed. It was a bit
    > > > tricky to get it running but since I got it working once I haven't had

    > any
    > > > problems any more.
    > > >
    > > > Wolfgang

  9. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    It seems that some people have got IR to work on recent versions of Windows.
    However, I wonder if this has just been a limited sort of functionality -
    that is, the transfer of files. I seem to remember being told that it is
    impossible to get it to work in terms of proper synchronisation with Lotus
    Notes, OE, etc using InSync Pro or IntellisyncIR. Is this right?
    Steve

    "John" wrote in message
    news:4016c0d6$0$1666$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk ...
    > I just got a 5mx, and have a laptop with ir. I dont have a serialcable.
    > Can I make them communicate via the ir?
    >
    > Marckus

  10. Re: can 5mx communicate with laptop via ir?

    --
    Andrew Gregory
    http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/ >

+ Reply to Thread