Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking - Scion

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking - Scion ; Recently got a Siemens M55 which is supposeldy based on Symbian OS (aka EPOC32). I find it interesting that PSION had gone through great lengths to create a preemptive multitasking operating system (with real time capabilities), yet, in the phone, ...

  1. Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    Recently got a Siemens M55 which is supposeldy based on Symbian OS (aka EPOC32).

    I find it interesting that PSION had gone through great lengths to create a
    preemptive multitasking operating system (with real time capabilities), yet,
    in the phone, there is absolutely no concept of this. If you need to go to the
    file manager from the wap browser, you end up quitting the wap browser and go
    to the file manager. when you retrun, you have to start from scratch.
    (cumbersome when you are accessing WAP sites that need basic authentication
    (username password).

    Do any other mobile phones based on Symbian offer multitasking on the handset,
    or do they all hide this capability unless you spen the big bucks to get an
    integrated PDA/phone that is Symbian OS based ?

    The screen on that phone may be smaller (160*120 pixels), but it certaintly is
    far more readable than that of a Series 5 machine. It is colour TFT. but even
    with the backlight off, you can read the screen in bright environments.

  2. Re: Fuzzy thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Recently got a Siemens M55 which is supposeldy based on Symbian
    > OS (aka EPOC32).

    *WRONG*

    Mezei, I'm absolutely stunned that yet again you've gone out and made a
    purchase based upon your own inaccurate supposition.

    It took me several minutes to regain my composure and write this.

    For the last 7 years you haven't shut up about your 'paperweight' and
    now you've gone and done it all over again. God help everyone over in
    alt.cellular.siemens who are no doubt in for another broken-mirror's
    worth of whining and you slowly discover all the things it can't do
    but you assumed it would. I just hope it can save in RTF or they're
    done for, for sure.

    It just makes me wonder how many other purchases you have made of similar
    ilk. You think after being 'bitten' once you'd be twice shy.

    > Do any other mobile phones based on Symbian offer multitasking on
    > the handset,

    Well, you'd have to use a first before we can start talking about others
    but sure, they're multitasking. Why not, just for once, go to symbian.com
    and find out for yourself?

    > The screen on that phone may be smaller (160*120 pixels)

    That's quite small. You should have got one of those Symbian phones with
    a 176x208 screen.

    > it certaintly is far more readable than that of a Series 5 machine.

    Well isn't it amazing what 7 years R&D and a switch to TFT technology
    can do.

  3. Re: Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:51:43 -0500, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    >Recently got a Siemens M55 which is supposeldy based on Symbian OS (aka EPOC32).

    I thought that the only Siemens phone with a Symbian base was
    the SX1? Are you sure the M55 is Symbian based (haven't seen it
    here)?

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/airlie
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  4. Re: Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    Eric Lindsay's spam trap wrote:
    > I thought that the only Siemens phone with a Symbian base was
    > the SX1? Are you sure the M55 is Symbian based (haven't seen it
    > here)?

    I am not 100% sure. however, it runs java, has the openwave browser, gprs ,
    syncml as well as a proprietary software that works only with windows. All
    signs of EPOC32/Symbian OS.

    The UI design is the pitts on that phone (M55). Sometimes, it is the right
    button to open something, sometimes it is the left button. At least this time,
    I only sank $25 on that symbian OS based phone, unlike when I had sunk $1000
    for the series 5 with all its flaws. I will probably return to Nokia for my
    next phone. Hopefully they won't have wrecked they superior user interfaces of
    previous generation phones.

    Oh and there is even a menu option to format the drive and defragment it :-)
    (remember, this is a phone :-)

  5. Re: Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    In article <40172F50.DA487553@istop.com>, jfmezei.spamnot@istop.com
    says...

    > Eric Lindsay wrote:
    > > Are you sure the M55 is Symbian based (haven't seen it here)?

    > I am not 100% sure.

    that means you simply *don't know* if it's Symbian OS based or not.

    > At least this time, I only sank $25 on that symbian OS based phone,

    um, on *which* Symbian OS based phone? You mean the one you're not even
    sure *if* at all it's symbian OS based?
    LoL! Your posts always have been ..amusing ...somehow.

    > unlike when I had sunk $1000 for the series 5 with all its flaws.

    At least the Series 5 enabled you to post myriads of complaints in the
    comp.sys.psion.* newsgroups, for years. Think about it..what hobby you've
    found: posting complaints! (rather than using the time to look for the
    hardware that finally suits your individual needs). So if there's nothing
    to say just say it anyway
    Some people waste their time in pubs - you don't.

    > I will probably return to Nokia for my next phone.

    who cares. (SCNR)

    > Hopefully they won't have wrecked they superior user interfaces of
    > previous generation phones.

    yes puhleeeeze make yourself happy by switching over to the Nokia related
    newsgroups.

    > Oh and there is even a menu option to format the drive and defragment it :-)
    > (remember, this is a phone :-)

    I got the impression it doesn't matter if it's a phone or not as long
    as it's an item -any item- you can complain about.

    --
    Rgds,
    J.Klug

  6. Re: Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    JF Mezei wrote in message news:<40172F50.DA487553@istop.com>...
    > Are you sure the M55 is Symbian based
    >
    > I am not 100% sure. however, it runs java, has the openwave browser, gprs ,
    > syncml as well as a proprietary software that works only with windows. All
    > signs of EPOC32/Symbian OS.

    I don't think it's a symbian phone. It's not listed here
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/devices/

    Everyone and their cat runs Java and has a browser. The proprietary
    software could of course come from anywhere and not necessarily be
    tied to Symbian.

    Erik Sandblom

  7. Re: Thoughts on Symbian and multitasking

    Erik Sandblom wrote:
    > I don't think it's a symbian phone. It's not listed here
    > http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/devices/
    >
    > Everyone and their cat runs Java and has a browser. The proprietary
    > software could of course come from anywhere and not necessarily be
    > tied to Symbian.

    Just seems odd that Siemens would release such a function-laden phone on a
    proprietary OS after it had announced joining Symbian.

    Someone told me that the lower end phone tend to get a cheaper license of EPOC
    which does not include PDA style functionlaity such as multitasking for
    applications. Is it possible that the allaboutsymbian site only lists devices
    that got the full license for EPOC/Symbian OS ?

    Note that the phone makes absolutely no mention of Symbian. Would a Symbian
    based phone be required to mention Symbian someowhere ?

    If I go to the information screen, it mentions a software date of 2003-08-01,
    variant A 950

    I can get to another screen called "CC Monitor" which lists what appears to be processes
    (General, Setup, Network, Battery, Diagnosis) (this is obtained while in the
    setup program)

+ Reply to Thread