Zaurus C860 as a replacement? - Scion

This is a discussion on Zaurus C860 as a replacement? - Scion ; Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:29:48 +0000 Message-ID: Have any Psion guys replaced their machines with a Zaurus c860 (or c750)? Any comments to make? Thanks. Ralph -- Prof Ralph Martin Dept of Computer Science Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536 Cardiff ...

  1. Zaurus C860 as a replacement?

    Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:29:48 +0000

    --
    Prof Ralph Martin
    Dept of Computer Science Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
    Cardiff University Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4598
    PO Box 916, 5 The Parade Email: mailto:ralph@cs.cf.ac.uk
    Cardiff, CF24 3XF, United Kingdom WWW: http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/

  2. Re: Zaurus C860 as a replacement?

    Ralph Martin writes:

    > Have any Psion guys replaced their machines with a Zaurus c860 (or c750)?

    My apologies for this me-too message, but I am seriously
    considering a clamshell Zaurus myself as well, so I just wanted
    to join Mr Martin in asking for any comments or experiences from
    the people in this newsgroup. It would be most appreciated!

    --
    Leo Breebaart

  3. Re: Zaurus C860 as a replacement?

    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:55:42 +0000
    Thanks for your comments Fred.

    I have now got to see a Zaurus c750, and the screen is damn good - but
    small. The keyboard is quite usable, though finding keys (e.g. esc) can
    be a pain.

    I think I'm going to try to get one.

    Ralph

    --
    Prof Ralph Martin
    Dept of Computer Science Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
    Cardiff University Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4598
    PO Box 916, 5 The Parade Email: mailto:ralph@cs.cf.ac.uk
    Cardiff, CF24 3XF, United Kingdom WWW: http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/

  4. Re: Zaurus C860 as a replacement?

    Ralph Martin said :

    > I have now got to see a Zaurus c750, and the screen is damn good - but
    > small. The keyboard is quite usable, though finding keys (e.g. esc) can
    > be a pain.

    If I understand correctly, the only difference between the 750 and the 760
    models is that the latter has twice the memory and twice the battery
    capacity of the former. This makes it thicker and heavier, but also more
    enduring ; while it is possible to buy a spare 750 battery for a 760, thus
    making it the same size/weight, you can't upgrade a 750's memory. So given
    the price difference, a 760 might be a better buy if you can get a good
    deal on it.

    Likewise, I have read (but not verified) that the newer 860, apart from
    cosmetics, is identical hardware-wise to the 760 ; all additional
    functionality comes from its firmware, which is available separately and
    flashable on a 760.

    > I think I'm going to try to get one.

    If you have time to closely monitor your local user group forums, you may
    chance upon one of those aficionados who live on the bleeding edge and swap
    PDAs every few months, selling one at a very good price, often bundled with
    useful add-ons (CF or WiFi cards etc.). But you need to pay attention and
    react quickly because these offers are scarce and sell fast... Just last
    week here in Paris I missed out on a very good deal by a matter of hours.

    --
    YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/

+ Reply to Thread