eBay and Psion - Scion

This is a discussion on eBay and Psion - Scion ; Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling? ...

  1. eBay and Psion

    Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a
    Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for
    me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?

    Cheers
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  2. Re: eBay and Psion

    Yes, that is the last time I used it a few months ago, it did. However, you
    have to disable javascript in order to browse/search eBay items.

    Richard

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote in message
    news:memo.20040124150810.3060L@slitchfield.ukonlin e.co.uk...
    > Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a
    > Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for
    > me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?
    >
    > Cheers
    > __________________________________________________ __________________
    > Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    > For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    > Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    > Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    > Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    > PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    > PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    > Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    > Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  3. Re: eBay and Psion

    > Yes, that is the last time I used it a few months ago, it did. However,
    > you
    > have to disable javascript in order to browse/search eBay items.

    You mean disable it for browsing, and then re-enable it for
    buying/selling, etc?
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  4. Re: eBay and Psion

    > You mean disable it for browsing, and then re-enable it for
    > buying/selling, etc?

    Not sure, I never bought or sold anything via Opera on a Psion. I do know
    however, if you do not disable JavaScript while browsing or doing a search,
    it will crash Opera.

    news:memo.20040124184159.3060Q@slitchfield.ukonlin e.co.uk...
    > > Yes, that is the last time I used it a few months ago, it did. However,
    > > you
    > > have to disable javascript in order to browse/search eBay items.

    > __________________________________________________ __________________
    > Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    > For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    > Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    > Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    > Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    > PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    > PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    > Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    > Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  5. Re: eBay and Psion

    > however, if you do not disable JavaScript while browsing or doing a
    > search,
    > it will crash Opera.

    Was this v3 or v5?

    And anybody else here tried it on a S7/netBook?

    Cheers
    Steve

  6. Re: eBay and Psion

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:08 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
    usenet@ukonline.co.uk (Steve Litchfield) wrote:

    > Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a
    > Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for
    > me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?

    I've no problem (apart from real estate, you'll need either rather
    small characters or some horizontal scrolling) with eBay searches
    (it happens quite often that I follow an item on my 7book; it's far
    easier to tote around than a 15" laptop). Opera has no problems
    displaying search lists, or individual items. Placing bids is also
    not a problem.
    A couple of issues, though. First, the IP stack has a tendency to
    freeze, switching away from Opera and back seems to help most of
    the time(*). Second, I'm far happier with a WiFi connection than with
    a fixed one. My 7book is a lot faster (network wise) with the WiFi,
    and more reliable as well (I don't know why, but netstatRF always
    give a Tx rate of 2Mbps, far less than my laptop, which runs at 11Mbps
    from exactly the same location). I think the hardware is straining
    at the higher bit rates, and that this contributes to the uneasy
    feeling. Third, set up a local caching proxy, and reduce the caching
    in Opera. In my experience, it's much faster and more reliable than
    accessing the Internet directly.

    (*) I seem to remember having read about a patch for that problem,
    but I can't find the reference.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan
    --

  7. Re: eBay and Psion

    > Was this v3 or v5?

    V5

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote in message
    news:memo.20040125063854.3060U@slitchfield.ukonlin e.co.uk...
    > > however, if you do not disable JavaScript while browsing or doing a
    > > search,
    > > it will crash Opera.

    > And anybody else here tried it on a S7/netBook?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Steve

  8. Re: eBay and Psion

    > Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on
    > a Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here
    > for me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?

    In the interests of science, I set aside an hour or so and did my own
    experiments 8-)

    Using a humble 5mx and 14.4k Travel Modem, which made it all very slow,
    but....

    Browsing and bidding on ebay were no problem at all. Surprisingly. Both
    Web and Opera seemed to be about the same speed and neither balked at the
    javascript peppered throughout the pages.

    So a S7 or netBook with a 56K Gold Card should fly through!!

    My customer is interested in using a netBook as his sole computer, making
    this a very interesting project for us both! 8-)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  9. Re: eBay and Psion

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:35 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    usenet@ukonline.co.uk (Steve Litchfield) wrote:

    >Browsing and bidding on ebay were no problem at all. Surprisingly. Both
    >Web and Opera seemed to be about the same speed and neither balked at the
    >javascript peppered throughout the pages.

    That is pretty cool. I've had so many large company web pages
    (who really should welcome my custom) give trouble on a Windows
    PC using Opera 6 that I'd just assumed it wasn't even worth
    trying them on my Psion 7. Usually I only check that my own site
    doesn't break on a Psion (everything in the way of presentation
    is done with style sheets, which the Psion happily ignores).

    >My customer is interested in using a netBook as his sole computer, making
    >this a very interesting project for us both! 8-)

    One of the gadgets I'm about to get is an Addonics 18 in 1
    multifunction recorder. This is a portable, removeable
    rechargeable battery and mains powered DVD player/CD burner with
    a USB interface. It can be used as a DVD to TV player, or as a
    CD or MP3 player, or as an external DVD/CD. Although I'm getting
    it for use with a digital camera on long field trips, the
    interesting part to me as a Psion owner is the camera card reader
    built into it. It will accept any of about 8 different camera
    cards, including all the Compact Flash ones. Further, it will
    burn them onto a CD for you, without any computer. It doesn't
    care if the card comes from a camera or not. I see it as instant
    backups of my Psion when I'm well away from a computer. I also
    imagine it will play MP3 a lot better than a Psion :-)

    I'm thinking more and more of looking at dedicated devices
    reducing my use of a Windows computer. Hence the above gadget.

    This approach probably isn't as cheap as a computer, but the
    frustration and annoyance level looks a lot lower. Just a matter
    of seeing whether the Psion can take on all the "computer" tasks
    for which I can't find a dedicated device.

    We have certainly had some people posting on this newsgroup who
    do essentially use a Psion as their only computer. I'm sure they
    will comment. I hope you will also report on the results, and
    what can't be managed just on a Psion. Good luck.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/airlie
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  10. Re: eBay and Psion

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote in message
    news:memo.20040125203508.940B@slitchfield.ukonline .co.uk...

    > My customer is interested in using a netBook as his sole computer, making
    > this a very interesting project for us both! 8-)

    Will you be taking before and after photos of his grey hairs?

    Just *thinking* about using Web and Opera makes me annoyed
    and frustrated...

+ Reply to Thread