Navtech Sierra 7 - Scion

This is a discussion on Navtech Sierra 7 - Scion ; Hello, Has anyone used and can recommend Navtech's Sierra 7 flight software (with moving maps) for Psion 5mx? I am in the middle of getting my pilot's licence and was wondering if this would be worth while software for a ...

  1. Navtech Sierra 7

    Hello,
    Has anyone used and can recommend Navtech's Sierra 7 flight software (with
    moving maps) for Psion 5mx? I am in the middle of getting my pilot's licence
    and was wondering if this would be worth while software for a private pilot.

    Thanks
    Richard

  2. Re: Navtech Sierra 7

    "noVote" wrote in message
    news:1pPPb.88265$nl2.32637@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
    > Hello,
    > Has anyone used and can recommend Navtech's Sierra 7 flight software (with
    > moving maps) for Psion 5mx? I am in the middle of getting my pilot's

    licence
    > and was wondering if this would be worth while software for a private

    pilot.

    I have it. I have never used the moving map part as I think it would be of
    limited use given the monochrome screen. The other tools are fine and it
    makes VFR flight planning very quick. It is a very slick programme, if
    somewhat expensive.

  3. Re: Navtech Sierra 7

    Thanks Ric. So are you recommend the basic package without GPS and moving
    map? Is the GPS part only used in the mapping portion or are other
    calculations derived from it?

    Thanks again
    Richard

    "Ric" wrote in message

    > "noVote" wrote in message
    > news:1pPPb.88265$nl2.32637@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
    > > Hello,
    > > Has anyone used and can recommend Navtech's Sierra 7 flight software

    (with
    > > moving maps) for Psion 5mx? I am in the middle of getting my pilot's

    > licence
    > > and was wondering if this would be worth while software for a private

    > pilot.
    > >

    > I have it. I have never used the moving map part as I think it would be of
    > limited use given the monochrome screen. The other tools are fine and it
    > makes VFR flight planning very quick. It is a very slick programme, if
    > somewhat expensive.

  4. Re: Navtech Sierra 7

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:31:57 GMT, "noVote" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Has anyone used and can recommend Navtech's Sierra 7 flight software (with
    >moving maps) for Psion 5mx? I am in the middle of getting my pilot's licence
    >and was wondering if this would be worth while software for a private pilot.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Richard

    I've used Sierra 6 and now Sierra 7 on my 3a and it works well. I use
    it all the time and have never found a problem when checked against
    manual calculations. The GPS is nice but not easy to mount and use in
    flight. Tried it once but only bare map details (coastline), though
    you still have the other parameters on screen like CDI speeds and
    heading etc.. The simulator is useful to check routes, especially
    finding errors with your own waypoints.

    You can store routes for future and retrieve quickly with new Wind
    direction/velocity. Database can be manually updated but rather slow
    as it has to be done manually. i.e. cannot import for another database
    - unless somebody knows better!

    I'm now in the process of getting an iPAQ2210 and will upgrade to
    their EFIS version. Doubt I'll use the GPS but you never know as it
    should be easier to read than the 3a.

    David

    Piper Warrior G-BHJO
    Scotland, UK