Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx - Scion

This is a discussion on Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx - Scion ; I was recently working on a approx 500k file using Data & got a message that it could not write to disk. I hit the retry button several times without success. I then hit the stop button & it crashed ...

  1. Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    I was recently working on a approx 500k file using Data & got a message that
    it could not write to disk. I hit the retry button several times without
    success. I then hit the stop button & it crashed the machine. I did a soft
    reset & went back to the folder the problem Data file is in. When I opened
    the folder it now shows as corrupt. I use this folder as a My Documents
    folder, so it has several files from several apps in it. I can't get to any
    of these now.

    I tried using the app Esential Disk Utilites to see what I could do, but it
    shows the disk in use even though nothing shows up in the system sreen other
    than the System & the app I'm using.

    This folder is on the CF card.

    Any ideas as to how I can recover these files? I haven't backed up in a
    while & it would be a time consuming process to re-do the files from
    scratch.

    Thanks in advance for any help
    Reiner

  2. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    Can you read the rest of the CF card?

    Andy

    ---

  3. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    In article ,
    "Reiner" writes:
    >Any ideas as to how I can recover these files? I haven't backed up in a
    >while & it would be a time consuming process to re-do the files from
    >scratch.

    Try to read it (via a CF adaptor) on a PC, or maybe on other devices
    accepting CFes and hookable to PCs (cameras...)

    --
    Colas Nahaboo, ILOG R&D Sophia Antipolis, http://colas.nahaboo.net

  4. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    yes, the rest of the card seems fine. I've been through several folders &
    haven't found any problems.

    "AndyH" wrote in message
    > Can you read the rest of the CF card?
    >
    > Andy
    >

    > ---

  5. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    I'm working on that now. I need to get a CF card reader. I'll let you know
    if that works.

    "Colas Nahaboo" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Reiner" writes:
    > >Any ideas as to how I can recover these files? I haven't backed up in a
    > >while & it would be a time consuming process to re-do the files from
    > >scratch.

    > Try to read it (via a CF adaptor) on a PC, or maybe on other devices
    > accepting CFes and hookable to PCs (cameras...)
    >
    > --
    > Colas Nahaboo, ILOG R&D Sophia Antipolis, http://colas.nahaboo.net

  6. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:01:08 -0600, Reiner wrote:

    > I was recently working on a approx 500k file using Data & got a message
    > that
    > it could not write to disk. I hit the retry button several times without
    > success. I then hit the stop button & it crashed the machine. I did a
    > soft
    > reset & went back to the folder the problem Data file is in. When I
    > opened
    > the folder it now shows as corrupt. I use this folder as a My Documents
    > folder, so it has several files from several apps in it. I can't get to
    > any
    > of these now.
    >
    > I tried using the app Esential Disk Utilites to see what I could do, but
    > it
    > shows the disk in use even though nothing shows up in the system sreen
    > other
    > than the System & the app I'm using.

    Try again a soft reset, but hold the pin down for something like 10-15
    seconds. This might just drop the threads.

    You could also try using eshell with the sub-shell to see which
    threads are still active . You could then try to see
    if it will stop the thread in question. I haven't tried this myself but
    in desperate times . . .

    Something much more straight forward is to try a hard reset (but first
    backup your data). I would advise against pulling out your card with the
    processor still running any threads. The electrical charge might damage
    the flash card/corrupt the data.

    Regards,

    Mick

  7. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    I tried a soft reset & a hard reset. Neither of those worked.

    I bought a compact flash reader & plugged it into my WindowsXP Pro laptop.
    When I put the card in, XP saw all the files.

    I then put it back into the Psion 5mx & opened the corrupt folder. The Data
    file I was working on is gone, but all the other files are there &
    apparently working (haven't checked all yet).

    Seems like Windows cleaned up the corrupt FAT. It's a good thing.

    I plan to backup to my laptop as well as another CF card that I keep with
    the Psion.

    Thanks for the help & suggestions from all.

  8. Re: Corrupt Folder Recovery in Series 5mx

    I tried a soft reset & a hard reset. Neither of those worked.

    I bought a compact flash reader & plugged it into my WindowsXP Pro laptop.
    When I put the card in, XP saw all the files.

    I then put it back into the Psion 5mx & opened the corrupt folder. The Data
    file I was working on is gone, but all the other files are there &
    apparently working (haven't checked all yet).

    Seems like Windows cleaned up the corrupt FAT. It's a good thing.

    I plan to backup to my laptop as well as another CF card that I keep with
    the Psion.

    Thanks for the help & suggestions from all.

  9. Re: eBay and Psion

    Steve Litchfield wrote:
    > Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a
    > Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for
    > me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?

    I did -- a couple of times for bidding/purchasing. I can confirm,
    this works with my netBook (the latest OS version with Opera 5.1
    build-in).

    Indeed, Java Scripts need to be disabled for searching the site in
    order to prevent Opera from crashing. (I don't remember whether it'
    s necessary to turn Scripts on again in order to bid.)

    I was also able to register with Billpoint and pay for the items
    on-line. Never tried to sell anything though.

    HTH

  10. Re: eBay and Psion

    Steve Litchfield wrote:
    > Can someone confirm for me that eBay is usable using Opera (or Web) on a
    > Series 7/netBook? A customer needs to know before he treks over here for
    > me to set things up. Anyone used it for real, for buying/selling?

    I did -- a couple of times for bidding/purchasing. I can confirm,
    this works with my netBook (the latest OS version with Opera 5.1
    build-in).

    Indeed, Java Scripts need to be disabled for searching the site in
    order to prevent Opera from crashing. (I don't remember whether it'
    s necessary to turn Scripts on again in order to bid.)

    I was also able to register with Billpoint and pay for the items
    on-line. Never tried to sell anything though.

    HTH

+ Reply to Thread