OMG, netBook discontinued - Scion

This is a discussion on OMG, netBook discontinued - Scion ; real-address-in-sig@flur.blti gibbet (Rowland McDonnell) writes: > David Kastrup wrote: > > > real-address-in-sig@flur.blti gibbet (Rowland McDonnell) writes: > > > > > I know it's very reliable, very efficient, very nice - but > > > there's nothing like on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland McDonnell) writes:

    > David Kastrup wrote:
    >
    > > real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland McDonnell) writes:
    > >
    > > > I know it's very reliable, very efficient, very nice - but
    > > > there's nothing like on
    > > > RISC OS, is there[1]?
    > > >
    > > > [1] Admittedly there's nothing like preview-TeX on my Mac - but
    > > > just you wait until I've upgraded to MacOS X 10.3 and got X
    > > > Windows sorted out.

    > > There is a reason that some people refer to this package just as
    > > you-know-what. Keyword sniffers are everywhere.

    > I can run, but not, it seems, hide.
    >
    > > FWIW, image support for Carbon has just been checked into the
    > > Emacs CVS repository. So you can at your choice either get X
    > > sorted out, or install a recent developer version of Emacs.

    > Righto - thanks for that.
    >
    > I think I'll still wait for XEmacs; I've been unimpressed with the
    > Aqua Emacs ports I've tried out so far for various reasons.

    Uh, XEmacs is an entirely different beast to Emacs under X. Does it
    have a working Aqua port with image support?

  2. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    David Kastrup wrote:

    > real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland McDonnell) writes:
    >
    > > David Kastrup wrote:

    [snip]

    > > > FWIW, image support for Carbon has just been checked into the
    > > > Emacs CVS repository. So you can at your choice either get X
    > > > sorted out, or install a recent developer version of Emacs.

    > > Righto - thanks for that.
    > >
    > > I think I'll still wait for XEmacs; I've been unimpressed with the
    > > Aqua Emacs ports I've tried out so far for various reasons.

    > Uh, XEmacs is an entirely different beast to Emacs under X.

    Ah. My excuse is that I last used Emacs seriously in about 1990, on a
    VT100 terminal connected to a 68020-powered Apollo DN330 (2MB RAM, 70MB
    HD, 8" floppy, ~1kW. It was free and we had two Unix gurus in the
    house.)

    > Does it
    > have a working Aqua port with image support?

    I don't know; hasn't
    made any progress since August 2002, and proudly boasts of the new
    release which will work with MacOS X 10.2; we're up to 10.3.2 at the
    moment. I can't see anything to tell me whether there's image support
    or not.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  3. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    On the 13 Jan 2004, real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland
    McDonnell) wrote:

    > Graham Thurlwell wrote:
    >
    > > On the 3 Jan 2004, real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland
    > > McDonnell) wrote:
    > >

    > > > But I have a need for 'net access and typesetting and suchlike.
    > > > What choice do I have?

    > > How about a RISC OS machine?

    > It's like this: compare the amount of TeX-related software available for
    > Unix to that with RISC OS. And I *know* Macs have gone all
    > anti-aliased, but I don't like it.

    Not really my field, but http://www.davidbryan.co.uk/riscos/armtex/ was
    mentioned in one of the comp.sys.acorn groups recently. You could
    always ask on comp.sys.acorn.apps

    > Yes, I like RISC OS in principle - but... Umm... People criticise Macs
    > because they're lacking software. Well, no they're not (unless you mean
    > `games' by `software'); but RISC OS *is* short of software.

    Depends what you're looking for. I'm not missing anything in
    particular - although the web browsers could be better, I've not had
    many problems with the sites I regularly visit. About the only thing
    that's really missing is up-to-date Flash/Director support - and that's
    apparently due to the cost of the license.

    Ovation Pro is a superb DTP package and beats anything on the PC or Mac
    short of Quark - which is over twice the price.

    > It doesn't help that I'm hopelessly addicted to MacSoup (The One True
    > Newsreader).

    Pfft. The One True Newsreader is, in fact, Messenger Pro. ;-)

    --
    Graham Thurlwell.
    Jades' First Encounters Site.

  4. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    Graham Thurlwell wrote:

    > On the 13 Jan 2004, real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland
    > McDonnell) wrote:
    >
    > > Graham Thurlwell wrote:

    > > > How about a RISC OS machine?

    > > It's like this: compare the amount of TeX-related software available for
    > > Unix to that with RISC OS. And I *know* Macs have gone all
    > > anti-aliased, but I don't like it.

    > Not really my field, but http://www.davidbryan.co.uk/riscos/armtex/ was
    > mentioned in one of the comp.sys.acorn groups recently. You could
    > always ask on comp.sys.acorn.apps

    I know about armtex. I can best explain the problem this way: last
    update 10 May 99. Granted, you can add all the macro additions made
    since then with no trouble at all, but I need a modern pdfTeX.

    > > Yes, I like RISC OS in principle - but... Umm... People criticise Macs
    > > because they're lacking software. Well, no they're not (unless you mean
    > > `games' by `software'); but RISC OS *is* short of software.

    > Depends what you're looking for. I'm not missing anything in
    > particular - although the web browsers could be better, I've not had
    > many problems with the sites I regularly visit. About the only thing
    > that's really missing is up-to-date Flash/Director support - and that's
    > apparently due to the cost of the license.

    There's a lot of things in particular that I now have on this Mac which
    aren't available on RISC OS - things which I have a particular use for.
    I could name them, but the list is too long. I'd *like* a RISC OS
    computer, but I'd be frustrated if I had to use one all the time. Look
    at it like this: there's a lot of software I want to use that's only
    available on Unix. Come the next OS update I buy, I'm not only going to
    have a Unix shell available as I currently do (after a bash at tcsh, I
    had a bash at bash and liked it), but also X Windows - all working out
    of the box. I get the power of Unix and the usability of Macs all
    rolled into one. I'd also like RISC OS stability - that *should* come,
    eventually...

    (anyway, old Archimedes computers aren't as cute as old Macs - even if
    they are more reliable... Yes, trying to use an old Mac for anything
    but a networked text editing box would be extremely frustrating these
    days. I've got used to having some power. Hell, I've got two 1.25GHz
    CPUs and an OS that's exceptionally good at multitasking and symmetrical
    multiprocessing, not to mention staggeringly efficient VM and 1GB RAM
    (what do *I* need that for?) backed by a stupid amount of HD space. I
    get to render pdfs on screen with no discernable delay while running two
    setiathome processes. I admit it: I'm spoilt by having access to really
    obscene processing power)

    > Ovation Pro is a superb DTP package and beats anything on the PC or Mac
    > short of Quark - which is over twice the price.

    For my needs, it doesn't come close to LaTeX, which is free (okay, so
    maybe you do need a shareware or commercial TeX distribution to be able
    to use LaTeX with anything but command-line or Emacs pain). Quark's
    ****e for me, anyway - it can't do what I need. Adobe InDesign at least
    has a decent typsetting algorithm.

    One example: I maintain a database file of my music collection (for
    insurance, y'see). I use LaTeX to produce a nicely typeset version of
    this file to print out and keep somewhere safe, and email somewhere safe
    in pdf form (if only because using LaTeX to do it gives me a printout
    about half the size of using my database application to do the same
    thing). I spent quite some time and several headaches writing a file to
    do the job. As a result, every time I want a printout, I save the
    database to a tab delimited text file, run it through a filter, run my
    `typeset the output file' past LaTeX three times (no worries these days,
    not when LaTeX runs are over in 2s), and there it is. Imagine trying to
    do the same job with Quark Xpress - hours of bloody mousing no matter
    how you set things up. I don't have to engage brain at all, and the job
    takes roughly 2 minutes.

    > > It doesn't help that I'm hopelessly addicted to MacSoup (The One True
    > > Newsreader).

    > Pfft. The One True Newsreader is, in fact, Messenger Pro. ;-)

    Screenshots at dawn!

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  5. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    In article <9fcbd1754c.jades@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com>,
    Graham Thurlwell wrote:

    > > It doesn't help that I'm hopelessly addicted to MacSoup (The One True
    > > Newsreader).

    > Pfft. The One True Newsreader is, in fact, Messenger Pro. ;-)

    Well, speaking as a MacSoup user AND someone who uses RISC OS as my primary
    system, I'd say that Pluto (on RISC OS) beats both of those hands down. :-)
    I do agree with you though, that MPro beats MacSoup. Thoth is quite nice,
    but still not up to the standard of Pluto.

    --
    Paul Vigay __\\|//__ Life.
    (` o-o ') the Universe

    Posted using a RISC OS powered computer - 100% immune to all email viruses.

    Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery.

  6. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    Paul wrote:

    > Graham Thurlwell wrote:
    >
    > > > It doesn't help that I'm hopelessly addicted to MacSoup (The One True
    > > > Newsreader).

    > > Pfft. The One True Newsreader is, in fact, Messenger Pro. ;-)

    > Well, speaking as a MacSoup user AND someone who uses RISC OS as my primary
    > system, I'd say that Pluto (on RISC OS) beats both of those hands down. :-)
    > I do agree with you though, that MPro beats MacSoup. Thoth is quite nice,
    > but still not up to the standard of Pluto.

    I should point out at this moment in time that MacSoup has a unique
    graphical thread display and therefore has no competition at all as far
    as I'm concerned. Quite a lot of the denizens of uk.comp.sys.mac agree
    with me.

    I don't care that MacSoup contains no decoding code for binaries.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  7. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    In article <1g867jb.v6f0k6x5az88N%real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet>,
    Rowland McDonnell wrote:

    back! :-)

    > I should point out at this moment in time that MacSoup has a unique
    > graphical thread display and therefore has no competition at all as far
    > as I'm concerned. Quite a lot of the denizens of uk.comp.sys.mac agree
    > with me.

    At this point I should point out that I suggest that you haven't seen
    Pluto's graphical thread display - which is far superior to MacSoups. I
    guess this is the time to make some screenshots and put them on my website
    somewhere. ;-)

    --
    Paul Vigay __\\|//__ Life.
    (` o-o ') the Universe
    --- http://www.vigay.com -----------ooO-(_)-Ooo------- & Everything --------
    (Email address IS genuine - to avoid junkmail)

    Posted using a RISC OS powered computer - 100% immune to all email viruses.

    Do you have anything worth living for?

  8. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    Paul wrote:

    > Rowland McDonnell wrote:
    > >

    > back! :-)

    > > I should point out at this moment in time that MacSoup has a unique
    > > graphical thread display and therefore has no competition at all as far
    > > as I'm concerned. Quite a lot of the denizens of uk.comp.sys.mac agree
    > > with me.

    > At this point I should point out that I suggest that you haven't seen
    > Pluto's graphical thread display - which is far superior to MacSoups. I
    > guess this is the time to make some screenshots and put them on my website
    > somewhere. ;-)

    This is a genuine reply: go on then, let's have a look. I'd like to see
    a different way of doing it.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  9. Re: OMG, netBook discontinued

    On the 14 Jan 2004, Steve Hodgson wrote:

    [RISC OS]

    > Is there still a 'plit' between OS versions 5 & 4? I can't remember the
    > background to that one.

    AIUI, Castle's RISC OS 5 is derived from Pace's work on producing a
    device-independent version of RISC OS for their later set-top boxes -
    which was itself a development of the version of RISC OS used by Acorn
    on their own set-top box and thin client machines. Pace acquired RISC OS
    when they bought what was left of Acorn.

    RISC OS 4 is a much-developed version of RISC OS 3.8, which was going
    to be the OS in the ill-fated Phoebe 2100 (RISC PC 2) project which was
    cancelled after Acorn pulled out of the workstation market and decided
    to concentrate on set-top boxes and thin client devices. RISC OS Ltd
    (http://www.riscos.com) modified it so that it could be used on the
    existing Acorn A7000 series and RISC PC machines.

    AFAIR, the versions split around RISC OS 3.6.

    The Iyonix uses RISC OS 5. As well as the aforementioned A7000s and
    RISC PCs, RISC OS 4 is also used on the Microdigital Omega and Mico,
    the Riscstation desktop machines and the wide range of Virtual RISC PC
    machines (PCs running an emulator).

    In practice, the split doesn't really seem to make much difference if
    you're using modern stuff like Ovation Pro. Most of the major apps have
    now been recoded to run on natively on both versions of the OS.
    Some older stuff won't work on the Iyonix without Aemulor
    (http://www.aemulor.com IIRC).