SoundTrans - where to get? - Scion

This is a discussion on SoundTrans - where to get? - Scion ; Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?...

  1. SoundTrans - where to get?

    Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

  2. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    "Ric" wrote in message news:...
    > Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    Hi Ric,

    Short answer - No.

    If you can get it it is not possible to register it - warez sites not included.

    I assume you mean John Forrest's program as that is the only one I know. I tried
    to reach Mr Forrest several times over the past two+ years - no go.

    If you really need this utility (and some do), try the Yahoo Psion groups. This is
    probably the only truly legitimate use of such groups/sites, though I know there
    are many who would deny even this.

    Phil.

  3. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    "Ric" wrote in message news:...
    > Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    I have found it here :
    http://www.mypsion.ru/software.php?aid=461

  4. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    news:1efe6aa.0312231530.50114705@posting.google.co m...

    > > Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    > I have found it here :
    > http://www.mypsion.ru/software.php?aid=461

    Thanks - but how to register it? Is that impossible now?

  5. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    In article ,
    PhilAP wrote:
    >"Ric" wrote in message news:...
    >> Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    >Short answer - No.

    Not sure exactly what SoundTrans is [Followed the link in another post
    to the Russian site, but as I don't read Russian...(:-)] but I assume
    it translates other audio formats into EPOC Sound files.

    If you have access to linux (or I understand there is a windows version
    too) you might check out 'SOX' (SOund eXchange) which is able to convert
    between almost any formats you could name, and for the last year or
    so has included EPOC in its capabilities. (The last version I donwloaded
    -- 12.17.4 -- was slightly buggy wrt Psion, but I patched it and submitted
    the fixes, so it should be solid by now.)

    Darn it, I can't lay my hands on a URL, but look on SourceForge.

    Hope that's useful.
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  6. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    "Pete" wrote in message

    > Not sure exactly what SoundTrans is [Followed the link in another post
    > to the Russian site, but as I don't read Russian...(:-)] but I assume
    > it translates other audio formats into EPOC Sound files.

    You are correct it is a sound concverter for the Psion. In particular I wish
    to play real-audio files on my netbook. If Sox can do this it would be
    perfect. Unfortunately although I found lots of versions os Sox for other
    platforms - I could not find an EPOC version.

  7. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    Hi Ric,

    The reference on the Russian site and in the 'readme' is to RMR who once
    sold/registered the application. Perhaps they still do but I doubt it. RMR
    are a reputable outfit and Mr Forrest is, as I said, not contactable.

    But write to RMR anyway as they might know how to register it.

    I don't use either Sound Master or Soundtrans but I can tell you that one of
    the Psion groups I mentioned has posted a copy of Sound Master (originally
    distributed by Palmtop, now Tomtom) which also cannot be bought. I
    imagine it has the same functions as Soundtrans. The first group is (Yahoo)
    Psionware. I don't know which group has Sound Master but you can reach
    them all from there.

    Happy Hogmanay,
    Phil.

  8. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    Hi Pete,

    The URL is : http://sox.sourceforge.net/

    Unfortunately it seems the latest version is STILL V12.17.4
    ... so because if what you say I am a bit reluctant to use it.

    I have downloaded it (Win32 Binary (Win95/98/NT): sox12174.zip) but
    not used it !

    It seems that update was 23 March 2003.

    Steve

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:14:31 +0000 (UTC),
    neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >PhilAP wrote:
    >>"Ric" wrote in message news:...
    >>> Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    >>Short answer - No.
    >>

    >Not sure exactly what SoundTrans is [Followed the link in another post
    >to the Russian site, but as I don't read Russian...(:-)] but I assume
    >it translates other audio formats into EPOC Sound files.
    >
    >If you have access to linux (or I understand there is a windows version
    >too) you might check out 'SOX' (SOund eXchange) which is able to convert
    >between almost any formats you could name, and for the last year or
    >so has included EPOC in its capabilities. (The last version I donwloaded
    >-- 12.17.4 -- was slightly buggy wrt Psion, but I patched it and submitted
    >the fixes, so it should be solid by now.)
    >
    >Darn it, I can't lay my hands on a URL, but look on SourceForge.
    >
    >Hope that's useful.
    > -- Pete --

  9. Re: SoundTrans - where to get?

    Hi there,

    I too have followed the trail to find SoundTrans.

    I managed to download V1.07 from the Russian site
    http://www.mypsion.ru/software.php?aid=461
    which then lead me to the RMR site
    http://www.rmrsoft.com/epoc/index.htm
    but unfortunately SoundTrans is no longer there.

    I wrote to RMR (sales) on the 17 January .. but they have not replied,
    which suggests they no longer support/sell it, or are just not
    interested :-(

    SoundTrans seems to do exactly what I want, but not being able to
    register it makes it useless !!

    Steve D

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:37:32 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

    >"Gilbert SAVORET" wrote in message
    >news:1efe6aa.0312231530.50114705@posting.google.co m...
    >> "Ric" wrote in message

    >> > Is SoundTrans still available? If so where from?

    >> I have found it here :
    >> http://www.mypsion.ru/software.php?aid=461

    >Thanks - but how to register it? Is that impossible now?

+ Reply to Thread