Re: Internet connections - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Internet connections - Scion ; HN wrote in message news: ... > On 10 Nov 2003 23:09:40 +0100, Hans Lub wrote: > >Using a network packet generator and a bit of patience, I have found that: > > > >- when using a modem, most ...

  1. Re: Internet connections

    HN wrote in message news:<1chqsvsrmhjek0275p5vfi033gn59409d6@4ax.com>...
    > On 10 Nov 2003 23:09:40 +0100, Hans Lub wrote:
    > >Using a network packet generator and a bit of patience, I have found that:
    > >
    > >- when using a modem, most connection attempts to a closed port will
    > > freeze a recently reset psion ("older" ones are immune, it seems).
    > > No special nasty SYN packets are needed for the freezing to happen.
    > >
    > >- when the psion is listening to the port, the freezing doesn't occur
    > >
    > >- when I use a direct ppp link, no freezes ever happen, so it is not a
    > > problem in just the TCP/IP stack we are seeing here.

    I would not rule out that the stack is a problem. Not sure which
    stack you are using, but when I first tried to use the PsiInternet
    package for the SIBO platform, the TCP/IP stack would not connect to
    my ISP. The problem was not with the script, but how the stack
    negotiated the PPP connection. I decided to write my own TCP/IP stack
    and this became part of my eMail-It package. My stack will not accept
    a SYN on a TCP/IP connection unless it has been given instructions to
    to so. In essence, my TCP/IP stack provides firewall protection
    against virus attacks. However, the way the Internet works, a
    connection may be slowed down tremendously by a flood of incoming SYN
    connection requests that require NAKs to be sent in reply.

  2. Re: Internet connections

    mc_richardson@hotmail.com (Mark) writes:

    > > > when I use a direct ppp link, no freezes ever happen, so it is
    > > > not a problem in just the TCP/IP stack we are seeing here.

    > I would not rule out that the stack is a problem.

    I was only speculating - I found it odd that the problem was not
    reproducible using a direct ppp link, so the problem would have to be
    even below the data link layer (still part of the stack of course,
    strictly speaking)

    Anyway, there seems to be a fix by Psion Teklogix themselves:

    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...237#post129237

    This would be very good news, as Sink and its brethren do not cure the
    problem, only make it a bit less noticeable.

    Did anyone already try the fix?

    Hans.

  3. Re: Internet connections

    On 18 Dec 2003 21:28:36 +0100, Hans Lub wrote:

    >> I would not rule out that the stack is a problem.

    > I was only speculating - I found it odd that the problem was not
    > reproducible using a direct ppp link, so the problem would have to be
    > even below the data link layer (still part of the stack of course,
    > strictly speaking)
    >
    > Anyway, there seems to be a fix by Psion Teklogix themselves:
    >
    > http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...237#post129237
    >
    > This would be very good news, as Sink and its brethren do not cure the
    > problem, only make it a bit less noticeable.
    >
    > Did anyone already try the fix?

    OK. I have now tried the TCPIP_UPDATE(Non-Ethernet).SIS on my Psion 5mx
    with a US Robotics 56K modem and it works a treat! I used the Email with
    POP3 and IMAP4 and also browsed with Opera 5.14 for about 15 minutes
    without any problem whatsoever! I used Virgin.net, an ISP with whom the
    Psion would usually freeze within 3 minutes or less before the new TCP/IP
    patch was installed. I haven't tried a mobile phone yet.

    If the appropriate patches work in all other machines this should be
    brilliant news for all Psion users )

    A big thank you to Alex from Psion for fixing this. I would be curious
    though to find out what's changed in the fix (i.e. how is the problem of
    the malformed datagrams resolved?).

    Regards,

    Mick

  4. Re: Internet connections

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:19:46 -0000, MickKi
    wrote:

    >>> I would not rule out that the stack is a problem.

    >> I was only speculating - I found it odd that the problem was not
    >> reproducible using a direct ppp link, so the problem would have to be
    >> even below the data link layer (still part of the stack of course,
    >> strictly speaking)
    >>
    >> Anyway, there seems to be a fix by Psion Teklogix themselves:
    >>
    >> http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...237#post129237
    >>
    >> This would be very good news, as Sink and its brethren do not cure the
    >> problem, only make it a bit less noticeable.
    >>
    >> Did anyone already try the fix?

    > OK. I have now tried the TCPIP_UPDATE(Non-Ethernet).SIS on my Psion 5mx
    > with a US Robotics 56K modem and it works a treat! I used the Email with
    > POP3 and IMAP4 and also browsed with Opera 5.14 for about 15 minutes
    > without any problem whatsoever! I used Virgin.net, an ISP with whom the
    > Psion would usually freeze within 3 minutes or less before the new
    > TCP/IP patch was installed. I haven't tried a mobile phone yet.

    I forgot: this is where I downloaded from: http://tinyurl.com/2ud4f

    Regards,

    Mick

  5. Re: Internet connections

    Hi,

    I know the Psion patch works for most but it didn't for me.

    I just installed it from the SIS file, stopped Sink2 loading and
    reset my 5mx. When it had rebooted I tried Email first. The
    connection failed immediately (no connection at all).
    Ditto wth Web and Opera.

    So I removed it, reloaded Sink2 and everything worked again.

    Somehow the patch actually stopped my I'Net connection
    before it even addressed the modem. I know some programs
    seem to dislike the extra RAM (8MB courtesy D&G) and that
    the extra RAM is considerably more than the extra that Sink
    uses.

    So although I don't mind using Sink2 (for which I still thank
    Hans), I think PT should be told. I might be the only person
    affected but I doubt it.

    Phil.

  6. Re: Internet connections

    On 20 Dec 2003 11:32:32 -0800, aypee@tiscali.co.uk (PhilAP) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I know the Psion patch works for most but it didn't for me.
    >
    >I just installed it from the SIS file, stopped Sink2 loading and
    >reset my 5mx. When it had rebooted I tried Email first. The
    >connection failed immediately (no connection at all).
    >Ditto wth Web and Opera.
    >
    >So I removed it, reloaded Sink2 and everything worked again.
    >
    >Somehow the patch actually stopped my I'Net connection
    >before it even addressed the modem. I know some programs
    >seem to dislike the extra RAM (8MB courtesy D&G) and that
    >the extra RAM is considerably more than the extra that Sink
    >uses.
    >
    >So although I don't mind using Sink2 (for which I still thank
    >Hans), I think PT should be told. I might be the only person
    >affected but I doubt it.
    >
    >Phil.

    Having just installed and tested the patch like yourself, I can
    confirm that it doesn't work for me either!

    My standard 5mx locked up within seconds of connecting to a news
    server.

    I have now removed the patch, soft reset again, and put Sink back into
    place. Working fine now!

    Neil

+ Reply to Thread