Re: Screen Visibility - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Screen Visibility - Scion ; >Then I bought a 3c, and I find its screen is far easier to see and read, so >much so that it is a practical propostion for everyday use, which my 5 is >not. My question is, is the 3c ...

  1. Re: Screen Visibility

    >Then I bought a 3c, and I find its screen is far easier to see and read, so
    >much so that it is a practical propostion for everyday use, which my 5 is
    >not. My question is, is the 3c screen inherently clearer than the 5's, and
    >if I buy a 5MX, will its screen be closer to the 3c or to the 5? And is my 5
    >particularly poor?

    --------------------------------
    The series 3a screen is even better than the 3c, very contrasty and easy to
    read even in poor light. The 3c screen suffered from the addition of a
    backlight, which decreased reflectivity and overall contrast.

    The series 5 screen is absolutely the pits, yours is no exception and,
    unfortunately, the 5mx followed suit. A brightness increase of 20% (negligible)
    was claimed for the 5mx backlight over the 5. I've had many 5s and 5mxs and
    they all stunk.

    The Revo/Mako screen is another story! Very bright and contrasty, easy to read
    even in dim light. I strongly recommend one if you don't do much typing (the
    keyboard is not the best). On the other hand, the Revo/Mako suffers from
    battery problems, it is not unusual to lose all your data because the software
    misreads the remaining battery charge to be high when it's actually down to
    zero. No backup battery is present in the Revo/Mako and the main battery, being
    internal, is difficult, if not impossible, for many people to replace.

    The best thing about Psions is the EPOC operating system, still unsurpassed by
    any of the Windows CE variations, in my opinion. Unfortunately, every Psion
    model suffers from some mechanical glitch or another and they all have poor
    reliability.

    Amazingly, the latest Psion, the Netbook Pro, has gone over to Windows CE,
    shame on them!

    My two cents.

    Bob G

  2. Re: Screen Visibility

    i artikel 20031214193820.04241.00000943@mb-m29.aol.com, skrev Bob G på
    bobjames27@aol.com den 03-12-15 01.38:

    > The Revo/Mako screen is another story! Very bright and contrasty, easy to read
    > even in dim light. I strongly recommend one if you don't do much typing (the
    > keyboard is not the best).

    Typing is easier if you slow down a little, and use the key clicks sound in
    the control panel.

    > On the other hand, the Revo/Mako suffers from
    > battery problems, it is not unusual to lose all your data because the software
    > misreads the remaining battery charge to be high when it's actually down to
    > zero.

    Can you back this up? From what I've seen and read, "Revo turns off too
    early" is a widespread problem, but as the name implies, the fact that it
    turns off too early means that it will save your data for a long time, ie a
    few weeks. The data loss is said to have occurred among the very first Revos
    where the batteries were loosely fitted, and could momentarily break the
    circuit, erasing the memory.
    http://millican.info/revobats.htm

    > No backup battery is present in the Revo/Mako and the main battery,
    > being
    > internal, is difficult, if not impossible, for many people to replace.

    You're not really supposed to replace them, and I don't think the batteries
    themselves are the problem. It's the power meter which causes problems.
    Anyway you can have it repaired.

    --
    Erik Sandblom
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  3. Re: Screen Visibility

    Bob G wrote:

    > The series 3a screen is even better than the 3c, very contrasty and easy
    > to read even in poor light. The 3c screen suffered from the addition of a
    > backlight, which decreased reflectivity and overall contrast.
    >
    > The series 5 screen is absolutely the pits, yours is no exception and,
    > unfortunately, the 5mx followed suit. A brightness increase of 20%
    > (negligible) was claimed for the 5mx backlight over the 5. I've had many
    > 5s and 5mxs and they all stunk.
    >
    > The Revo/Mako screen is another story! Very bright and contrasty, easy to
    > read even in dim light. I strongly recommend one if you don't do much
    > typing (the keyboard is not the best). On the other hand, the Revo/Mako
    > suffers from battery problems, it is not unusual to lose all your data
    > because the software misreads the remaining battery charge to be high when
    > it's actually down to zero. No backup battery is present in the Revo/Mako
    > and the main battery, being internal, is difficult, if not impossible, for
    > many people to replace.
    >
    > The best thing about Psions is the EPOC operating system, still
    > unsurpassed by any of the Windows CE variations, in my opinion.
    > Unfortunately, every Psion model suffers from some mechanical glitch or
    > another and they all have poor reliability.
    >
    > Amazingly, the latest Psion, the Netbook Pro, has gone over to Windows CE,
    > shame on them!
    >
    > My two cents.

    I have used a 3a for several years. I'm thinking of buying a 3mx. How does
    the screen on a 3mx compare to the others in the 3-series. Anyone know?

    TIA

  4. Re: Screen Visibility

    >I have used a 3a for several years. I'm thinking of buying a 3mx. How does
    >the screen on a 3mx compare to the others in the 3-series. Anyone know?

    The 3mx uses the same screen as the 3c, deteriorated from the brilliance of the
    3a because of the presence of the backlight.

    Still vastly superior to a series 5 screen but not as good as a Revo screen.

    Bob G

  5. Re: Screen Visibility

    Bob G wrote:

    >>I have used a 3a for several years. I'm thinking of buying a 3mx. How
    >>does
    >>the screen on a 3mx compare to the others in the 3-series. Anyone know?

    > The 3mx uses the same screen as the 3c, deteriorated from the brilliance
    > of the 3a because of the presence of the backlight.
    >
    > Still vastly superior to a series 5 screen but not as good as a Revo
    > screen.

    Thanks Bob! Then I'll go for another 3a.

  6. Re: Screen Visibility

    On the 15 Dec 2003, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    [Revo]

    > Typing is easier if you slow down a little, and use the key clicks sound in
    > the control panel.

    Key clicks are the first things I switch off on my Psion machines. Mind
    you, the Psion ones aren't as irritating as those on the Z88.

    --
    Graham Thurlwell.
    Jades' First Encounters Site.

+ Reply to Thread