Newbee question -what next after psion 5? - Scion

This is a discussion on Newbee question -what next after psion 5? - Scion ; I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup? My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran out...! The question is what to replace it by? My priorities (in order) Good Agenda/Diary function for day-today ...

  1. Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?

    My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    My priorities (in order)
    Good Agenda/Diary function for day-today diary
    and record of work notes
    Word/Excel exchange capability
    Voice memo fn
    Decent calculator
    Key-board or thumb board entry (my handwriting is too unreliable for
    writing recognition stuff)
    Mobile phone integration

    has anyone got comments to make on the Nokia 9210i one year on-ish after
    launch? -Especially about the lack of touch screen?

    Thanks
    Chris
    --
    Chris Millar-Craig
    e-mail cmc@onetel.net.uk

  2. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:51:50 +0000, cmc wrote:

    > I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?
    >
    >My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    >out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    - they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    (South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.

    Peter.

  3. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:57:27 +0000, Peter
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:51:50 +0000, cmc wrote:
    >
    >> I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?
    >>
    >>My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    >>out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    >Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    >- they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    >(South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.

    PS - if you want another Psion, take a look at
    http://www.clove.co.uk/index/index.asp

    Peter.

  4. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:51:50 +0000, cmc wrote:
    >
    > > I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?
    > >
    > >My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    > >out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    > Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    > - they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    > (South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.
    >
    > Peter.

    If it is the screen cable at fault other suppliers can supply a more robust
    cable. The fault is shown on the Pinnock site.
    Have a look at the Palm and PocketPC alternatives to see if they suit, check
    out reviews. But a lot depends on what the machine is used for- something
    not mentioned here. It is the most important thing really, isn't it? It may
    be that your uses mean all of the pda's are suitable. Or all are a
    compromise.

  5. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    On Sunday, in article

    peter@allblue.f9.co.uk "Peter" wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:51:50 +0000, cmc wrote:
    >
    > > I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?
    > >
    > >My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    > >out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    > Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    > - they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    > (South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.

    ...though only by appointment. They are good though. (Shame I dropped
    the MX and cracked the screen 5 weeks after having it refurbished!)
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  6. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:22:10 +0000 (GMT), raj@rijhwani.org (Raj
    Rijhwani) wrote:

    > peter@allblue.f9.co.uk "Peter" wrote:

    >> Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    >> - they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    >> (South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.

    >..though only by appointment. They are good though. (Shame I dropped
    >the MX and cracked the screen 5 weeks after having it refurbished!)

    Good heavens! Everywhere I go, I see you, Raj! First the B5 groups,
    then uk.local.surrey, now here!

    You're right, of course, about the need for an appointment at POS. I
    should have mentioned that myself. Thank you for rectifying that
    omission.

    Peter.

  7. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm a loooong way from South London and
    as it's basically the plastic lugs on the body of the psion which fix
    the sliding spring mechanism that are bust, I'm wondering it it's
    fiancially worth fixing.

    Thanks for your help

    Chris

    In article <20031215.1322.3043snz@rijhwani.org>, Raj Rijhwani
    wrote:
    > On Sunday, in article
    >
    > peter@allblue.f9.co.uk "Peter" wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:51:50 +0000, cmc wrote:
    > >
    > > > I hope this is appropriate to this newsgroup?
    > > >
    > > >My Psion 5 has died - only 2 months after the extended warranty ran
    > > >out...! The question is what to replace it by?

    > > Have you thought of getting the 5 repaired? See http://www.posltd.com
    > > - they offer a pretty decent service. And if you're anywhere near them
    > > (South London), they can do some jobs while you wait.

    > ..though only by appointment. They are good though. (Shame I dropped
    > the MX and cracked the screen 5 weeks after having it refurbished!)

    --
    Chris Millar-Craig
    e-mail cmc@onetel.net.uk

  8. Re: Newbee question -what next after psion 5?

    On Tuesday, in article
    cmc@onetel.net.uk "cmc" wrote:

    > Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm a loooong way from South London and
    > as it's basically the plastic lugs on the body of the psion which fix
    > the sliding spring mechanism that are bust, I'm wondering it it's
    > fiancially worth fixing.

    POS work by post, and a standard refurbishment includes a replacement
    case, if it's needed. Whether it's more cost effective to buy something
    else is always the kicker...
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
    http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

+ Reply to Thread