Netbook wifi card recommendations - Scion

This is a discussion on Netbook wifi card recommendations - Scion ; Thinking of getting a wifi card for my Netbook - any recommendations? I read somewhere once that some cards block access to the pen-garage, others don't work etc....

  1. Netbook wifi card recommendations

    Thinking of getting a wifi card for my Netbook - any recommendations? I read
    somewhere once that some cards block access to the pen-garage, others don't
    work etc.

  2. Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations

    In article ,
    Ric wrote:
    > Thinking of getting a wifi card for my Netbook - any recommendations? I
    > read somewhere once that some cards block access to the pen-garage,
    > others don't work etc.

    I have a Buffalo 11Mbps card (I think it's a WLI-PCM-11GP or something)
    which works perfectly, and doesn't block the pen-garage at all. Don't get
    the Buffalo 54Mbps one because I believe that doesn't work at all in a
    netBook.

  3. Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:08:42 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

    >Thinking of getting a wifi card for my Netbook - any recommendations? I read
    >somewhere once that some cards block access to the pen-garage, others don't
    >work etc.

    Check this
    http://www.isbg00598.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

    You'll find lots of info and a compatibility list

  4. 7book power limit (Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations)

    "Andy Marks" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Ric wrote:
    > > Thinking of getting a wifi card for my Netbook - any recommendations? I
    > > read somewhere once that some cards block access to the pen-garage,
    > > others don't work etc.

    > I have a Buffalo 11Mbps card (I think it's a WLI-PCM-11GP or something)
    > which works perfectly, and doesn't block the pen-garage at all. Don't get
    > the Buffalo 54Mbps one because I believe that doesn't work at all in a
    > netBook.

    I found Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP-3 at www.NickKnows.com for 34.08
    Apparently it's a rebadged Orinoco?...
    http://www.shadesj720.com/80211b_%202.htm

    I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm almost certain that my 7book will be
    overloaded.
    (it occasionally rebooted when I tried having two compactflash cards
    plugged in at the same time)

    Does anyone know the actual component(s) that cause this power limit?

    If nobody knows or can say, I may take my 7book apart and trace the
    power track from the PC card connector to its power source to
    establish what needs to be replaced.

    Probably only cost one or two quid to upgrade it!

    Paul

  5. Re: 7book power limit (Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations)

    http://www.nickknows.com/en-gb/dept_231.html

    Assuming this version isn't so new that it no-longer works in a netbook!

    Paul

  6. Re: 7book power limit (Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations)

    In article <3fdb84e4@news.greennet.net>,
    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > I found Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP-3 at www.NickKnows.com for 34.08
    > Apparently it's a rebadged Orinoco?...
    > http://www.shadesj720.com/80211b_%202.htm

    > I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm almost certain that my 7book will be
    > overloaded. (it occasionally rebooted when I tried having two
    > compactflash cards plugged in at the same time)

    It works in my 7Book - I guess it depends on which version of the
    motherboard you have. For more complete info on wi-fi and 7Book, have a
    look at:

    www.silvester.org.uk and look at the Epoc FAQ

    > Does anyone know the actual component(s) that cause this power limit?

    > If nobody knows or can say, I may take my 7book apart and trace the
    > power track from the PC card connector to its power source to establish
    > what needs to be replaced.

    > Probably only cost one or two quid to upgrade it!

    > Paul

  7. Re: 7book power limit (Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations)

    "Andy Marks" wrote in message
    > In article <3fdb84e4@news.greennet.net>,
    > Paul Taylor wrote:
    > > I found Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP-3 at www.NickKnows.com for 34.08
    > > Apparently it's a rebadged Orinoco?...
    > > http://www.shadesj720.com/80211b_%202.htm

    > > I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm almost certain that my 7book will be
    > > overloaded. (it occasionally rebooted when I tried having two
    > > compactflash cards plugged in at the same time)

    > It works in my 7Book - I guess it depends on which version of the
    > motherboard you have. For more complete info on wi-fi and 7Book, have a
    > look at:
    >
    > www.silvester.org.uk and look at the Epoc FAQ
    >
    > > Does anyone know the actual component(s) that cause this power limit?

    > > If nobody knows or can say, I may take my 7book apart and trace the
    > > power track from the PC card connector to its power source to establish
    > > what needs to be replaced.

    > > Probably only cost one or two quid to upgrade it!

    Yes, thanks, excellent list!
    http://www.isbg00598.pwp.blueyonder.....htm#LANcompat

    I guess I can always take out the CF card while using the network card
    to start with if there isn't enough current (will also avoid corrupting the
    compactflash contents!!!)

    Think mine was a 751 OS build, 806 = 6th week 2000.
    http://www.isbg00598.pwp.blueyonder....m#serialNumber

  8. Re: Netbook wifi card recommendations

    Look at www.sitashop.com for a cheap cisco card

    ---