Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale - Scion ; I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion 5mx, a Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the normal bits) available to go to good homes! ...

  1. Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion 5mx, a
    Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all the
    bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  2. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    The Pocket PC operating system has a long way to go before stability can be
    achieved in my opinion. I think a Palm is far more stable. EPOC version 5 is
    still today one of the most stable operating system platforms.

    regards

    "Rob" wrote in message
    > I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion 5mx,

    > Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    > normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    > convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    > If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all the
    > bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    > To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    > the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  3. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    I've tried both Palm and PocketPC and I found that although PocketPC needed
    to be reset a bit more it is a far better system, and have never lost the
    memory contents unlike Psion where from time to time a soft reset caused
    total loss of data- never got that far with a Palm. Synch with a PC was far
    better with PocketPC than with the other two systems too (if I didn't need
    this then I would have taken Palm more seriously). EPOC 5 is stable in its
    own right, but can and does have problems too. How many posts have there
    been where ppl couldn't connect to a PC at all- it's one that keeps coming
    back keeps coming back keeps coming back ! Then the post- My Psion reset,
    how do I get my data back? The favourite is missing parts/unresponsive
    screen.

    Bottom line is *none* of them is perfect, what is important is which works
    for you.

    "B" wrote in message
    > The Pocket PC operating system has a long way to go before stability can

    be
    > achieved in my opinion. I think a Palm is far more stable. EPOC version 5

    is
    > still today one of the most stable operating system platforms.
    >
    > regards

    > "Rob" wrote in message
    > > I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion

    5mx,
    > > Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    > > normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    > > convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    > > If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all

    the
    > > bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    > > To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    > > the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  4. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    > Bottom line is *none* of them is perfect, what is important is which
    > works
    > for you.

    Words of wisdom indeed. Personally, I've been able to replace my Psion
    with first a Nokia 9210 (just missing Data a little, but otherwise it can
    do so much more), and then a SE P800 (miss a physical keyboard several
    times a day, but, as with the Nokia, it raises the bar miles in other
    ways, e.g. stereo digital music library, GPRS Internet, Camera, etc.
    etc.).

    If I could get a Bluetooth keyboard working with the P800, the switch
    would be complete. 8-)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, for useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  5. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    Thanks for the direct email from Paul in Cambridge - please email me your
    phone number or correct email address so that we can discuss your interest
    in the Psions. Many thanks ...Rob

    "Rob" wrote in message
    > I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion 5mx,

    > Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    > normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    > convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    > If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all the
    > bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    > To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    > the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  6. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    Just a minor point - the quality of the synchronisation software for the
    Psion has little, indeed probably nothing, to do with the quality/stability
    of EPOC5. Personally, I fail to see the point of synchronisation - but I
    guess other people need it. As for losing data, well until today, I have
    lost none with eirther SIBO or EPOC, so I am quite happy with the stability.

    Actually, I am buying a Palm some time soon now, to run exactly one piece of
    software - Intelligolf - otherwise the MC218 will continue to be my main
    machine (and the NetBook for other reasons) until they cannot be acquired
    and/or a suitable replacement is around.

    ciao
    Dweeb

    AlanS wrote:
    > I've tried both Palm and PocketPC and I found that although PocketPC
    > needed to be reset a bit more it is a far better system, and have
    > never lost the memory contents unlike Psion where from time to time a
    > soft reset caused total loss of data- never got that far with a Palm.
    > Synch with a PC was far better with PocketPC than with the other two
    > systems too (if I didn't need this then I would have taken Palm more
    > seriously). EPOC 5 is stable in its own right, but can and does have
    > problems too. How many posts have there been where ppl couldn't
    > connect to a PC at all- it's one that keeps coming back keeps coming
    > back keeps coming back ! Then the post- My Psion reset, how do I get
    > my data back? The favourite is missing parts/unresponsive screen.
    >
    > Bottom line is *none* of them is perfect, what is important is which
    > works for you.
    >

    > "B" wrote in message
    >> The Pocket PC operating system has a long way to go before stability
    >> can be achieved in my opinion. I think a Palm is far more stable.
    >> EPOC version 5 is still today one of the most stable operating
    >> system platforms.
    >>
    >> regards

    >> "Rob" wrote in message
    >>> I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a
    >>> Psion 5mx, a Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases
    >>> books (and all the normal bits) available to go to good homes! The
    >>> Pocket PC is small, convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the
    >>> same league as a Psion. If there is anyone interested out there my
    >>> guide prices (including all the bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a
    >>> 20.
    >>> To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    >>> the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  7. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    Well I have had a 3c/mx since 1996 and have never needed to reset it to this
    date (I use a 3mx as my primary PDA). I also own a 5mx and have only needed
    to reset it a handful of times. I have yet to lose any data from any of my
    Psion palmtops that I didn't delete myself. I can't say the same for my
    palms and Pocket PC. The both crash and need resetting so much, the
    manufactures should include a paper clip to reset them with every purchase.
    Better yet, have a reset button in with all the other quick access buttons.

    Richard

    "AlanS" wrote in message
    > I've tried both Palm and PocketPC and I found that although PocketPC

    needed
    > to be reset a bit more it is a far better system, and have never lost the
    > memory contents unlike Psion where from time to time a soft reset caused
    > total loss of data- never got that far with a Palm. Synch with a PC was

    far
    > better with PocketPC than with the other two systems too (if I didn't need
    > this then I would have taken Palm more seriously). EPOC 5 is stable in its
    > own right, but can and does have problems too. How many posts have there
    > been where ppl couldn't connect to a PC at all- it's one that keeps coming
    > back keeps coming back keeps coming back ! Then the post- My Psion reset,
    > how do I get my data back? The favourite is missing parts/unresponsive
    > screen.
    >
    > Bottom line is *none* of them is perfect, what is important is which works
    > for you.
    >

    > "B" wrote in message
    > > The Pocket PC operating system has a long way to go before stability can

    > be
    > > achieved in my opinion. I think a Palm is far more stable. EPOC version

    5
    > is
    > > still today one of the most stable operating system platforms.
    > >
    > > regards

    > > "Rob" wrote in message
    > > > I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion

    > 5mx,
    > > > Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    > > > normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    > > > convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    > > > If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all

    > the
    > > > bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    > > > To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    > > > the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  8. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    > The Pocket PC operating system has a long way to go before stability can
    be
    > achieved in my opinion. I think a Palm is far more stable. EPOC version 5

    is
    > still today one of the most stable operating system platforms.
    >
    > regards

    B I absolutely agree (see my other post).

    Richard

    "B" wrote in message

    > "Rob" wrote in message
    > > I have taken the plunge and moved to a Pocket PC and now have a Psion

    5mx,
    > > Psion 5 and a Psion3a (all working well) with cases books (and all the
    > > normal bits) available to go to good homes! The Pocket PC is small,
    > > convenient and compatible BUT it is not in the same league as a Psion.
    > > If there is anyone interested out there my guide prices (including all

    the
    > > bits) are 5mx 120, 5 60 and 3a 20.
    > > To communicate please replace the 'ccc' with 'robcoward' and make
    > > the subject 'Psions for Sale'. Rob

  9. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    AlanS wrote:

    > I've tried both Palm and PocketPC and I found that although PocketPC
    > needed to be reset a bit more it is a far better system, and have never
    > lost the memory contents unlike Psion where from time to time a soft reset
    > caused total loss of data- never got that far with a Palm. Synch with a PC
    > was far better with PocketPC than with the other two systems too (if I
    > didn't need this then I would have taken Palm more seriously). EPOC 5 is
    > stable in its own right, but can and does have problems too. How many
    > posts have there been where ppl couldn't connect to a PC at all- it's one
    > that keeps coming back keeps coming back keeps coming back ! Then the
    > post- My Psion reset, how do I get my data back? The favourite is missing
    > parts/unresponsive screen.

    I have used my 3a daily since -94. Never had a system crash, never any
    data lost... Bought a iPac two years ago, run for four whole hours before
    it needed a hard reset due to system crash... flashy colour screen,
    totally useless in daylight... rests in drawer after 64:th system crash...
    3a still running, 30-70 hours before batteries runs out. Yeah, fixed
    some broken hinges and cables but I doubt I can fix anything at all on a
    broken iPac.

  10. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    "anonymous" wrote in message
    > AlanS wrote:
    >
    > > I've tried both Palm and PocketPC and I found that although PocketPC
    > > needed to be reset a bit more it is a far better system, and have never
    > > lost the memory contents unlike Psion where from time to time a soft

    reset
    > > caused total loss of data- never got that far with a Palm. Synch with a

    PC
    > > was far better with PocketPC than with the other two systems too (if I
    > > didn't need this then I would have taken Palm more seriously). EPOC 5 is
    > > stable in its own right, but can and does have problems too. How many
    > > posts have there been where ppl couldn't connect to a PC at all- it's

    one
    > > that keeps coming back keeps coming back keeps coming back ! Then the
    > > post- My Psion reset, how do I get my data back? The favourite is

    missing
    > > parts/unresponsive screen.

    > I have used my 3a daily since -94. Never had a system crash, never any
    > data lost... Bought a iPac two years ago, run for four whole hours

    before
    > it needed a hard reset due to system crash... flashy colour screen,
    > totally useless in daylight... rests in drawer after 64:th system

    crash...
    > 3a still running, 30-70 hours before batteries runs out. Yeah, fixed
    > some broken hinges and cables but I doubt I can fix anything at all on a
    > broken iPac.

    Yep, battery life was good on the 3a and 3mx I had, but I decided to
    progress. Like I had from pen and paper to the series 3- that combination
    used no battery power, so maybe that is better than the 3 series machines if
    that is your main concern?
    As said, everyone has different needs and expectations.

  11. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:13:25 -0000, "AlanS"
    wrote:

    >Yep, battery life was good on the 3a and 3mx I had, but I decided to
    >progress. Like I had from pen and paper to the series 3- that combination
    >used no battery power, so maybe that is better than the 3 series machines if
    >that is your main concern?
    >As said, everyone has different needs and expectations.

    How true.
    I expected my 350 investment in a 3a in 1994 to fulfill my needs of
    a portable computer. It did. Still does.
    I expected my 350 investment in an iPac in 01 to fulfill my needs of
    a portable computer. It failed. Miserably too.
    I never expected my pen and paper to do some serious spreadsheet
    calculations... but I still use 'em... YMMV...

  12. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    anonymous wrote:
    > I never expected my pen and paper to do some serious spreadsheet
    > calculations... but I still use 'em... YMMV...

    Or even less-serious ones. One of my spreadsheets tells me how I can
    make up postage amounts using combinations of current first and second
    class postage...

    Mike.

  13. Re: Psion 5mx, 5, and 3a for sale

    Hello,