Copying System folder - Scion

This is a discussion on Copying System folder - Scion ; Hi, I have a CF reader in my new PC. I decided to copy my CF-Microdrive to my harddisk. 1: I put the disk in the slot and booted the PC 2: Win2K decided that there was something wrong with ...

  1. Copying System folder

    Hi,

    I have a CF reader in my new PC. I decided to copy my CF-Microdrive to my
    harddisk.

    1: I put the disk in the slot and booted the PC
    2: Win2K decided that there was something wrong with every directory,
    something to do with space at the end of the directory name IIRC, and made
    the appropriate changes to the disk.
    3: Things finished booting OK
    4: I tried to copy the disk (drag and drop in explorer), but it died trying
    to copy the system directory. "Cannot copy file. Cannot read from the
    source file or disk"

    When inserted in the netBook, ...

    the SYSTEM is an ordinary directory like all the others.
    I can FTP the entire disk to the PC with no problems

    Just curious as to what the reason for my not being able to copy might be.

    Dr. Dweeb

    ps: The card still works fine in the netBook despite Win2K fiddling with the
    directories.

  2. Re: Copying System folder

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:51:54 +0100, "Dr. Dweeb"
    wrote:

    >I have a CF reader in my new PC. I decided to copy my CF-Microdrive to my
    >harddisk.

    Is the CF reader one that allows the CF card to work as a
    standard IDE drive? That is, is the reader a built in PCCard
    slot (which probably will treat the CF as an IDE drive without
    additional software), or is the reader some sort of external
    reader using a parallel port or USB port, and requiring its own
    set of drivers? If so, the support software is probably doing
    all the converting from IDE to a file stream, and plugging that
    into Explorer. Personally, I'd prefer to stick to a PCCard style
    reader, as there seem fewer complications.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  3. Re: Copying System folder

    It is a USB via a Mobo connector. Either way, since everything else copies,
    it must be something starnge about the system directory.

    Dweeb

    Eric Lindsay's spam trap wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:51:54 +0100, "Dr. Dweeb"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a CF reader in my new PC. I decided to copy my CF-Microdrive
    >> to my harddisk.

    > Is the CF reader one that allows the CF card to work as a
    > standard IDE drive? That is, is the reader a built in PCCard
    > slot (which probably will treat the CF as an IDE drive without
    > additional software), or is the reader some sort of external
    > reader using a parallel port or USB port, and requiring its own
    > set of drivers? If so, the support software is probably doing
    > all the converting from IDE to a file stream, and plugging that
    > into Explorer. Personally, I'd prefer to stick to a PCCard style
    > reader, as there seem fewer complications.

  4. Re: Copying System folder

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:
    > Eric Lindsay's spam trap wrote:
    > > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:51:54 +0100, "Dr. Dweeb"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a CF reader in my new PC. I decided to copy my CF-Microdrive
    > >> to my harddisk.

    > > Is the CF reader one that allows the CF card to work as a
    > > standard IDE drive? That is, is the reader a built in PCCard
    > > slot (which probably will treat the CF as an IDE drive without
    > > additional software), or is the reader some sort of external
    > > reader using a parallel port or USB port, and requiring its own
    > > set of drivers? If so, the support software is probably doing
    > > all the converting from IDE to a file stream, and plugging that
    > > into Explorer. Personally, I'd prefer to stick to a PCCard style
    > > reader, as there seem fewer complications.

    > It is a USB via a Mobo connector. Either way, since everything else copies,
    > it must be something starnge about the system directory.

    It sounds to me as if Eric's suggestion is spot on: that the problem
    lies with the driver software to run the CF card reader, since this card
    reader is not a built-in PCCard slot but a USB device which requires
    third party driver software (and that's famous for causing trouble).

    I've had trouble with a USB CF card reader on my Mac: the driver
    software corrupted the data on the CF card I tried *reading* from.

    (MacOS X 10.2.something; I forget the device I tried: it's long since
    been returned as useless)

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

+ Reply to Thread