expansys: excessive credit card paranoia? - Scion

This is a discussion on expansys: excessive credit card paranoia? - Scion ; David H Wild wrote: > I'm with him as well. Although there is nothing on my credit card statement > of which I am ashamed, nobody else is **entitled** to see it. I'm not sure > what use they can ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    David H Wild wrote:
    > I'm with him as well. Although there is nothing on my credit card statement
    > of which I am ashamed, nobody else is **entitled** to see it. I'm not sure
    > what use they can make of it, either.

    Look them up on the Data Protection Register:

    Buying and selling information about
    the family and lifestyle of
    customers and complainants.

    I'm quoting out of context, but that's something they've registered for.

    Steve

    --
    All multipart email to my From: address is dropped.
    Remove the number from it to avoid this filter.

  2. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    Steve Cotton wrote:

    > David H Wild wrote:
    > > I'm with him as well. Although there is nothing on my credit card statement
    > > of which I am ashamed, nobody else is **entitled** to see it. I'm not sure
    > > what use they can make of it, either.

    > Look them up on the Data Protection Register:
    >
    > Buying and selling information about
    > the family and lifestyle of
    > customers and complainants.
    >
    > I'm quoting out of context, but that's something they've registered for.

    Any tips on finding this kind of information on the site? It seems to be
    couched in bureaucratese, and there doesn't seem to be a link saying
    'Look up a company in the Register'.

    Thanks,
    James

  3. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    James Lothian wrote:
    > Steve Cotton wrote:
    >>
    >> Look them up on the Data Protection Register:
    >>

    > Any tips on finding this kind of information on the site? It seems to be
    > couched in bureaucratese, and there doesn't seem to be a link saying
    > 'Look up a company in the Register'.

    Quick answer:
    http://forms.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/search.html

    Long answer:
    From the homepage there's a link on the right hand side to "Public
    Register Of Data Controllers", from there there's a link to searching
    the register.

    I assumed that the site was only difficult to navigate because I was
    using a text browser. But looking again it is a case of knowing what
    the bureaucratese translation is.

    Steve

    --
    All multipart email to my From: address is dropped.
    Remove the number from it to avoid this filter.

  4. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    Steve Cotton wrote:

    > James Lothian wrote:
    > > Steve Cotton wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Look them up on the Data Protection Register:
    > >>

    > > Any tips on finding this kind of information on the site? It seems to be
    > > couched in bureaucratese, and there doesn't seem to be a link saying
    > > 'Look up a company in the Register'.

    > Quick answer:
    > http://forms.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/search.html
    >
    > Long answer:
    > From the homepage there's a link on the right hand side to "Public
    > Register Of Data Controllers", from there there's a link to searching
    > the register.
    >
    > I assumed that the site was only difficult to navigate because I was
    > using a text browser. But looking again it is a case of knowing what
    > the bureaucratese translation is.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > All multipart email to my From: address is dropped.
    > Remove the number from it to avoid this filter.

    Ah, thank you! Very useful, not to say revealing.

    James

  5. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    AlanS wrote:

    > If they have been subject to credit card fraud then it is understandable.
    > Remember they aren't a really big business, and each theft will put up there
    > costs and ultimately the price to us customers. No Psion owner would want to
    > see the demise of any business that still supports a (nearly dead) format.

    Yes, but any firm which insists I do anything like that is going to lose
    my custom instantly - they're basically assuming that their customers
    are fraudsters who have to prove their innocence before they'll do
    business with them. I won't have that and I would rather see them go
    bust than carry on in that despicable way. I have two 5mxs and a 3.

    btw, I have a `proper' computer and 'net connection. I don't have a
    scanner or fax software. Why should I be required to buy these things -
    not that a scanner which meets my needs is available for my Mac - and
    submit myself to the Spanish Inquisition just to buy a CF card?

    Rowland.

    [snip]

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  6. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    "Rowland McDonnell" wrote in message
    > AlanS wrote:
    >
    > > If they have been subject to credit card fraud then it is

    understandable.
    > > Remember they aren't a really big business, and each theft will put up

    there
    > > costs and ultimately the price to us customers. No Psion owner would

    want to
    > > see the demise of any business that still supports a (nearly dead)

    format.

    > Yes, but any firm which insists I do anything like that is going to lose
    > my custom instantly - they're basically assuming that their customers
    > are fraudsters who have to prove their innocence before they'll do
    > business with them. I won't have that and I would rather see them go
    > bust than carry on in that despicable way. I have two 5mxs and a 3.
    >
    > btw, I have a `proper' computer and 'net connection. I don't have a
    > scanner or fax software. Why should I be required to buy these things -
    > not that a scanner which meets my needs is available for my Mac - and
    > submit myself to the Spanish Inquisition just to buy a CF card?
    >
    > Rowland.
    >
    > [snip]

    5 days to think of that... not worth the effort- nobody says you *have* to,
    do they?

  7. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:03:10 +0000 (UTC),
    real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:

    >Yes, but any firm which insists I do anything like that is going to lose
    >my custom instantly - they're basically assuming that their customers
    >are fraudsters who have to prove their innocence before they'll do
    >business with them. I won't have that and I would rather see them go
    >bust than carry on in that despicable way. I have two 5mxs and a 3.

    Sometimes the company can't persuade the credit card organisation
    or their bank to _allow_ them to accept credit cards except by
    getting the equivalent of a signed contract with the customer.

    I suspect this is something that bites small businesses a lot
    more than very large businesses. My partner sells ebooks over
    the internet, and wanted to provide credit card access. At the
    time she started, no Australian bank would even contemplate
    allowing her (as a small business) to accept cerdit cards over
    the net. She had to take them physically (which was utterly
    useless), or get an order in writing (which was not much better).

    She found a very remote company (Norway?) that for a substantial
    percentage (over 10%) would handle credit cards for small
    businesses. Then this year Visa and Mastercard changed their
    rules, and although many European credit cards stuill worked, the
    company in Denmark couldn't accept USA or Australian issued
    credit cards (which were most of her customer base).

    My point is that sometimes a smaller (10 million a year) company
    or even a mid sized company (100 million a year) just can't get
    the service they want from any convenient credit card provider.
    Or if they can, the charges make it uneconomic to use they credit
    handler that will work with them. I doubt Expansys could accept
    a 10% cost on credit cards, for example, as they wouldn't be
    competitive.

    This seems something much more likely to bite the smaller
    companies that still handle Psion than a larger company that
    dumps everything that isn't a major part of its turnover.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  8. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    AlanS wrote:

    [snip]

    > 5 days to think of that

    Erm, no. More like 5 minutes. Usenet is not a real time medium.

    >... not worth the effort- nobody says you *have* to,
    > do they?

    Nobody said you had to make a pointless reply either. Your
    point being?

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  9. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    Eric Lindsay's spam trap wrote:

    > real-address-in-sig@flur.bltigibbet (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:
    >
    > >Yes, but any firm which insists I do anything like that is going to lose
    > >my custom instantly - they're basically assuming that their customers
    > >are fraudsters who have to prove their innocence before they'll do
    > >business with them. I won't have that and I would rather see them go
    > >bust than carry on in that despicable way. I have two 5mxs and a 3.

    > Sometimes the company can't persuade the credit card organisation
    > or their bank to _allow_ them to accept credit cards except by
    > getting the equivalent of a signed contract with the customer.

    If a firm explained that, then they might get a different sort of
    response from prospective customers.

    > I suspect this is something that bites small businesses a lot
    > more than very large businesses. My partner sells ebooks over
    > the internet, and wanted to provide credit card access. At the
    > time she started, no Australian bank would even contemplate
    > allowing her (as a small business) to accept cerdit cards over
    > the net. She had to take them physically (which was utterly
    > useless), or get an order in writing (which was not much better).

    How odd.

    > She found a very remote company (Norway?) that for a substantial
    > percentage (over 10%) would handle credit cards for small
    > businesses. Then this year Visa and Mastercard changed their
    > rules, and although many European credit cards stuill worked, the
    > company in Denmark couldn't accept USA or Australian issued
    > credit cards (which were most of her customer base).

    Blimey.

    > My point is that sometimes a smaller (10 million a year) company
    > or even a mid sized company (100 million a year) just can't get
    > the service they want from any convenient credit card provider.

    So you claim. However, I regularly buy using a credit card over the
    telephone from small firms. I know that they're small firms because
    they're motorcycle breakers.

    Clearly, it's not hard for small firms in the UK to get something like
    the service required.

    > Or if they can, the charges make it uneconomic to use they credit
    > handler that will work with them.

    10% does sound a bit steep, but a breakers' would just pass that extra
    charge on so the customers pay - bleating in pain, it must be said, but
    they do that anyway.

    (You'd bleat in pain if you regularly bought motorcycle spares, I
    promise you. I was once told by a car parts shop that bike shops tend
    to use 100% markup on parts as a sort of standard fitting - but that he
    couldn't undercut 'em with the 30% markup he used because the bike
    wholesalers wouldn't sell to him at all any more. He'd tried it once,
    and then found out that the local bike shops had threatened to take all
    their custom away from the wholesalers if they sold to him again and
    that was that.)

    > I doubt Expansys could accept
    > a 10% cost on credit cards, for example, as they wouldn't be
    > competitive.

    Fair enough. However, Expansys has sold things to me paid for by a
    credit card (just checked) and ordered over the Web without asking me
    for a fax of anything - so your idea clearly does not apply in this
    case.

    > This seems something much more likely to bite the smaller
    > companies that still handle Psion than a larger company that
    > dumps everything that isn't a major part of its turnover.

    It's a bugger, by the sound of it.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  10. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    > AlanS wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > 5 days to think of that

    > Erm, no. More like 5 minutes. Usenet is not a real time medium.
    >
    > >... not worth the effort- nobody says you *have* to,
    > > do they?

    > Nobody said you had to make a pointless reply either. Your
    > point being?
    >
    > Rowland.
    >
    > --

    sorry you can't follow things.

    nobody says you *have* to (buy from expansys).

  11. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    AlanS wrote:

    [snip]

    > nobody says you *have* to (buy from expansys).

    Your point being?

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    http://www.mag-uk.org
    UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

  12. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    > AlanS wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > nobody says you *have* to (buy from expansys).

    > Your point being?
    >
    > Rowland.

    That took a week?

    Sorry you don't understand English.
    It means 'you' don't have to buy from expansys.

  13. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    Alan... I finally agree with you. However, you have to give Rowland a
    break... you see he has a PHD in nerd.

    Richard

    "AlanS" wrote in message

    > "Rowland McDonnell" wrote in message
    > > AlanS wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > nobody says you *have* to (buy from expansys).

    > > Your point being?
    > >
    > > Rowland.
    > >

    > That took a week?
    >
    > Sorry you don't understand English.
    > It means 'you' don't have to buy from expansys.

  14. Re: expansys: excessive credit card paranoia?

    AlanS wrote:

    > "Rowland McDonnell" wrote:

    > > AlanS wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > nobody says you *have* to (buy from expansys).

    > > Your point being?
    > >
    > > Rowland.
    > >

    > That took a week?

    No, about 30 seconds.

    > Sorry you don't understand English.

    It seems that you still haven't got the idea that Usenet is not a
    real-time medium.

    > It means 'you' don't have to buy from expansys.

    That much I understood before I made any posts to this newsgroup. What
    I don't understand is why you feel the need to say it.

    What is your point in mentioning this blindingly obvious fact?

    You do seem to have great difficulty understanding a simple question
    posed in very simple English.

    Rowland.