Filemaker to Os X Address Book - Scion

This is a discussion on Filemaker to Os X Address Book - Scion ; Can anyone please advise on how to transfer 'Filemaker' files to the 'Address Book' in OsX ? (ie 'Filemaker' exports Tab, Comma, SYLK, DBF DIF, WKS, BASIC, MERGE, HMTL table and Filemaker Pro but 'Address Book' imports only vCard & ...

  1. Filemaker to Os X Address Book

    Can anyone please advise on how to transfer 'Filemaker' files to the
    'Address Book' in OsX ?

    (ie 'Filemaker' exports Tab, Comma, SYLK, DBF DIF, WKS, BASIC, MERGE, HMTL
    table and Filemaker Pro but 'Address Book' imports only vCard & LDIF
    formats).

    Many thanks, Paul

  2. Re: Filemaker to Os X Address Book

    Paul Tilling wrote:

    > Can anyone please advise on how to transfer 'Filemaker' files to the
    > 'Address Book' in OsX ?

    Probably, but you asked in a Psion newsgroup, not a Mac one.

    Rowland.
    (with MacOS X but not Filemaker)

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  3. Re: Filemaker to Os X Address Book

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:08:37 +0700, Paul Tilling
    wrote:

    >Can anyone please advise on how to transfer 'Filemaker' files to the
    >'Address Book' in OsX ?
    >
    >(ie 'Filemaker' exports Tab, Comma, SYLK, DBF DIF, WKS, BASIC, MERGE, HMTL
    >table and Filemaker Pro but 'Address Book' imports only vCard & LDIF
    >formats).

    Using a Psion?

    Export as Comma separated text file using Filemaker. Transfer
    the file to your Psion via say a Compact Flash. Open Data, then
    use File, More, Import Text File, set up the Options to
    correspond with the data delimited tags used (double " and commas
    probably). This will create a Psion Data file.

    Next, use any available Data to Contacts utility, to convert the
    information into Contacts format. For example, Data Contacts.

    DataContact converts Data files into Contact files, by importing
    the address info into Contacts. Written by Pascal Nicholas.
    http://pnicolas.epocboulevard.com/

    Now in Contacts use File, More, Export to export all the data as
    vCard format.

    However if FileMaker is a Macintosh program, maybe it would be
    easier to find a comma separated to vCard converter that would
    run on a Macintosh. If there isn't a native one, check for one
    written in say Perl (I'm sure there will be some), since you can
    run that on a Mac.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

+ Reply to Thread