Mobile phones for 5mx - Scion

This is a discussion on Mobile phones for 5mx - Scion ; Hi, I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my 5mx but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback about suitable ones gratefully received Richard Watson...

  1. Mobile phones for 5mx

    Hi,

    I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my 5mx
    but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback about
    suitable ones gratefully received

    Richard Watson

  2. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Richard Watson" wrote in message
    news:3fcdd24b$0$8565$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.n et...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my 5mx
    > but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback about
    > suitable ones gratefully received

    I don't much like nokias because the IR link keeps turning itself off. I'll

  3. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Richard Watson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fcdd24b$0$8565$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.n et...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my 5mx
    > but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback about
    > suitable ones gratefully received

    Got an ericsson t610. WWW/email connectivity great, Phoneman connectivity
    barely acceptable (can do sms, but phonebook management is virtually impossible.)

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

  4. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Ric" wrote in message

    > "Richard Watson" wrote in message
    > news:3fcdd24b$0$8565$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.n et...
    >
    > I don't much like nokias because the IR link keeps turning itself off.

    I'll

    on.

    Are you sure? A guy in our office had one of those. A guy in the opposite
    desk was trying out the fax program in his (then) new 5mx. He was surprised
    when the fax application failed to return the expected error message about
    there not being a modem present. He was even more surprised when he got a
    reply to his test fax.

    I think I prefer the link turning off. In any event a continously on link
    uses battery power as every 5mx owner knows.

    Ian S

  5. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:02:01 -0000, "Richard Watson"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my 5mx
    >but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback about
    >suitable ones gratefully received
    >
    >Richard Watson

    I use a 6310i - seems fine, apart from problems sending faxes from the
    Psion (OK to send faxes from a PC). Good battery life, seems tough
    (been dropped a few times & still functioning fine). GPRS is much
    nicer than CSD for emailing & now quite cheap on Orange (but service
    very spotty).
    --
    Evan

  6. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    Richard Watson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with
    > my 5mx but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any
    > feedback about suitable ones gratefully received
    >
    > Richard Watson

    My 8310 works just fine... Doesn't drop the IR link while in use.

    Andy

  7. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    Hi!
    I used to be on a 7110, now on 6310i. Am looking to change tarrif or
    provider, but will be keepong the 6310i as I can't find anything better at
    the moment to replace it. Works well with my 5mx too (recently upgraded from
    a Revo and do miss some of the Revo/phone syncing though). 6310i also works
    well with laptop.
    Cheers,
    Rich
    "evan" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:02:01 -0000, "Richard Watson"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I've used a Nokia 7110 for about 3 years now very successfully with my

    5mx
    > >but am thinking of changing it for a more modern phone. Any feedback

    about
    > >suitable ones gratefully received
    > >
    > >Richard Watson
    > >

    > I use a 6310i - seems fine, apart from problems sending faxes from the
    > Psion (OK to send faxes from a PC). Good battery life, seems tough
    > (been dropped a few times & still functioning fine). GPRS is much
    > nicer than CSD for emailing & now quite cheap on Orange (but service
    > very spotty).
    > --
    > Evan

  8. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Richard Lock" wrote in message
    news:3fce2037$0$7013$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com. ..
    > Hi!
    > I used to be on a 7110, now on 6310i. Am looking to change tarrif or
    > provider, but will be keepong the 6310i as I can't find anything better at
    > the moment to replace it. Works well with my 5mx too (recently upgraded

    from
    > a Revo and do miss some of the Revo/phone syncing though). 6310i also

    works

    How I wish they'd release that Revo phone app for the 5mx! PhoneMan is no
    subsititute...

  9. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Ric" wrote in message

    > "Richard Lock" wrote in message
    > news:3fce2037$0$7013$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com. ..
    > >(recently upgraded
    > >from
    > > a Revo and do miss some of the Revo/phone syncing though). 6310i also

    > works
    >
    > How I wish they'd release that Revo phone app for the 5mx! PhoneMan is no
    > subsititute...

    Do you think someone on here would know how to copy it from one to the
    other, or some similarly clever symbian thing?

    Rich

  10. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    And lo, "Ian S"
    spake unto us all anouncing

    >"Ric" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard Watson" wrote in message
    >> news:3fcdd24b$0$8565$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.n et...
    >>
    >> I don't much like nokias because the IR link keeps turning itself off.

    >I'll

    >on.
    >>

    >Are you sure? A guy in our office had one of those. A guy in the opposite
    >desk was trying out the fax program in his (then) new 5mx. He was surprised
    >when the fax application failed to return the expected error message about
    >there not being a modem present. He was even more surprised when he got a
    >reply to his test fax.
    >
    >I think I prefer the link turning off. In any event a continously on link
    >uses battery power as every 5mx owner knows.

    I never turn the link off on the psion, but I use the 10
    minute setting on my T68i. I can't recomend the T68i - it's
    radio performance is marginal. I've heard good reviews of
    the T610 though.

    I had good results with an 8210.

    PRAR
    --
    http://www.i.am/prar/
    So glad to find a Newserver with some propogation...

  11. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    > Do you think someone on here would know how to copy it from one to the
    > other, or some similarly clever symbian thing?

    For years people have been trying to get Symbian to release a version for
    the 5mx but they won't. They just point you to PhoneMan. I think the author
    of PhoneMan has some sort of agreement with them that they won't knock the
    market from under his feet.

  12. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Ric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bqmo4u$92j$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr...

    > > Do you think someone on here would know how to copy it from one to the
    > > other, or some similarly clever symbian thing?
    > >

    > For years people have been trying to get Symbian to release a version for
    > the 5mx but they won't. They just point you to PhoneMan. I think the author
    > of PhoneMan has some sort of agreement with them that they won't knock the
    > market from under his feet.

    But PhoneMan is no longer maintained!

    Greetings!
    Volker

  13. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    prar@deadspam.com (PRAR) wrote in message news:<3fce6cd5.11108027@News.CIS.DFN.DE>...
    > And lo, "Ian S"
    > spake unto us all anouncing
    >

    > >"Ric" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Richard Watson" wrote in message
    > >> news:3fcdd24b$0$8565$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.n et...
    > >>
    > >> I don't much like nokias because the IR link keeps turning itself off.

    > I'll

    > on.
    > >>

    > >Are you sure? A guy in our office had one of those. A guy in the opposite
    > >desk was trying out the fax program in his (then) new 5mx. He was surprised
    > >when the fax application failed to return the expected error message about
    > >there not being a modem present. He was even more surprised when he got a
    > >reply to his test fax.
    > >
    > >I think I prefer the link turning off. In any event a continously on link
    > >uses battery power as every 5mx owner knows.
    > >

    > I never turn the link off on the psion, but I use the 10
    > minute setting on my T68i. I can't recomend the T68i - it's
    > radio performance is marginal.

    Maybe it's the phone? I have no problems with T68i (also using the 10
    min setting in phone). Email, fax and SMS sending fine and relatively
    quick. I don't do web searches so cannot comment on that.

  14. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Mr Rip Curl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6b97d7ef.0312050656.1981dfd1@posting.google.c om...
    > Maybe it's the phone? I have no problems with T68i (also using the 10
    > min setting in phone). Email, fax and SMS sending fine and relatively
    > quick. I don't do web searches so cannot comment on that.

    How do you send faxes? Do you use a cable?
    Greetings!
    Volker

  15. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Volker Hetzer" wrote in message news:...
    > "Mr Rip Curl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6b97d7ef.0312050656.1981dfd1@posting.google.c om...
    > > Maybe it's the phone? I have no problems with T68i (also using the 10
    > > min setting in phone). Email, fax and SMS sending fine and relatively
    > > quick. I don't do web searches so cannot comment on that.

    > How do you send faxes? Do you use a cable?

    Infra-red (we are referring to faxes set up in 5mx). I only use cable for back-up.

  16. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    So, is there a list of phones compatible with the 5mx then?

  17. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Mr Rip Curl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6b97d7ef.0312060714.199cb8fd@posting.google.c om...
    > "Volker Hetzer" wrote in message news:...
    > > "Mr Rip Curl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6b97d7ef.0312050656.1981dfd1@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Maybe it's the phone? I have no problems with T68i (also using the 10
    > > > min setting in phone). Email, fax and SMS sending fine and relatively
    > > > quick. I don't do web searches so cannot comment on that.

    > > How do you send faxes? Do you use a cable?
    > >

    > Infra-red (we are referring to faxes set up in 5mx). I only use cable for back-up.

    Worked for me too!!!

    Thanks for making me try it again with my new cellphone.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

  18. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Mr Rip Curl" wrote in message
    news:6b97d7ef.0312050656.1981dfd1@posting.google.c om...
    > Maybe it's the phone? I have no problems with T68i (also using the 10
    > min setting in phone). Email, fax and SMS sending fine and relatively
    > quick. I don't do web searches so cannot comment on that.

    Could you post the settings please?
    I have a netbook that will fax through my r520, but cannot seem to get the
    5mx to do the same with the same settings in Cpanel modems
    Regards,
    Dave

  19. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    Volker Hetzer wrote:
    > "Ric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>

    >>> Do you think someone on here would know how to copy it from one to
    >>> the other, or some similarly clever symbian thing?
    >>>

    >> For years people have been trying to get Symbian to release a
    >> version for the 5mx but they won't. They just point you to PhoneMan.
    >> I think the author of PhoneMan has some sort of agreement with them
    >> that they won't knock the market from under his feet.

    > But PhoneMan is no longer maintained!
    >
    > Greetings!
    > Volker

    Errr - How do you know that ?? This is not quite what it says on the
    website. http://www.zenobyte.com/products/Ser...Pro/index.html

    Dweeb

  20. Re: Mobile phones for 5mx

    "Dr. Dweeb" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:brnf9l$29t6$1@news.cybercity.dk...
    > Volker Hetzer wrote:
    > > "Ric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > >> For years people have been trying to get Symbian to release a
    > >> version for the 5mx but they won't. They just point you to PhoneMan.
    > >> I think the author of PhoneMan has some sort of agreement with them
    > >> that they won't knock the market from under his feet.

    > > But PhoneMan is no longer maintained!
    > >
    > > Greetings!
    > > Volker

    > Errr - How do you know that ?? This is not quite what it says on the
    > website. http://www.zenobyte.com/products/Ser...Pro/index.html

    Oops! I didn't read further than "not supported". So I can still hope for a new version.
    Thanks for correcting me!

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread