Netbook surfing on the train! - Scion

This is a discussion on Netbook surfing on the train! - Scion ; Dear friends, I'm writing this through Google on my Netbook on the train! They have wireless internet which works with my Malaybook and Cisco Aironet card. I can do everything except send mail since my ISPs, Bredbandsbolaget and Artech.se, require ...

  1. Netbook surfing on the train!

    Dear friends,

    I'm writing this through Google on my Netbook on the train! They have
    wireless internet which works with my Malaybook and Cisco Aironet
    card. I can do everything except send mail since my ISPs,
    Bredbandsbolaget and Artech.se, require me to be logged into their
    networks to use their SMTP servers.

    The cost is 80kr, about 8 dollars/euros.
    http://linx.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=3108

    The Psion Netbook requires some hand-holding to make it work:

    1. Start Opera and go to http://www.internetombord.linx
    2. Now open another window and attempt to access an external site such
    as altavista.com.
    3. You are prompted for a password, which you buy on the train. Fill
    it in.
    4. You can now open a third window and access any page.

    Note 1: The page you fetched in step 2 will keep returning you to the
    login page unless you disconnect from the internet (ctrl-u), restart
    Opera, and do all the steps again, this time choosing a different
    external page. The password still works.
    Note 2: If the train is having a bad day, it will log me in and out,
    which the Psion does not like. It freezes up. Have patience and it
    will "thaw", and continue working again. If after "thawing" you can't
    connect, try disconnecting as in step 4 and start over.

    The service is improving and the bugs are being squashed.

    Ask your train crew for internet! The more people ask, the faster this
    will be rolled out elsewhere.

    Erik Sandblom

  2. Re: Netbook surfing on the train!

    Hi Erik,

    On 2 Dec 2003 06:22:13 -0800, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    > Dear friends,
    >
    > I'm writing this through Google on my Netbook on the train! They have
    > wireless internet which works with my Malaybook and Cisco Aironet
    > card. I can do everything except send mail since my ISPs,
    > Bredbandsbolaget and Artech.se, require me to be logged into their
    > networks to use their SMTP servers.
    >
    > The cost is 80kr, about 8 dollars/euros.
    > http://linx.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=3108
    >
    > The Psion Netbook requires some hand-holding to make it work:
    >
    > 1. Start Opera and go to http://www.internetombord.linx
    > 2. Now open another window and attempt to access an external site such
    > as altavista.com.
    > 3. You are prompted for a password, which you buy on the train. Fill
    > it in.
    > 4. You can now open a third window and access any page.
    >
    > Note 1: The page you fetched in step 2 will keep returning you to the
    > login page unless you disconnect from the internet (ctrl-u), restart
    > Opera, and do all the steps again, this time choosing a different
    > external page. The password still works.
    > Note 2: If the train is having a bad day, it will log me in and out,
    > which the Psion does not like. It freezes up. Have patience and it
    > will "thaw", and continue working again. If after "thawing" you can't
    > connect, try disconnecting as in step 4 and start over.
    >
    > The service is improving and the bugs are being squashed.
    >
    > Ask your train crew for internet! The more people ask, the faster this
    > will be rolled out elsewhere.

    Now in Britain as well:

    Can someone please develop a hack for 5mx too!

    Regards,

    Mick