SSD's - Scion

This is a discussion on SSD's - Scion ; I am new to Psions. I first bought a 5, but I find the screen quite difficult to read with my elderly eyes, as it lacks contrast. I have since bought a 3c, in brand new condition, and find it ...

  1. SSD's

    I am new to Psions. I first bought a 5, but I find the screen quite
    difficult to read with my elderly eyes, as it lacks contrast. I have since
    bought a 3c, in brand new condition, and find it wonderful, except for one
    thing. I have a 2MB model, and can see myself needing more memory, to run
    other programs. My 5 of course uses standard compact flash, and after one
    card I couldn't read, I now have a 64MB card which works well. Is it
    possible to buy memory for the 3c, which I gather uses only Psion
    proprietary cards?

    Jim Purdie

  2. Re: SSD's

    > Is it possible to buy memory for the 3c, which I gather uses only Psion
    > proprietary cards?

    Hi Jim,

    the Series 3c uses Solid State Disks. You can still obtain these from a few
    places including eBay www.ebay.co.uk, and POS. I got a couple of 1MB disks
    for my Series 3mx from Pinnock Organiser Services in London (who are
    excellent)http://www.posltd.com Their price list currently quotes the
    following:

    512K Flash SSD card
    25.00
    DISK-SSD-F-512KU

    1mb Flash SSD card
    35.00
    DISK-SSD-F-1M-U

    2mb Flash SSD card
    65.00
    DISK-SSD-F-2M-U

    512K Ram SSD card
    45.00
    DISK-SSA-R-512U

    1mb Ram SSD card
    75.00
    DISK-SSA-R-1M-BU

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh, UK
    www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/

  3. Re: SSD's

    BTW, I have found the flash SSDs, while perhaps slower, to be invaluable in
    terms of robustness and saving data.

    What have been people's experiences with RAM SSDs ? Have they also found them
    to be 200% reliable or must one have to worry about keeping the battery topped
    up to ensure the data is maintained under any/all circumstances ?

  4. Re: SSD's

    Gareth J M Saunders wrote:
    >>Is it possible to buy memory for the 3c, which I gather uses only Psion
    >>proprietary cards?

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > the Series 3c uses Solid State Disks. You can still obtain these from a few
    > places including eBay www.ebay.co.uk, and POS. I got a couple of 1MB disks
    > for my Series 3mx from Pinnock Organiser Services in London (who are
    > excellent)http://www.posltd.com Their price list currently quotes the
    > following:
    >

    > Gareth J M Saunders
    > Edinburgh, UK
    > www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/

    It may be that Jochen Seigenthaler still upgrades flash SSDs if they are
    not fully populated.

    Mike.

  5. Re: SSD's

    "@@connectfee.co.uk" <""mjcoon\"@@connectfee.co.uk"> wrote in message
    > Gareth J M Saunders wrote:
    > >>Is it possible to buy memory for the 3c, which I gather uses only Psion
    > >>proprietary cards?

    > > Hi Jim,
    > >
    > > the Series 3c uses Solid State Disks. You can still obtain these from a

    few
    > > places including eBay www.ebay.co.uk, and POS. I got a couple of 1MB

    disks
    > > for my Series 3mx from Pinnock Organiser Services in London (who are
    > > excellent)http://www.posltd.com Their price list currently quotes the
    > > following:
    > >

    > > Gareth J M Saunders
    > > Edinburgh, UK
    > > www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/
    > >

    > It may be that Jochen Seigenthaler still upgrades flash SSDs if they are
    > not fully populated.
    >
    > Mike.

    Thanks to all who answered. I have found POS, and got their price-list.
    Ouch!

    Jim Purdie

  6. Re: SSD's

    They are cheaper on ebay.

    Richard

    "Jim Purdie" wrote in message

    > "@@connectfee.co.uk" <""mjcoon\"@@connectfee.co.uk"> wrote in message

    Psion

    > > > Hi Jim,
    > > >
    > > > the Series 3c uses Solid State Disks. You can still obtain these from

    > few
    > > > places including eBay www.ebay.co.uk, and POS. I got a couple of 1MB

    > disks
    > > > for my Series 3mx from Pinnock Organiser Services in London (who are
    > > > excellent)http://www.posltd.com Their price list currently quotes the
    > > > following:
    > > >

    > > > Gareth J M Saunders
    > > > Edinburgh, UK
    > > > www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/
    > > >

    > > It may be that Jochen Seigenthaler still upgrades flash SSDs if they are
    > > not fully populated.
    > >
    > > Mike.
    > >

    > Thanks to all who answered. I have found POS, and got their price-list.
    > Ouch!
    >
    > Jim Purdie

  7. Re: SSD's

    "Retired_Soon" wrote in message
    news:JVkzb.32155$Y4R1.28019@news04.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > They are cheaper on ebay.
    >
    > Richard

    I have used TradeMe, the New Zealand equivalent, but when I am trading to
    the other side of the world, I prefer dealing with a firm, and one I know to
    be reputable. Thanks anyway, Richard. I have had a look at ebay, and drooled
    at the stuff available.

    Jim Purdsie

+ Reply to Thread