Improved screen cables - Scion

This is a discussion on Improved screen cables - Scion ; I have a 2001 vintage 5MX and the screen cable appears to have gone (no touch screen anymore). Does anyone know whether the screen cables fitted by POS are any better than those of the 2001 vintage, or is it ...

  1. Improved screen cables

    I have a 2001 vintage 5MX and the screen cable appears to have gone (no
    touch screen anymore). Does anyone know whether the screen cables fitted
    by POS are any better than those of the 2001 vintage, or is it more of
    the same? Does anyone else do repairs using a better cable? I don't
    fancy spending GBP 70-100 every two years repairing screen cables.

    There seems to be no new alternative machine around with a keyboard and
    decent battery life - so I guess I'll have to repair the 5MX.

  2. Re: Improved screen cables

    They will use standard Psion cables, but there is a German company who sell
    a reportedly more robust cable (no personal experience).
    http://www.srsgmbh.de/en/index1.html
    It is sold as a part to fit yourself but you need to be competent at
    soldiering- you need to remove the old cable and solder the new one in
    place- its fairly fine track. I'm not sure of the their cost for fitting.

    "Loz" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1a35e6568e6a63f6989700@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > I have a 2001 vintage 5MX and the screen cable appears to have gone (no
    > touch screen anymore). Does anyone know whether the screen cables fitted
    > by POS are any better than those of the 2001 vintage, or is it more of
    > the same? Does anyone else do repairs using a better cable? I don't
    > fancy spending GBP 70-100 every two years repairing screen cables.
    >
    > There seems to be no new alternative machine around with a keyboard and
    > decent battery life - so I guess I'll have to repair the 5MX.

  3. Re: Improved screen cables

    "AlanS" wrote in message
    > They will use standard Psion cables, but there is a German company who

    sell
    > a reportedly more robust cable (no personal experience).
    > http://www.srsgmbh.de/en/index1.html
    > It is sold as a part to fit yourself but you need to be competent at
    > soldiering- you need to remove the old cable and solder the new one in
    > place- its fairly fine track. I'm not sure of the their cost for fitting.

    ive tried soldering these normal cables
    i know lots of people have done it etc
    i am quite good at soldering but seriously here the contacts are minute...
    if anything gets hot it melts... its a nightmare... i tried made it worse
    and sent my machine to POS
    they repair all found faults which meant i got a new case and touchglass
    also
    the service is remarkable and fast... i would highly reccoment using them
    ive had my screen cable fitted for a while and it is like the old one... not
    fails yet
    alan

  4. Re: Improved screen cables

    "Alan" wrote in message

    > "AlanS" wrote in message
    > > They will use standard Psion cables, but there is a German company who

    > sell
    > > a reportedly more robust cable (no personal experience).
    > > http://www.srsgmbh.de/en/index1.html
    > > It is sold as a part to fit yourself but you need to be competent at
    > > soldiering- you need to remove the old cable and solder the new one in
    > > place- its fairly fine track. I'm not sure of the their cost for

    fitting.

    > ive tried soldering these normal cables
    > i know lots of people have done it etc
    > i am quite good at soldering but seriously here the contacts are minute...
    > if anything gets hot it melts... its a nightmare... i tried made it worse
    > and sent my machine to POS
    > they repair all found faults which meant i got a new case and touchglass
    > also
    > the service is remarkable and fast... i would highly reccoment using them
    > ive had my screen cable fitted for a while and it is like the old one...

    not
    > fails yet
    > alan

    The main problem is that people tend to use an Iron with too much power- for
    something like this a general purpose Iron will be too hot- really you
    should use a 12 Watt iron (which is also suitable for SMD's), maybe
    a 15W. Standard Irons are generally around 25W or 30W- way too hot.

  5. Re: Improved screen cables

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:48:55 +0100, AlanS wrote:

    > (snipped, looking for screen cables)

    Hi together,
    here's your link. It is also in English:

    http://www-ka-flex.de

    Hope this helps!

    Psionara,

    Bernd Illig
    D-Muenster

  6. Re: Improved screen cables

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:04:52 +0100, Bernd Illig wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:48:55 +0100, AlanS wrote:
    >

    >> (snipped, looking for screen cables)

    > Hi together,
    > here's your link. It is also in English:
    >
    > http://www-ka-flex.de

    Correction: http://www.ka-flex.de

    Sorry

    > Hope this helps!
    >

    > Psionara,
    >

    > Bernd Illig
    > D-Muenster

  7. Re: Improved screen cables

    "AlanS" wrote in message
    > They will use standard Psion cables, but there is a German company who

    sell
    > a reportedly more robust cable (no personal experience).
    > http://www.srsgmbh.de/en/index1.html
    > It is sold as a part to fit yourself but you need to be competent at
    > soldiering?

    Soldiering, military 5mx's perhaps.

    - you need to remove the old cable and solder the new one in
    > place- its fairly fine track. I'm not sure of the their cost for fitting.
    >

    > "Loz" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1a35e6568e6a63f6989700@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > > I have a 2001 vintage 5MX and the screen cable appears to have gone (no
    > > touch screen anymore). Does anyone know whether the screen cables

    fitted
    > > by POS are any better than those of the 2001 vintage, or is it more of
    > > the same? Does anyone else do repairs using a better cable? I don't
    > > fancy spending GBP 70-100 every two years repairing screen cables.
    > >
    > > There seems to be no new alternative machine around with a keyboard and
    > > decent battery life - so I guess I'll have to repair the 5MX.

    ---

  8. Re: Improved screen cables

    For people having problems with their screen on Psion 5 or 5mx it is
    probably your screen flexi cable that has a break in it. Fix your flexi
    using a cable from www.psionflexi.co.uk.

    "Loz" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1a35e6568e6a63f6989700@text.news.virgin.n et...

    > I have a 2001 vintage 5MX and the screen cable appears to have gone (no
    > touch screen anymore). Does anyone know whether the screen cables fitted
    > by POS are any better than those of the 2001 vintage, or is it more of
    > the same? Does anyone else do repairs using a better cable? I don't
    > fancy spending GBP 70-100 every two years repairing screen cables.
    >
    > There seems to be no new alternative machine around with a keyboard and
    > decent battery life - so I guess I'll have to repair the 5MX.

  9. Re: Improved screen cables

    AlanS wrote:

    [snip]

    > The main problem is that people tend to use an Iron with too much power- for
    > something like this a general purpose Iron will be too hot- really you
    > should use a 12 Watt iron (which is also suitable for SMD's), maybe
    > a 15W. Standard Irons are generally around 25W or 30W- way too hot.

    The power of a soldering iron only sets its temperature if it's a cheap
    and nasty soldering iron without a thermostat.

    I would suggest that anyone doing this job uses a thermostatically
    controlled soldering iron. Mine's 50W (an ancient Weller TCP1;
    changeable bits, variable thermostatic control; I've also got an RS iron
    with changable thermostatic heating shafts. Modern thermostatic irons
    tend to have knobs) and is much better for fine work than any so-called
    `instrumentation' soldering iron of low power.

    The point is this: if it's thermostatic and high power rather than
    uncontrolled and low power, it heats up more quickly and stays within a
    closer temperature band when in use. Temperature stability is better
    not just because of the thermostat, but because of the larger themal
    capacity of the parts that get hot when compared to a cheap low powered
    iron.

    For sure you need a fine, cool tip - but high power and thermostatic is
    lots better than low power.

    Cost might be a relevant factor. Thermostatic irons aren't the cheap
    ones. My irons were donated by someone who hadn't paid for 'em
    either...

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  10. Re: Improved screen cables

    If you are interested, have a look at www.psionflexi.co.uk for replacement
    cables.

    "Rowland McDonnell" wrote in message
    > AlanS wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > The main problem is that people tend to use an Iron with too much power-

    for
    > > something like this a general purpose Iron will be too hot- really you
    > > should use a 12 Watt iron (which is also suitable for SMD's), maybe
    > > a 15W. Standard Irons are generally around 25W or 30W- way too hot.

    > The power of a soldering iron only sets its temperature if it's a cheap
    > and nasty soldering iron without a thermostat.
    >
    > I would suggest that anyone doing this job uses a thermostatically
    > controlled soldering iron. Mine's 50W (an ancient Weller TCP1;
    > changeable bits, variable thermostatic control; I've also got an RS iron
    > with changable thermostatic heating shafts. Modern thermostatic irons
    > tend to have knobs) and is much better for fine work than any so-called
    > `instrumentation' soldering iron of low power.
    >
    > The point is this: if it's thermostatic and high power rather than
    > uncontrolled and low power, it heats up more quickly and stays within a
    > closer temperature band when in use. Temperature stability is better
    > not just because of the thermostat, but because of the larger themal
    > capacity of the parts that get hot when compared to a cheap low powered
    > iron.
    >
    > For sure you need a fine, cool tip - but high power and thermostatic is
    > lots better than low power.
    >
    > Cost might be a relevant factor. Thermostatic irons aren't the cheap
    > ones. My irons were donated by someone who hadn't paid for 'em
    > either...
    >
    > Rowland.
    >
    > --
    > Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    > PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    > http://www.mag-uk.org
    > UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

+ Reply to Thread