Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report - Scion

This is a discussion on Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report - Scion ; I know that lots of you have had excellent battery results from your Revo/Mako. But I?m one who has had nothing but problems with my Mako. I?ve tried most of the suggested solutions including the freezer bit. I even had ...

  1. Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report

    I know that lots of you have had excellent battery results from your
    Revo/Mako. But I?m one who has had nothing but problems with my Mako.
    I?ve tried most of the suggested solutions including the freezer bit.
    I even had the battery/pcb replaced. Things work for a while, then I?m
    back to square one ? shutting off anywhere from a reported 50-90%
    battery level.

    As a result, I?ve never felt safe taking the Mako away from home. In
    essence it was worthless to me. So I decided I had nothing to lose if
    I took a look at the battery compartment. I followed Ruey Loons
    instructions on his web site http://www.portal-pda.com/main.php3. I?ve
    often seen mention of the fact that the label is probably bent trying
    to remove it. I followed a tip I found on the web site ? I used a
    box-cutter blade to lift the label enough to slip a piece of dental
    floss tape under the label then just ?flossed? the label off. Worked
    perfectly.

    It was a job for me, a non-electronics-technician, to get the battery
    plug to the pcb disconnected and then pry out the batteries. It would
    have been much easier to first remove the 2 little springs holding the
    silver-colored battery cover in place. But I?ve had plenty of
    experience of how frustrating it is to try and get tiny springs back
    in place, so I declined to do that.

    Now what to do? I know the fast charging red LED stayed on
    irregularly, i.e. sometime 1 hour, sometimes a little as 2 minutes. I
    thought that perhaps the reason was because the fast charging was
    heating the thermistor so much that it was turning off the fast
    charging too soon. I decided to try a little ?insulation?. I first cut
    off the black insulation sleeve around the batteries. Then I cut a
    narrow slice off an old credit card, inserted it under the thermistor
    wires, taped the thermistor wires and credit card bit to the
    batteries, and reassembled everything. I figured I didn?t give a damn
    if it overheated and blew up. I plugged in the charger and let it go.
    The red LED stayed on for 5 hours! Yikes. But the Mako worked. That
    was 3 weeks ago.

    I don?t know if the 5 hours resulted in the credit card melting or
    what, but since then the red LED stays on about 1-1/2 hours. At the
    present time I?m not about to go through the process of looking at the
    batteries again. It?s anyone?s guess whether this has solved the
    problem or not. I may find that in a few weeks it?ll start acting up
    again. But I thought you might be interested in this.

  2. Re: Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report

    On 29 Nov 2003 11:49:35 -0800, ohsix wrote:
    : I don?t know if the 5 hours resulted in the credit card melting or
    : what, but since then the red LED stays on about 1-1/2 hours. At the
    : present time I?m not about to go through the process of looking at the
    : batteries again. It?s anyone?s guess whether this has solved the
    : problem or not. I may find that in a few weeks it?ll start acting up
    : again. But I thought you might be interested in this.

    This sounds promising!
    I'm fortunately blessed with a good Revo.
    I bought it second hand (barely used) in 2000. I used it for 6 months,
    and them didn't use it for a year. Then I used it again for 2 months,
    then not for 6 months, then again for a month, then not for another
    year. I've decided to charge it up again and use it, and it's not given
    me any problems except for after the inital charge claiming lots of
    files were "corrupt". A hard reset fixed that.

    Mine charges on fast charge for maybe 90 minutes too, so I'd say you're
    on the right track.

  3. Re: Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report

    I've owned several Makos and Revos and they have all given me battery problems.

    My current Mako has lost all data twice already, even though the meter read 50%
    full.

    I've learned how to replace the battery, fortunately, so I keep them going.

    But it's the last time I buy any gadget with internal batteries. It's a bad
    idea!

    >I'm fortunately blessed with a good Revo.

    Bob G

  4. Re: Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report

    On 30 Nov 2003 13:25:00 GMT, bobjames27@aol.com (Bob G) wrote:

    >But it's the last time I buy any gadget with internal batteries. It's a bad
    >idea!

    You probably mean "internal batteries that are hard to replace".
    Most of this problem would have gone away if you could have
    replaced the Revo AAA batteries as easily as the AAs in a 5.

    However you could be much worse off. Look at some of the PDA
    users seeking replacements for CUSTOM rechargeable batteries!

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  5. Re: Another Voodoo Revo/Mako Battery Report

    I've owned 6 Revos/Makos. They've all had the battery problem
    eventually. Every time you
    open and close your unit, you flex a ribbon cable going from the battery
    compartment to
    the motherboard. Over time the connections at the motherboard get noisy
    due to the physical
    stress imposed on the cable. The result is that there is a larger that
    normal
    voltage drop at the connector and the unit "believes" (prematurely) that
    the batteries
    have run down; the converse is true while charging.

    How long it takes for sufficient noise to build up on the ribbon cable
    depends in part on how
    frequently you open and close your unit. (I tend to kill mine in about 6
    months to 1 year.)

    Yes, I had tried most of the battery problem-solving schemes, but none
    worked until
    a fellow on the RevoWorld site noted the voltage drop. The solution is
    to remove your
    keyboard (if you do, do it VERY carefully), detach the ribbon cable by
    lifting the clamp
    on the connector, carefully clean the contacts, replace the cable,
    placing a piece of
    double-sided tape between the motherboard and cable (to help reduce the
    physical stress
    at the connector), and replace the keyboard. (WARNING: The procedure
    above is quite
    delicate work--keys can break off of the keyboard but can often be glued
    back on.)

    In my opinion you can perform this fix 2 or 3 times before you're forced
    to give up hope.
    You'll know it's time to give up when the fix only works for a month or
    less.

    Does replacing the batteries work? Sometimes; it depends on what the
    real problem is.
    On the other hand, SOMETIMES the mere fiddling in replacing the
    batteries is enough to shift
    the position of the cable, thereby temporarily reducing (or perhaps
    eliminating) the noise
    and leading one to believe that there was something wrong with the
    batteries. If the problem
    resurfaces with a month of replacing the batteries, you might want to
    try the ribbon
    cable fix.

    It's too bad that Psion dropped the ball w.r.t. the battery solution
    (and the springs as
    well) for the Revo. The Revo is overall a much superior design to
    anything on the market
    today--even, what, 4 years(?) after its demise.

    ohsix: Please do keep us appraised on the behaviour of your unit.

    Cheers,
    John

+ Reply to Thread