PsiWin has mysteriously packed up... - Scion

This is a discussion on PsiWin has mysteriously packed up... - Scion ; I have been using my Psion 5mx successfully with my Dell Latitude L400 laptop (running Win 2k SP2) for a couple of years, and then last week the PC just stopped talking to the Psion -- a complete flat line ...

  1. PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    I have been using my Psion 5mx successfully with my Dell Latitude L400
    laptop (running Win 2k SP2) for a couple of years, and then last week
    the PC just stopped talking to the Psion -- a complete flat line from
    Psiconv. PsiWin 2.3.3 is installed on my PC.

    (I have also encountered some problems with the video going haywire
    (strange patterns etc) but this seems to have gone and to be sure I've
    installed the latest video driver. Don't know why this might be
    relevant but it happened in the same time frame).

    I've tried:
    - ensuring that the Psion is set to cable...
    - soft resetting the Psion
    - different comm speeds
    - checking using Hyperterm that the COM port is still running and the
    Psion is still there and sending stuff to the PC
    - completely uninstalling PsiWin including using newclean.inf to clear
    out the registry and re-installing
    - running Norton Windoctor to ensure the registry is not corrupted

    But absolutely nothing. This is very strange as I say this has always
    worked fine and nothing (obvious) has changed. No software
    installation or anything like that.

    I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    advice, where next?

    Many thanks

    Frank

    Frank Bowles
    Milngavie, nr Glasgow

  2. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    "Frank Bowles" wrote in message
    news:516492d1.0311250901.2af12d43@posting.google.c om...

    > I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    > advice, where next?

    You could try:

    (1) delete the Psiwin.ini file in the Psion (C:\System\Psiwin.ini).

    (2) in the PC, go to "Start > Programs > PsiWin 2.3 > Machine Manager" and
    delete the configuration for the 5mx.

    Next time you connect the 5mx with PsiWin, it should be seen as a new
    machine that hasn't previously been connected.

    --
    Mike [Dundee, Scotland]
    ______________________________

    http://www.mikemcc.org.uk/
    ______________________________

  3. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    Hi Frank,

    You did not mention which operating system you're using but if you're using
    Windows XP first roll back to a restore point prior to when the problem
    occurred.

    regards

    "Frank Bowles" wrote in message
    news:516492d1.0311250901.2af12d43@posting.google.c om...
    > I have been using my Psion 5mx successfully with my Dell Latitude L400
    > laptop (running Win 2k SP2) for a couple of years, and then last week
    > the PC just stopped talking to the Psion -- a complete flat line from
    > Psiconv. PsiWin 2.3.3 is installed on my PC.
    >
    > (I have also encountered some problems with the video going haywire
    > (strange patterns etc) but this seems to have gone and to be sure I've
    > installed the latest video driver. Don't know why this might be
    > relevant but it happened in the same time frame).
    >
    > I've tried:
    > - ensuring that the Psion is set to cable...
    > - soft resetting the Psion
    > - different comm speeds
    > - checking using Hyperterm that the COM port is still running and the
    > Psion is still there and sending stuff to the PC
    > - completely uninstalling PsiWin including using newclean.inf to clear
    > out the registry and re-installing
    > - running Norton Windoctor to ensure the registry is not corrupted
    >
    > But absolutely nothing. This is very strange as I say this has always
    > worked fine and nothing (obvious) has changed. No software
    > installation or anything like that.
    >
    > I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    > advice, where next?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > Frank Bowles
    > Milngavie, nr Glasgow

  4. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    > You did not mention which operating system you're using but if you're
    using

    Yes he did.

    > laptop (running Win 2k SP2) for a couple of years, and then last week

    Richard

    "B" wrote in message
    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > Windows XP first roll back to a restore point prior to when the problem
    > occurred.
    >
    > regards

    > "Frank Bowles" wrote in message
    > news:516492d1.0311250901.2af12d43@posting.google.c om...
    > > I have been using my Psion 5mx successfully with my Dell Latitude L400
    > > laptop (running Win 2k SP2) for a couple of years, and then last week
    > > the PC just stopped talking to the Psion -- a complete flat line from
    > > Psiconv. PsiWin 2.3.3 is installed on my PC.
    > >
    > > (I have also encountered some problems with the video going haywire
    > > (strange patterns etc) but this seems to have gone and to be sure I've
    > > installed the latest video driver. Don't know why this might be
    > > relevant but it happened in the same time frame).
    > >
    > > I've tried:
    > > - ensuring that the Psion is set to cable...
    > > - soft resetting the Psion
    > > - different comm speeds
    > > - checking using Hyperterm that the COM port is still running and the
    > > Psion is still there and sending stuff to the PC
    > > - completely uninstalling PsiWin including using newclean.inf to clear
    > > out the registry and re-installing
    > > - running Norton Windoctor to ensure the registry is not corrupted
    > >
    > > But absolutely nothing. This is very strange as I say this has always
    > > worked fine and nothing (obvious) has changed. No software
    > > installation or anything like that.
    > >
    > > I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    > > advice, where next?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > >
    > > Frank
    > >
    > > Frank Bowles
    > > Milngavie, nr Glasgow

  5. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    On Tuesday, in article

    mike@nospam.net "Mike McConnell" wrote:

    > "Frank Bowles" wrote in message
    > news:516492d1.0311250901.2af12d43@posting.google.c om...
    >
    > > I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    > > advice, where next?

    > You could try:
    >
    > (1) delete the Psiwin.ini file in the Psion (C:\System\Psiwin.ini).

    > (2) in the PC, go to "Start > Programs > PsiWin 2.3 > Machine Manager" and
    > delete the configuration for the 5mx.

    Woah! Before trying such drastic action, let's take a little poke around.

    I have found that PsiWin behaves completely differently on different
    machines, even when they are nominally identical. On one machine I used
    to find that Netscape and PsiWin simply would not co-exist. PsiWin would
    appear to establish a link to the Psion, but you couldn't do anything
    with it, and furthermore, once PsiWin was closed it would "stick".
    The old three finger salute (ctrl-alt-delete) would reveal errlog and
    WPrnsrv (or whatever it is) sitting stick in the background and any attempt
    to restart PsiWin would result in further clones, but no successful
    connect. On occasion Psconsv itself (the connector) would show in
    the process list even though there was no evidence of it anywhere on the
    desktop.

    PsiWin is very sensitive to available memory and other system resources. In
    my experience if it runs out of memory it won't issue any useful error
    message, or perhaps more accurately fails to allocate a requirement, it
    won't tell you. That particular process will fail, but PsiWin will
    continue as if nothing was wrong. It can get itself in all sorts of a
    mess, but you will only know that it's not doing what you've told it to
    (backup, synchronise, whatever...).

    Run your windows resource monitor and see what happens when you fire up
    PsiWin. Close down anything that's not essential, or better still boot
    clean and fire up PsiWin. If that works, then go through a series of tests
    to see what knocks it off its perch. And don't assume that if something
    runs once PsiWin is running that the reverse will be true. I've had
    situations where I could run PsiWin alongside other apps, but only as
    long as PsiWin got its toe in first.

    Bottom line is PsiWin is flaky. I've said it before, and no doubt I'll
    say it agin in the future. Butif you have a Windows desktop it's all
    you have.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  6. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    "Raj Rijhwani" wrote in message
    > On Tuesday, in article
    >
    > mike@nospam.net "Mike McConnell" wrote:
    >
    > > "Frank Bowles" wrote in message
    > > news:516492d1.0311250901.2af12d43@posting.google.c om...
    > >
    > > > I'm baffled and don't know where to turn. I've followed all Psion's
    > > > advice, where next?

    > > You could try:
    > >
    > > (1) delete the Psiwin.ini file in the Psion (C:\System\Psiwin.ini).

    > > (2) in the PC, go to "Start > Programs > PsiWin 2.3 > Machine Manager"

    and
    > > delete the configuration for the 5mx.

    > Woah! Before trying such drastic action, let's take a little poke around.

    [snipped useful advice]

    Thanks guys, but still not there.

    Tried:
    Deleting the psiwin.ini from the psion; there was no machine in Machine
    Manager as Psiwin has been reinstalled...
    Logging in as a different user in case it was my personal profile
    Booting the machine into safe mode so that only the system processes and
    psiconsv were running.

    But still there is no sign of recognition of the Psion by the PC...

    Any further thoughts?

    Cheers

    Frank

  7. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    On Thursday, in article
    news.nospam@bowles.org.uk "Frank Bowles" wrote:

    > Thanks guys, but still not there.

    > Tried:
    > Deleting the psiwin.ini from the psion; there was no machine in Machine
    > Manager as Psiwin has been reinstalled...
    > Logging in as a different user in case it was my personal profile
    > Booting the machine into safe mode so that only the system processes and
    > psiconsv were running.

    > But still there is no sign of recognition of the Psion by the PC...

    > Any further thoughts?

    Are you sure you have the correct serial port configured for the
    connection? Have you any means of testing the serial ports (at both
    ends)? Have you tripped over, or otherwise snagged the cable (because
    the Honda connector is fragile if it's yanked sideways)?
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
    http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

  8. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    > On Friday, in article
    > news.nospam@bowles.org.uk "Frank Bowles" wrote:
    >
    > > "Raj Rijhwani" wrote in message
    > > > On Thursday, in article
    > > > news.nospam@bowles.org.uk "Frank Bowles" wrote:
    > > > Are you sure you have the correct serial port configured for the
    > > > connection? Have you any means of testing the serial ports (at both
    > > > ends)? Have you tripped over, or otherwise snagged the cable (because
    > > > the Honda connector is fragile if it's yanked sideways)?

    > > Yes, tried all these.

    > > Have run Comms on the Psion and hyperterm on the PC and successfully
    > > communicated both ways between the two.

    > With full hand-shaking enabled?

    Ah, maybe getting closer to the truth now. Sending reasonably large files
    (500k-1.5Mb) up and down, there is no problem transferring from PC -> Psion
    but getting packet errors (typically 1 per 500k) on the Psion -> PC route.
    This is using RTS/CTS signalling. Presumably the Psion is using the
    hardware handshaking lines to signal to the PC that it is alive and well.
    So I guess my next tests are to try to install PsiWin on another PC and see
    if it works. If it doesn't I'll suspect the lead, if it does I'll suspect
    the serial port in the PC. There was a hardware failure on the PC (the
    comment in my first posting about the video; lap top repair man replaced the
    screen (he suspected the inverter to the screen as the culprit)

    > Sounds like the bindings within Doze are fragged. It periodically screws
    > itself. Have you recently installed any new network utility software
    > or anything that creates new explorer bindings (as PsiWin did to create
    > the "My Psion")?

    Not recently. I have got sync software for my Nokia phone too but it has
    co-existed for PsiWin for a while. As this problem occurred at the same
    time as the other hardware fault, I think I should pursue that first.

    > Whereabouts are you in the UK?

    Glasgow, feel free to pop round, I owe you a drink!

    Seriously, thanks for your help.

    Frank

    mailATbowlesDOTorgDOTuk

  9. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    On Wednesday, in article
    news.nospam@bowles.org.uk "Frank Bowles" wrote:

    > "Raj Rijhwani" wrote in message

    > > With full hand-shaking enabled?

    > Ah, maybe getting closer to the truth now. Sending reasonably large files
    > (500k-1.5Mb) up and down, there is no problem transferring from PC -> Psion
    > but getting packet errors (typically 1 per 500k) on the Psion -> PC route.
    > This is using RTS/CTS signalling. Presumably the Psion is using the
    > hardware handshaking lines to signal to the PC that it is alive and well.

    Very probably.

    > So I guess my next tests are to try to install PsiWin on another PC and see
    > if it works. If it doesn't I'll suspect the lead, if it does I'll suspect
    > the serial port in the PC. There was a hardware failure on the PC (the
    > comment in my first posting about the video; lap top repair man replaced the
    > screen (he suspected the inverter to the screen as the culprit)

    On an old machine I would suspect it might have spiked the UART or isolator
    chip. Unlikely but not impossible now.

    > > Sounds like the bindings within Doze are fragged. It periodically screws
    > > itself. Have you recently installed any new network utility software
    > > or anything that creates new explorer bindings (as PsiWin did to create
    > > the "My Psion")?

    > Not recently. I have got sync software for my Nokia phone too but it has
    > co-existed for PsiWin for a while. As this problem occurred at the same
    > time as the other hardware fault, I think I should pursue that first.

    > > Whereabouts are you in the UK?

    > Glasgow, feel free to pop round, I owe you a drink!

    Just a smidge too far for me to come and check it with a substitute P5...

    > Seriously, thanks for your help.

    No probs.

    Now... To carry on looking for a job!
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
    http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

  10. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    In message <20031204.0059.2960snz@rijhwani.org>, Raj Rijhwani
    writes
    >On Wednesday, in article
    > news.nospam@bowles.org.uk "Frank Bowles" wrote:
    >
    >> "Raj Rijhwani" wrote in message

    >> > With full hand-shaking enabled?

    >> Ah, maybe getting closer to the truth now. Sending reasonably large files
    >> (500k-1.5Mb) up and down, there is no problem transferring from PC -> Psion
    >> but getting packet errors (typically 1 per 500k) on the Psion -> PC route.
    >> This is using RTS/CTS signalling. Presumably the Psion is using the
    >> hardware handshaking lines to signal to the PC that it is alive and well.

    >Very probably.

    I wonder if I can add my problem to this thread?
    (Win 98SE, 512Mb Pentium 3)

    I had a Psion 5mx(A) which showed signs of cracking hinges. So I backed
    it up to my computer using PsiWin, bought a new Psion in an end of line
    sale.

    Down loaded the bu files to the new Psion(B) and carried on.
    Removed all batteries from Psion(A) and retired it to its box.

    Recently an intermittent on-off fault on the new Psion(B) led me to seek
    repair for it. So got out old Psion(A), inserted new batteries and
    connected it to Computer via Psiwin in order to download back up.

    No connection. Nowt. Douple checked by putting Psion(B) back on, Fine -
    no prob.

    So I have a Psiwin and cable that clearly works. But a Psion that worked
    perfectly until I took out the batteries now doesn't. (Sorry, I
    transferred files via a SSD, with no problem), so the problem is that
    Psion(A) has just decided not to talk to the computer or vice versa.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  11. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    "Michael J Davis" wrote in message

    > I wonder if I can add my problem to this thread?
    > (Win 98SE, 512Mb Pentium 3)
    >
    > I had a Psion 5mx(A) which showed signs of cracking hinges. So I backed
    > it up to my computer using PsiWin, bought a new Psion in an end of line
    > sale.
    >
    > Down loaded the bu files to the new Psion(B) and carried on.
    > Removed all batteries from Psion(A) and retired it to its box.
    >
    > Recently an intermittent on-off fault on the new Psion(B) led me to seek
    > repair for it. So got out old Psion(A), inserted new batteries and
    > connected it to Computer via Psiwin in order to download back up.
    >
    > No connection. Nowt. Douple checked by putting Psion(B) back on, Fine -
    > no prob.
    >
    > So I have a Psiwin and cable that clearly works. But a Psion that worked
    > perfectly until I took out the batteries now doesn't. (Sorry, I
    > transferred files via a SSD, with no problem), so the problem is that
    > Psion(A) has just decided not to talk to the computer or vice versa.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Presumably you have set the Link to "cable" because, if I remember
    correctly, it defaults to "Infrared" when first powered up.

    You could also test the communication between PC and Psion with
    "Hyperterminal" and "Comms", instructions if needed are on the General Info
    page of my website.

    --
    Mike [Dundee, Scotland]
    ______________________________

    http://www.mikemcc.org.uk/
    ______________________________

  12. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    In message , Mike
    McConnell writes

    >"Michael J Davis" wrote in message
    >> So I have a Psiwin and cable that clearly works. But a Psion that worked
    >> perfectly until I took out the batteries now doesn't. (Sorry, I
    >> transferred files via a SSD, with no problem), so the problem is that
    >> Psion(A) has just decided not to talk to the computer or vice versa.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    >Presumably you have set the Link to "cable" because, if I remember
    >correctly, it defaults to "Infrared" when first powered up.

    That was fine.

    >You could also test the communication between PC and Psion with
    >"Hyperterminal" and "Comms", instructions if needed are on the General Info
    >page of my website.

    Well I just sat down, thinking I could do this without looking at your
    notes (I've certainly done it before!) and then thought 'Oh I better
    look'. But first just make sure the link worked with (B).

    I checked with the 'working Psion(B)' unplugged and then plugged in A
    and Psiwin showed its contents!!!!!!!!

    Next time I have a problem I'll just *think* 'hyperterminal'. It must be
    good! So I haven't the faintest idea what was going on, but I have now
    restored my reference files onto the SSD disk that I was using for back
    ups.

    I don't know how you did it, but thanks!! ;-)

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  13. Re: PsiWin has mysteriously packed up...

    In message <+M$yOWD7OL1$EwaV@trustsof.demon.co.uk>, Michael J Davis
    writes
    >Well I just sat down, thinking I could do this without looking at your
    >notes (I've certainly done it before!) and then thought 'Oh I better
    >look'. But first just make sure the link worked with (B).
    >
    >I checked with the 'working Psion(B)' unplugged and then plugged in A
    >and Psiwin showed its contents!!!!!!!!
    >
    >Next time I have a problem I'll just *think* 'hyperterminal'. It must
    >be good! So I haven't the faintest idea what was going on, but I have
    >now restored my reference files onto the SSD disk that I was using for
    >back ups.

    Following up my own posting:-

    For reasons now completely beyond me, when I came to send the previous
    message, the computer had completely lost track of the modem settings
    and denied I even had a com4: It took three reinstallations of the
    drivers to work normally!

    I don't think the two events are unconnected. :-(

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

+ Reply to Thread