Best way for 5mx onto the web? - Scion

This is a discussion on Best way for 5mx onto the web? - Scion ; I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the machine. So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and ...

  1. Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the
    machine.

    So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficient way
    of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP is
    Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is the IR
    modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via a
    mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company and
    type of contract?

    Thanks in advance.

    John

  2. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    If you;ve got a decent enough mobile, I'd recommend using GPRS over IrDA. It's a bit fiddly to set up, but once it works it's a lot less expensive (certainly or plain vanilla email use) than time based GSM or scrounging a phone socket in a hotel.

    family cairns wrote:
    > I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    >
    > connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with t
    > he
    > machine.
    >
    > So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficie
    > nt way
    > of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP
    > is
    > Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is th
    > e IR
    > modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via
    > mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company
    > and
    > type of contract?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > John

    -- Ewan Spence
    -- FreEPOC
    -- www.freepoc.org

  3. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    "family cairns" wrote in message
    > I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    > connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the
    > machine.
    >
    > So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficient

    way
    > of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP is
    > Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is the IR
    > modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via a
    > mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company and
    > type of contract?

    ive happilly used email via a nokia 7110 before
    was a bit slow but it worked...
    for orange uk it cost me 6p/min off peak 12p/min peak which i dont think is
    too bad...
    grps via irda would be better faster and cheaper but fiddly to set up

    alan

  4. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    On Tuesday, in article

    family.cairns@virgin.net "family cairns" wrote:

    > I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    > connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the
    > machine.
    >
    > So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficient way
    > of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP is
    > Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is the IR
    > modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via a
    > mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company and
    > type of contract?

    Well I know the 6210 is now considered obsolete, but I've had one since
    they were cutting edge tech, and I'd swear by it. Shame I dropped my
    newly refurbished 5mx during the summer... I've had to revert to the 5.
    The mx is more stable over IR than the 5 (even with the infrared patch
    installed). I am an Orange contract customer, and have a Demon account.
    If you use the Orange/Demon PoP (07973 100666) it comes out of your talk
    time. I have to admit I haven't bothered with much research because at the
    time I first joined Demon there was no choice of ISP, and at the time I
    joined Orange they WERE the only companies in partnership, but I don't
    know of any other ISP who has a similar mobile/internet binding even now.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  5. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    Many thanks to all for your advice!

    John

    "Raj Rijhwani" wrote in message
    > On Tuesday, in article
    >
    > family.cairns@virgin.net "family cairns" wrote:
    >
    > > I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    > > connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficient

    way
    > > of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP

    is
    > > Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is the

    IR
    > > modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via a
    > > mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company

    and
    > > type of contract?

    > Well I know the 6210 is now considered obsolete, but I've had one since
    > they were cutting edge tech, and I'd swear by it. Shame I dropped my
    > newly refurbished 5mx during the summer... I've had to revert to the 5.
    > The mx is more stable over IR than the 5 (even with the infrared patch
    > installed). I am an Orange contract customer, and have a Demon account.
    > If you use the Orange/Demon PoP (07973 100666) it comes out of your talk
    > time. I have to admit I haven't bothered with much research because at

    the
    > time I first joined Demon there was no choice of ISP, and at the time I
    > joined Orange they WERE the only companies in partnership, but I don't
    > know of any other ISP who has a similar mobile/internet binding even now.
    > --
    > Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    > raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us

    Earthmen
    > http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

  6. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    "Raj Rijhwani" schreef in bericht
    > On Tuesday, in article
    >
    > family.cairns@virgin.net "family cairns" wrote:
    >
    > > I've had my 5mx for several years but I've never used it regularly for
    > > connecting to the web despite having bought the IR Travel Modem with the
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > So, if you're on the move, what is the most effective and cost-efficient

    way
    > > of accessing the internet and e-mails? Specifically, my home-based ISP

    is
    > > Virgin Net but I don't think they have a 'roaming' option. Also, is the

    IR
    > > modem the best hardware to use, or should I think about conecting via a
    > > mobile phone - if so, any recommendations for which hardware, company

    and
    > > type of contract?

    > Well I know the 6210 is now considered obsolete, but I've had one since
    > they were cutting edge tech, and I'd swear by it. Shame I dropped my
    > newly refurbished 5mx during the summer... I've had to revert to the 5.
    > The mx is more stable over IR than the 5 (even with the infrared patch
    > installed). I am an Orange contract customer, and have a Demon account.
    > If you use the Orange/Demon PoP (07973 100666) it comes out of your talk
    > time. I have to admit I haven't bothered with much research because at

    the
    > time I first joined Demon there was no choice of ISP, and at the time I
    > joined Orange they WERE the only companies in partnership, but I don't
    > know of any other ISP who has a similar mobile/internet binding even now.
    > --
    > Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    > raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us

    Earthmen
    > http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

    The 6210 also supports HSCSD. That makes it possible to surf and e-mail at a
    speed of 43k . Nice !
    I thought I heared that Orange UK also supports HSCSD ?

  7. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    On Wednesday, in article

    adressefolle@freesurf.fr "Dixit" wrote:

    > The 6210 also supports HSCSD. That makes it possible to surf and e-mail at a
    > speed of 43k . Nice !
    > I thought I heared that Orange UK also supports HSCSD ?

    They do (did). Originally they'd enable it for a flat fee. Now I'm not
    so sure. I never did.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
    http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"

  8. Re: Best way for 5mx onto the web?

    Quoth raj@rijhwani.org (Raj Rijhwani):
    [munch]
    >I have to admit I haven't bothered with much research because at the
    >time I first joined Demon there was no choice of ISP, and at the time I
    >joined Orange they WERE the only companies in partnership, but I don't
    >know of any other ISP who has a similar mobile/internet binding even now.

    I have an older Orange contract myself (Talk 60) and FWIW, the 0845
    numbers for landline ISP access also appear to come off my inclusive
    minutes.
    --

    ~~ Paul Gilham ~~

+ Reply to Thread