PDFs on Psion - Scion

This is a discussion on PDFs on Psion - Scion ; I've found a PDF viewer for the Psion, but is there any way to make a PDF?...

  1. PDFs on Psion

    I've found a PDF viewer for the Psion, but is there any way to make a PDF?

  2. Re: PDFs on Psion

    "Ric" wrote in news:bpt9v8$k5a$1@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr:

    > I've found a PDF viewer for the Psion, but is there any way to make a
    > PDF?

    Yes, PDF+ from http://www.mbrainsoftware.com/ will do that for you.

    Fred

  3. Re: PDFs on Psion

    "Firth" wrote in message
    > "Ric" wrote in news:bpt9v8$k5a$1@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr:
    >
    > > I've found a PDF viewer for the Psion, but is there any way to make a
    > > PDF?
    > >

    > Yes, PDF+ from http://www.mbrainsoftware.com/ will do that for you.

    Are you sure? I read their blurb and it doesn't say it can make pdfs. It
    just describes itself as a pdf viewer.

  4. Re: PDFs on Psion

    In article , Ric wrote:

    > "Firth" wrote in message
    > > "Ric" wrote in news:bpt9v8$k5a$1@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr:
    > >
    > > > I've found a PDF viewer for the Psion, but is there any way to make a
    > > > PDF?
    > > >

    > > Yes, PDF+ from http://www.mbrainsoftware.com/ will do that for you.
    > >

    > Are you sure? I read their blurb and it doesn't say it can make pdfs. It
    > just describes itself as a pdf viewer.

    Take a look at PDFPrinter...

    Lars J

  5. Re: PDFs on Psion

    "Lars J. Aas" wrote in message

    > Take a look at PDFPrinter...

    Thanks - that works well. Very expensive though!

  6. Re: PDFs on Psion

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:30:01 -0000, "jm"
    wrote:

    >A while ago I noticed I "suddenly" had the ability to print to a pdf printer
    >on my PC.

    If all you need is to produce a PDF, and you don't need to do it
    on a Psion, you could install GhostView (shareware, but it
    doesn't nag or expire) and GhostScript (free) on pretty much any
    desktop computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) It doesn't produce
    PDF files that are as small as Adobe Acrobat, but isn't bad.

    As a free alternative on the Psion, you could consider installing
    a Postscript printer driver, and capture the Postscript file to
    disk. Then use the free Postscript to PDF converter on the Adobe
    web site.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  7. Re: PDFs on Psion

    nov2003@ericlindsayINVALID.comDOMAIN (Eric Lindsay's spam trap) wrote in

    > If all you need is to produce a PDF, and you don't need to do it
    > on a Psion, you could install GhostView (shareware, but it
    > doesn't nag or expire) and GhostScript (free) on pretty much any
    > desktop computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.)

    If you are running a Mac, at least with OS X, you don't need to add
    anything to create PDF files. You only need to print preview then save a
    PDF at that point.

    As with GhostView it's not optimised PDF but it does the job.

    My guess would be that there are equivalents to PDF Printer software
    available under Linux as well. I certainly used one under BeOS.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  8. Re: PDFs on Psion

    You can use open office or pdfcreator, pdfeditor, etc...

    "Steve Hodgson" wrote in message
    news:Xns9440624B1E1D1stephenhodgsonbaesys@10.15.18 8.42...
    > nov2003@ericlindsayINVALID.comDOMAIN (Eric Lindsay's spam trap) wrote in
    >
    > > If all you need is to produce a PDF, and you don't need to do it
    > > on a Psion, you could install GhostView (shareware, but it
    > > doesn't nag or expire) and GhostScript (free) on pretty much any
    > > desktop computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.)

    > If you are running a Mac, at least with OS X, you don't need to add
    > anything to create PDF files. You only need to print preview then save a
    > PDF at that point.
    >
    > As with GhostView it's not optimised PDF but it does the job.
    >
    > My guess would be that there are equivalents to PDF Printer software
    > available under Linux as well. I certainly used one under BeOS.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

    ---

  9. Re: PDFs on Psion

    On 27 Nov 2003 09:37:23 GMT, Steve Hodgson
    wrote:

    >If you are running a Mac, at least with OS X, you don't need to add
    >anything to create PDF files. You only need to print preview then save a
    >PDF at that point.

    I don't have a Mac, however I do have a sneaking suspicion that
    OS X is actually calling Ghostscript to produce its PDF files.
    Be nice to know for sure. It is a bit of a pity that Ghostscript
    is probably a little large for convenient porting to Psion.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

  10. Re: PDFs on Psion

    > I don't have a Mac, however I do have a sneaking suspicion that OS X
    > is actually calling Ghostscript to produce its PDF files.

    No it doesn't. Apple inherited Display Postscript from NeXT and built
    it into MacOS X. It's Postscript/PDF support is far more tightly
    integrated into the operating system than any other OS currently out
    there.

  11. Re: PDFs on Psion

    On 30 Nov 2003 16:33:44 -0800, Davor Cubranic
    wrote:

    >> I don't have a Mac, however I do have a sneaking suspicion that OS X
    >> is actually calling Ghostscript to produce its PDF files.

    >No it doesn't. Apple inherited Display Postscript from NeXT and built
    >it into MacOS X. It's Postscript/PDF support is far more tightly
    >integrated into the operating system than any other OS currently out
    >there.

    Very nice! Thanks for that information. Now that Mac OS X is
    out, the Apple keeps going higher and higher on my list as a
    replacement PC. Especially with native Postscript and PDF
    support. I write most of my text for printing in a Postscript
    driven markup language, which therefore should work nicely on a
    Mac. I already know that I won't go with Windows ever again.
    However I get the impression that Psion and Apple are very far
    apart. I'm not sure how much that matters, but at the moment at
    least I use the Psion emulator under Windows a lot.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

  12. Re: PDFs on Psion

    > However I get the impression that Psion and Apple are very far
    > apart. I'm not sure how much that matters, but at the moment at
    > least I use the Psion emulator under Windows a lot.

    Yeah, too bad about Psion SDK's being so tied to Windows. But I guess
    Linux tools for talking to Psion should be compilable, and the
    emulator might run in VMWare's SoftPC. Still, quite a hack. I wish
    more Psion's old software would follow OPL into the open-source land.

    BTW, after observing some of my colleagues with 12in PowerBooks and
    iBooks, I'm curious if NetBook (Pro or classic) has any advantage over
    them at all. Very, very nice machines.

  13. Re: PDFs on Psion

    Davor Cubranic wrote in

    >> However I get the impression that Psion and Apple are very far
    >> apart. I'm not sure how much that matters, but at the moment at
    >> least I use the Psion emulator under Windows a lot.

    > Yeah, too bad about Psion SDK's being so tied to Windows. But I guess
    > Linux tools for talking to Psion should be compilable, and the
    > emulator might run in VMWare's SoftPC. Still, quite a hack. I wish
    > more Psion's old software would follow OPL into the open-source land.
    >
    > BTW, after observing some of my colleagues with 12in PowerBooks and
    > iBooks, I'm curious if NetBook (Pro or classic) has any advantage

    over
    > them at all. Very, very nice machines.

    I'm currently running both and I agree - the netBook has fewer
    advantages than before. The PB form factor is only slightly bigger than
    the netBook but a LOT heavier and a lot more fragile. The screen is a
    whole lot better than the netBook and the software compatibility is a
    whole lot better in some ways - no problems with office apps, graphics
    etc.

    So I'm also starting to question the need for a netBook, partly as a
    result of the PB but also a longer-term desire for a little
    simplification. The techie advantages of moving to a Palm/Mac combo are
    pretty straightforward, not least the ability to synch via Bluetooth.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  14. Re: PDFs on Psion

    > I'm currently running both and I agree - the netBook has fewer
    > advantages than before.

    How about battery life? Is even that pretty close?

  15. Re: PDFs on Psion

    Davor Cubranic wrote in

    >> I'm currently running both and I agree - the netBook has fewer
    >> advantages than before.

    > How about battery life? Is even that pretty close?

    You certainly won't get as much use out of the PB - probably 2 - 3 hours
    max if you believe the battery status indicator.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

+ Reply to Thread