Psion 5mx - is this a problem? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx - is this a problem? - Scion ; I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to believe it was a faulty connection. however..... I am now sitting here with ...

  1. Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    believe it was a faulty connection. however.....

    I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    is notching up steadily.

    But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.

    Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

  2. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    Have you tried a soft reset yet? If that doesn't work, back up your Psion
    and try a hard reset.

    Richard

    "Michael J Davis" wrote in message

    > I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    > on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    > believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    >
    > I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    > Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    > is notching up steadily.
    >
    > But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    > between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    >
    > Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?
    >
    > Mike
    > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
    > --
    > Michael J Davis
    > <><
    > Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    > the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    > <><

  3. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    "Michael J Davis" wrote in message

    > I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    > on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    > believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    >
    > I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    > Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    > is notching up steadily.
    >
    > But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    > between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    >
    > Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?

    The battery current display is a joke. I don't know what it actually
    measures, but it aint the battery current. I wouldn't worry about it, but a
    soft and/or hard reset may (or may not) resolve the problem.

    Ian S

  4. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    Try a soft reset (back up you info first).
    If that doesn't work try a hard reset.
    Although normally fairly good the reporting can get itself into a mess, even
    reporting negative currents.
    If you still have problems check the battery contacts for corrosion. There
    is sometimes a problem with the battery cable so this may lead to a repair.
    I seem to recall buying this cable ages ago, and replacing it myself (a lot
    cheaper than the service fixed cost) but I can't remember where from.

    "Michael J Davis" wrote in message

    > I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    > on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    > believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    >
    > I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    > Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    > is notching up steadily.
    >
    > But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    > between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    >
    > Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?
    >
    > Mike
    > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]
    > --
    > Michael J Davis
    > <><
    > Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    > the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    > <><

  5. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:54:34 -0000, "Ian S"
    wrote:

    >"Michael J Davis" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    >> on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    >> believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    >>
    >> I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    >> Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    >> is notching up steadily.
    >>
    >> But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    >> between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    >>
    >> Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?
    >>

    >The battery current display is a joke. I don't know what it actually
    >measures, but it aint the battery current. I wouldn't worry about it, but a
    >soft and/or hard reset may (or may not) resolve the problem.
    >
    >Ian S

    I don't think the Psion actually _measures_ the current at all. I
    think it just looks to see what internal bits are turned on (serial,
    light etc.), possibly fudges in some measure of how hard the CPU is
    working and comes up with something along the lines of "Well, with the
    light off, serial on and three processes running, the current drain
    should be about xxxmA".

  6. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    The 5mx has circuitry to measure battery voltage. In it's programming, it
    knows how much power each of it's components uses (screen, ram, etc...) to
    run. So it knows the battery voltage, which is a good indicator of overall
    battery health. It also knows how much mAh it is using, calculating it
    against what the hardware is doing at any given time. My point is that a one
    possibility is a calculation error could occur when it measures hardware
    activity, like CPU use. Maybe the CPU is at rest, but the software is
    reporting it at high activity??? This would of course give incorrect battery
    consumption readings. Just a guess, and only one possible scenario?

    Richard

    "Graham Holden" wrote in message
    newsl6nrvcnnhct8vufigiearfs7pvdggo0ln@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:54:34 -0000, "Ian S"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Michael J Davis" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    > >> on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    > >> believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    > >>
    > >> I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    > >> Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and

    this
    > >> is notching up steadily.
    > >>
    > >> But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    > >> between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    > >>
    > >> Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?
    > >>

    > >The battery current display is a joke. I don't know what it actually
    > >measures, but it aint the battery current. I wouldn't worry about it,

    but a
    > >soft and/or hard reset may (or may not) resolve the problem.
    > >
    > >Ian S
    > >

    > I don't think the Psion actually _measures_ the current at all. I
    > think it just looks to see what internal bits are turned on (serial,
    > light etc.), possibly fudges in some measure of how hard the CPU is
    > working and comes up with something along the lines of "Well, with the
    > light off, serial on and three processes running, the current drain
    > should be about xxxmA".

  7. Re: Psion 5mx - is this a problem?

    In message , Graham Holden
    writes
    >On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:54:34 -0000, "Ian S"
    > wrote:
    >>"Michael J Davis" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am currently on my second 5mx. I had a problem - apparently with the
    >>> on switch over the weekend. Eventually changing the batteries led me to
    >>> believe it was a faulty connection. however.....
    >>>
    >>> I am now sitting here with the Psion connected to the mains. I have the
    >>> Usage (live) screen on, and it says time on external power 14m, and this
    >>> is notching up steadily.
    >>>
    >>> But the *battery* current now is oscillating every two to six seconds
    >>> between 0mA, 128mA & 192mA. The time on batteries continues to read 0.
    >>>
    >>> Do I have a problem (or incipient problem)?
    >>>

    >>The battery current display is a joke. I don't know what it actually
    >>measures, but it aint the battery current. I wouldn't worry about it, but a
    >>soft and/or hard reset may (or may not) resolve the problem.
    >>

    >I don't think the Psion actually _measures_ the current at all. I
    >think it just looks to see what internal bits are turned on (serial,
    >light etc.), possibly fudges in some measure of how hard the CPU is
    >working and comes up with something along the lines of "Well, with the
    >light off, serial on and three processes running, the current drain
    >should be about xxxmA".

    Thank you Ian, Alan, Graham, Retired.

    Yes, I have done a soft reset. No difference. (current still cycles
    between settings)

    However, my concern increases, in that connected to the mains, the
    screen remains on until the case is shut, whereas on batteries, it
    switches off within ten degrees. This looks like the screen cable
    problem doesn't it?

    Thanks for your help.

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  8. Two Psions [was Psion 5mx - is this a problem?]

    In message ,
    Retired_Soon writes
    >The 5mx has circuitry to measure battery voltage. In it's programming, it
    >knows how much power each of it's components uses (screen, ram, etc...) to
    >run. So it knows the battery voltage, which is a good indicator of overall
    >battery health. It also knows how much mAh it is using, calculating it
    >against what the hardware is doing at any given time. My point is that a one
    >possibility is a calculation error could occur when it measures hardware
    >activity, like CPU use. Maybe the CPU is at rest, but the software is
    >reporting it at high activity??? This would of course give incorrect battery
    >consumption readings. Just a guess, and only one possible scenario?

    Thanks for that comment. I have now recognised that it is the cable
    connection that is faulty (the battery usage gets reset each time I shut
    the machine). So I think it is covered by a warranty.

    So I've done a fresh backup.....

    Meanwhile I've dug out my *other* Psion 5mx. I retired it when the
    hinges showed signs of cracks.

    Rebatterying it, so I have effectively a *new* Psion, I connect it to
    the computer (Win98SE) which doesn't recognise this one.

    My intention is to restore the back up from my current Psion to this
    older one. But I can't understand why it doesn't connect. Have I missed
    something obvious?

    For reference, when I changed them before, I just restored the backup
    from the old to the new. Can't see why I can't do the reverse. Any
    ideas?

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

+ Reply to Thread