SSD Drives - Scion

This is a discussion on SSD Drives - Scion ; Hi all, Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably modern External SSD drive out there? I have inherited a project that involves a data capture system using Psion Workabouts but the data is stored on SSD's and all ...

  1. SSD Drives

    Hi all,

    Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably modern External SSD drive out
    there?

    I have inherited a project that involves a data capture system using Psion
    Workabouts but the data is stored on SSD's and all I have is an ancient
    Series 3 external SSD Drive which operates via an ISA interface card and
    there are no drivers for NT or above....

    Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

    Cheers

    Adam

  2. Re: SSD Drives

    Hi Adster,

    Try www.psionex.co.uk (no connection), but I can't see any
    real problem in using a comms package to transfer files from
    the WA to the PC with a suitable serial lead.

    Otherwise see if a friend has a suitable lead (and maybe a
    suitable machine, WA, 3, 3a, 3c or 3mx).

    Phil.

  3. Re: SSD Drives

    Psion now do an SSD drive unit with a PCI interface. As far as I know the
    ISA version does have an NT driver available; the PCI version has only
    NT-type driver available. Let me know if you need a copy.

    HTH
    stephen

    "Adster" wrote in message
    news:3fbb2d5e$0$105$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net.. .
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably modern External SSD drive out
    > there?
    >
    > I have inherited a project that involves a data capture system using Psion
    > Workabouts but the data is stored on SSD's and all I have is an ancient
    > Series 3 external SSD Drive which operates via an ISA interface card and
    > there are no drivers for NT or above....
    >
    > Any pointers would be very much appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Adam

  4. Re: SSD Drives

    There were plans in Palmtop (issue 7 I think) to build a Centronics interface (printer port) that would read the RAM SSD's for ODS, Win95 and Win98. Flash SSD's were a bit more problematic.

    To be honest a serial cable is your best bet, or at worst pick up an old S3a and use that as a Card Reader coupled to PsiWin 2.3.2

    Adster wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably modern External SSD drive
    > out
    > there?
    >
    > I have inherited a project that involves a data capture system using P
    > sion
    > Workabouts but the data is stored on SSD's and all I have is an ancien
    > Series 3 external SSD Drive which operates via an ISA interface card a
    > nd
    > there are no drivers for NT or above....
    >
    > Any pointers would be very much appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Adam

    -- Ewan Spence
    -- FreEPOC
    -- www.freepoc.org

  5. Re: SSD Drives

    Strangely enough i built one of these, and it's here if it is wanted. I
    haven't looked for the driver (SSDDRVR.SYS), I'll probably have it
    somewhere.

    The palmtop mag doesn't say Flash cards are problematic- it says they don't
    work. It may be worth emailing Martin Guthrie (if anyone has his email
    address)- the original driver was listed as being at
    www2.wildnet.co.uk/~martinr/pcssd.html but it comes up as no longer there.

    "Ewan Spence" wrote in message

    > There were plans in Palmtop (issue 7 I think) to build a Centronics

    interface (printer port) that would read the RAM SSD's for ODS, Win95 and
    Win98. Flash SSD's were a bit more problematic.

    > To be honest a serial cable is your best bet, or at worst pick up an old

    S3a and use that as a Card Reader coupled to PsiWin 2.3.2

    > Adster wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably modern External SSD drive
    > > out
    > > there?
    > >
    > > I have inherited a project that involves a data capture system using P
    > > sion
    > > Workabouts but the data is stored on SSD's and all I have is an ancien
    > > Series 3 external SSD Drive which operates via an ISA interface card a
    > > nd
    > > there are no drivers for NT or above....
    > >
    > > Any pointers would be very much appreciated!
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Adam
    > >

    > -- Ewan Spence
    > -- FreEPOC
    > -- www.freepoc.org

  6. Re: SSD Drives

    I had one of these too.
    There was a later version of the software to support flash cards. An
    extract from the "readme.txt":

    FLASH SUPPORT FOR PC-SSD 25/8/96

    The three programs, COPYFLSH.EXE, WRITFLSH.EXE and FFORMAT.EXE provide
    basic
    support for Flash SSDs on the PC-SSD interface.

    COPYFLSH copies the complete contents of a Flash SSD to the PC
    WRITFLSH restores the contents of a Flash SSD from the PC
    FFORMAT formats Flash SSDs.

    You can display the syntax for any of these commands by entering their
    names
    without any parameters.

    WRITFLSH and FFORMAT require the external power option for the PC-SSD.
    The
    supply used must be 15-18V DC with the negative on the centre conductor,
    the
    Psion power supply will not work as its output is only 10V. Many cheap,
    unregulated 12V supplies are suitable, check the file PSUS.TXT for a
    list of
    supplies which have been tested with the interface. If you use a supply
    that
    is not on the list make sure its output does not exceed 18V or you may
    damage
    your SSD. Always attach the PC-SSD to the PC before applying external
    power.

    FFORMAT is quite slow when used with type 1 Flash SSDs because it has to
    write and verify each byte - you may find it more convenient to use the
    Psion
    for these devices. Type 2 Flash SSDs format much more quickly.

    All three programs can be combined using a simple batch file to produce
    flash compress utility, they all return the DOS error value 1 if a
    problem
    occurs and so this can be checked for using the DOS 'if errorlevel ...'
    batch
    command.

    HISTORY

    V0.9x beta versions
    25/08/96 V1.00 first release
    08/10/96 V1.01 'media corrupt' error when disk label is in root dir
    fixed

    End Quote

    Tom Cole

    --