sending files from one Psion to another by null modem - Scion

This is a discussion on sending files from one Psion to another by null modem - Scion ; How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem and comms application? What settings should I use?...

  1. sending files from one Psion to another by null modem

    How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem and comms
    application? What settings should I use?

  2. Re: sending files from one Psion to another by null modem

    "Ric" wrote in message

    > How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem and comms
    > application? What settings should I use?

    Have a look at the "Connecting to a PC with Comms and Hyperterminal" file in
    the General Info page of my website and use the Psion settings for both
    machines. Don't use X-modem protocol because, for reasons I won't go into,
    you will probably end up with a corrupt file unless it has been zipped
    first. Use "Y-modem (batch)" protocol.

    --
    Mike [Dundee, Scotland]
    ______________________________

    http://www.mikemcc.org.uk/
    ______________________________

  3. Re: sending files from one Psion to another by null modem

    Hi Ric,

    thus spoke "Ric" :
    > How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem
    > and comms application? What settings should I use?

    Why not using IR? It's faster and has no protocol problems.

    Greets, Dirk

  4. Re: sending files from one Psion to another by null modem

    "Mike McConnell" wrote in message

    > "Ric" wrote in message
    >
    > > How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem and comms
    > > application? What settings should I use?

    > Have a look at the "Connecting to a PC with Comms and Hyperterminal" file

    in
    > the General Info page of my website and use the Psion settings for both
    > machines. Don't use X-modem protocol because, for reasons I won't go into,
    > you will probably end up with a corrupt file unless it has been zipped
    > first. Use "Y-modem (batch)" protocol.

    Thanks - that works perfectly.

  5. Re: sending files from one Psion to another by null modem

    Ric wrote:

    > How can I send a file from machine to machine via null-modem and comms
    > application? What settings should I use?

    If you have series 3 machines, they can connect with the NCP "link". Not sure
    if Series 5 can talk peer to peer.

    If forced to use Comms, your best bet, if you have full null modem cable, is
    to use RTS/CTS handshaking , no Xon-Xoff. Both running Comms. To test
    connectivity, type on one, and if you hear the bell sound on the
    other, then do the reverse.

    Then, set the transfer protocol you probably Ymodem. Ymodem allows multiple
    files to be sent in one "batch" and the file names are retained. (xmodem
    doesn't transmit the file name to the remote machine, so the receiving machine
    require manual input for each file).

    If you have series 3s and manage to setup the link, you could then simply
    backup one machine to the other by specifying the REM::C drive as the destination.

+ Reply to Thread