Compact Flash Cards - Scion

This is a discussion on Compact Flash Cards - Scion ; I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way around it. I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I went ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied ...

  1. Compact Flash Cards

    I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way around it.
    I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I went
    ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied by Canon with one
    of their cameras. Most compact flash cards nowadays, of course, are much
    larger than that, and I didn't know how much the psion would recognise.

    Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems menu,
    went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the message
    "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I went to
    "Disk" on the menu, went down to "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I then
    changed to Disk D, and tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on this
    disk would be deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the "Format
    Disk" box again, and still the message is that the disk is not present.

    Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else am
    I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.

    Jim Purdie

  2. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    You're not doing anything wrong - I've used a Canon 8Mb card (and also other
    brand 128Mb cards) in my Psion 5 and 5MX without problem. You may have a
    duff card, or there may be a problem with your Psion's connectors. Have you
    got it the right way up? The (0.5mm) ridge should be pointing away from the
    Psion.

    --
    ######################
    ## PH, London ##

    Jim Purdie wrote:
    > I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way
    > around it. I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash
    > cards, so I went ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually
    > supplied by Canon with one of their cameras. Most compact flash cards
    > nowadays, of course, are much larger than that, and I didn't know how
    > much the psion would recognise.
    >
    > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the
    > systems menu, went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D",
    > and got the message "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might
    > need formatting. So I went to "Disk" on the menu, went down to
    > "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I then changed to Disk D, and
    > tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on this disk would be
    > deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the "Format Disk"
    > box again, and still the message is that the disk is not present.
    >
    > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what
    > else am I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.
    >
    > Jim Purdie

  3. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems
    > menu,
    > went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the
    > message
    > "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I

    Take the card out, turn it over and put it back in the right way up 8-))

    (Hope I've spotted what's wrong!)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, for useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  4. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    There are a few cards that don't work in some Psions- it's a try and see
    thing. I had one card that would not work in one machine I had, but did in
    every other machine I tried. The socket was working- other CF worked with no
    problems.
    If you want to read more check the newsgroup archives.

    Also
    http://www.skilton.net/5mx/index.htm
    http://www.pscience5.net/Hints_Tips/Compact_Flash.htm
    may be of interest but I don't think it mentions the problem of some cards
    not being detected.

    these other faq's may be of interest as a new owner:
    http://home.clara.net/tixy/psion/general-tips.html
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8130/faq.htm
    http://www.pscience5.net/Hints_Tips/Hints_Tips.htm
    www.skilton.net/5mx/index.htm

    btw there are 2 voltages of cards- most seem to be dual voltage now but it
    could be worth checking compatibility. Also, make sure the card is in the
    right way round- there have been reports of people putting the card in the
    wrong way.

    "Jim Purdie" wrote in message
    > I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way around

    it.
    > I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I

    went
    > ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied by Canon with

    one
    > of their cameras. Most compact flash cards nowadays, of course, are much
    > larger than that, and I didn't know how much the psion would recognise.
    >
    > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems

    menu,
    > went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the message
    > "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I went

    > "Disk" on the menu, went down to "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I

    then
    > changed to Disk D, and tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on this
    > disk would be deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the

    "Format
    > Disk" box again, and still the message is that the disk is not present.
    >
    > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else

    am
    > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.
    >
    > Jim Purdie

  5. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    > > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else

    > am
    > > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.
    > >
    > > Jim Purdie

    Thanks to those who replied. The card is definitely up the right way, as the
    ridge prevents it going in upside down, which I presume is why the ridge is
    there. The shop I bought it from told me they had it because they had taken
    it from a camera, I presumed to replace it with a bigger card, so it may be
    faulty. I will take it back and try again, with a bigger and better card,
    and this time try it in the shop.

    Jim Purdie

  6. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    "Jim Purdie" wrote in message news:...
    > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else am
    > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.

    One thing that caught me out on one occasion - make sure the door over
    the CF slot is closed properly. There is a microswitch in the pivot (I
    think), and on my Psion it would only recognise a CF card if the door
    was shut.

    S.

  7. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    "Jim Purdie" wrote in message
    > I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way around

    it.
    > I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I

    went
    > ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied by Canon with

    one
    > of their cameras. Most compact flash cards nowadays, of course, are much
    > larger than that, and I didn't know how much the psion would recognise.
    >
    > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems

    menu,
    > went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the message
    > "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I went

    > "Disk" on the menu, went down to "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I

    then
    > changed to Disk D, and tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on this
    > disk would be deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the

    "Format
    > Disk" box again, and still the message is that the disk is not present.
    >
    > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else

    am
    > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.

    Did you close the door of the drive? The power to the card is not connected
    until you close the door (but don't ask me why as they are supposed to be
    hot pluggable).

    Ian S

  8. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    "Ian S" wrote in message

    > "Jim Purdie" wrote in message
    > > I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way around

    > it.
    > > I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I

    > went
    > > ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied by Canon with

    > one
    > > of their cameras. Most compact flash cards nowadays, of course, are much
    > > larger than that, and I didn't know how much the psion would recognise.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems

    > menu,
    > > went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the

    message
    > > "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I went

    > > "Disk" on the menu, went down to "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I

    > then
    > > changed to Disk D, and tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on

    this
    > > disk would be deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the

    > "Format
    > > Disk" box again, and still the message is that the disk is not present.
    > >
    > > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what else

    > am
    > > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.
    > >

    > Did you close the door of the drive? The power to the card is not

    connected
    > until you close the door (but don't ask me why as they are supposed to be
    > hot pluggable).
    >
    > Ian S

    There's a bit of metal slides round with the cover and makes the switch as
    the door is closed. It's fairly substantial and I can't remember much in the
    way of problems with it, but trying a different CF disk (if available) could
    negate this as the cause.

  9. Re: Compact Flash Cards

    "AlanS" wrote in message

    > "Ian S" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jim Purdie" wrote in message
    > > > I have just bought a Psion Series 5, and am slowly finding my way

    around
    > > it.
    > > > I noted that it was supposed to use standard compact flash cards, so I

    > > went
    > > > ought and bought one with 8MB capacity, actually supplied by Canon

    with
    > > one
    > > > of their cameras. Most compact flash cards nowadays, of course, are

    much
    > > > larger than that, and I didn't know how much the psion would

    recognise.

    > > > Anyway, I put it in the computer, went to "Information" on the systems

    > > menu,
    > > > went down to "Disk information", changed to "Disk D", and got the

    > message
    > > > "Type Not Present". Ah, I thought, it might need formatting. So I

    went
    > > > "Disk" on the menu, went down to "Format Disk", and pressed "Enter". I

    > > then
    > > > changed to Disk D, and tapped on "OK". I was warned that all files on

    > this
    > > > disk would be deleted, and tapped on "Yes". That took me back to the

    > > "Format
    > > > Disk" box again, and still the message is that the disk is not

    present.

    > > > Does the Psion need a different sort of Compact Flash card, or what

    else
    > > am
    > > > I doing wrong? Thanks, I hope, for your help.
    > > >

    > > Did you close the door of the drive? The power to the card is not

    > connected
    > > until you close the door (but don't ask me why as they are supposed to

    be
    > > hot pluggable).
    > >
    > > Ian S
    > >

    > There's a bit of metal slides round with the cover and makes the switch as
    > the door is closed. It's fairly substantial and I can't remember much in

    the
    > way of problems with it, but trying a different CF disk (if available)

    could
    > negate this as the cause.

    Looks like I got a faulty card, as I got another 64MB one, and it was
    recognised immediately. Any way, thanks to all of you for your answers. I
    still find it amazing that I type a query or a remark unto my computer, and
    get answers from all round the world, on this and other newsgroups. This
    sort of information would be very difficult to find in my own backyard. It
    is like a sort of worldwide enthusiasts club.

    Jim Purdie

+ Reply to Thread