ribbon cable problem - Scion

This is a discussion on ribbon cable problem - Scion ; I have bought my third Psion 3a and for the third time now I have problems due to a broken ribbon cable. Is there an affordable way to fix the hardware or have it repaired? Regards, M...

  1. ribbon cable problem

    I have bought my third Psion 3a and for the third time now I have problems due
    to a broken ribbon cable.

    Is there an affordable way to fix the hardware or have it repaired?

    Regards,

  2. Re: ribbon cable problem

    Send it to POS - www.posltd.com

    A repair costs 70 inc P&P, 45 more if the display itself (not cable) is
    broken. You get your machine back with every fixable thing fixed, and there
    is a 3 month warranty which I've found they are very quick to honour.
    Turnaround can be same day.

    --
    ######################
    ## PH, London ##

    Marc Chacun wrote:
    > I have bought my third Psion 3a and for the third time now I have
    > problems due to a broken ribbon cable.
    >
    > Is there an affordable way to fix the hardware or have it repaired?
    >
    > Regards,

  3. Re: ribbon cable problem

    Hi!

    Thanks for your advise.
    However, it does not help me much, as I can hardly call this an AFFORDABLE way to fix the problem.
    So far I paid about 15 pounds for each working (used) machine, incl cables, flash
    disks and manuals, so it would be totally ridiculous to pay 70, just for
    fixing one ribbon cable. So far, I have used each machine perfectly for a long time, however, after
    six months they all seem to get the same problem.

    For this price I could buy at least 3 second hand machines.

    I have opened and repaired a machine before, which actually is not a very
    complicated job, but I do not know how to solve the ribbon cable problem.

    Can anyone help me? Is it possible to buy a cheap ribbon cable somewhere
    and fix it myself?

    Regards,

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:58:28 +0000, Philip Herlihy wrote:

    > Send it to POS - www.posltd.com
    >
    > A repair costs 70 inc P&P, 45 more if the display itself (not cable) is
    > broken. You get your machine back with every fixable thing fixed, and there
    > is a 3 month warranty which I've found they are very quick to honour.
    > Turnaround can be same day.
    >

    > --
    > ######################
    > ## PH, London ##
    > ######################
    >

    > Marc Chacun wrote:
    >> I have bought my third Psion 3a and for the third time now I have
    >> problems due to a broken ribbon cable.
    >>
    >> Is there an affordable way to fix the hardware or have it repaired?
    >>
    >> Regards,

  4. Re: ribbon cable problem

    "Marc Chacun" writes:

    >I have bought my third Psion 3a and for the third time now I have problems due
    >to a broken ribbon cable.

    >Is there an affordable way to fix the hardware or have it repaired?

    If you mean the icon button bar has stopped working, it is so easy to
    use a Psion3a without the button bar once you have installed a
    software fix (such as macsys) that I never bothered to fix mine. It is
    also often easy to fix since it is often not broken but simply
    detached from the socket.

    See http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/gadgets/psion.html for details
    on how to get round or fix a broken button bar.

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

+ Reply to Thread