Help! I need to 'blindly' enable remote link on P5 - Scion

This is a discussion on Help! I need to 'blindly' enable remote link on P5 - Scion ; Hi all, This week, the screen of my Psion 5 was damaged. It has a big starburst in it, surrounded by black Rorschach blotches -- I think I now truly know the meaning of the phrase "liquid crystals". Apart from ...

  1. Help! I need to 'blindly' enable remote link on P5

    Hi all,

    This week, the screen of my Psion 5 was damaged. It has a big
    starburst in it, surrounded by black Rorschach blotches -- I
    think I now truly know the meaning of the phrase "liquid
    crystals". Apart from a 0.5 cm wide narrow strip at the very left
    of the screen, the display is now non-fucntional.

    However, from that narrow strip I can see that the machine itself
    is still working perfectly, and I'd like to try to make a final
    backup to disk of the Psion's data (I had made some changes in
    the couple of days before my last backup).

    The problem is this: my Psion's remote link is switched to 'off',
    so I can't connect to it with PsiWin, and without the screen
    working I do not know how to turn the link on!

    What I was wondering is if some kind soul reading this would be
    willing to give me the correct, exact sequence of keypresses I
    need to execute in order to switch the remote link to 'cable'.

    I.e, starting from the system screen, the sequence would begin (I
    think): 'Menu' - 'right arrow' - 'right arrow' - 'right arrow' -
    'right arrow' - (Now I have reached the Tool menu, I think) -
    'down arrow' --- and then I'm lost. How many times do I need to
    press 'down'? Do I then need to tab or press right arrow again to
    navigate the invisible 'set link' window?? I just can't remember
    anymore.

    Any help will be very much appreciated indeed. Feel free to just
    respond to me in email if you like -- I doubt that this will be
    of much interest to the newsgroup, after all.

    --
    Leo Breebaart

  2. Re: Help! I need to 'blindly' enable remote link on P5

    Leo,

    This happened to me once and I got the answer off this newsgroup, so
    it's time I returned the favour.

    L opens the link diaolg
    sets the link to "cable"
    makes the setting

    When you are done:

    (or two more s, to cycle past "infrarred")

    turns it off again to saves your batteries.

    Cheers,
    Guy Inchbald

    Leo Breebaart writes

    >Hi all,
    >
    >This week, the screen of my Psion 5 was damaged. It has a big
    >starburst in it, surrounded by black Rorschach blotches -- I
    >think I now truly know the meaning of the phrase "liquid
    >crystals". Apart from a 0.5 cm wide narrow strip at the very left
    >of the screen, the display is now non-fucntional.
    >
    >However, from that narrow strip I can see that the machine itself
    >is still working perfectly, and I'd like to try to make a final
    >backup to disk of the Psion's data (I had made some changes in
    >the couple of days before my last backup).
    >
    >The problem is this: my Psion's remote link is switched to 'off',
    >so I can't connect to it with PsiWin, and without the screen
    >working I do not know how to turn the link on!
    >
    >What I was wondering is if some kind soul reading this would be
    >willing to give me the correct, exact sequence of keypresses I
    >need to execute in order to switch the remote link to 'cable'.
    >
    >I.e, starting from the system screen, the sequence would begin (I
    >think): 'Menu' - 'right arrow' - 'right arrow' - 'right arrow' -
    >'right arrow' - (Now I have reached the Tool menu, I think) -
    >'down arrow' --- and then I'm lost. How many times do I need to
    >press 'down'? Do I then need to tab or press right arrow again to
    >navigate the invisible 'set link' window?? I just can't remember
    >anymore.
    >
    >Any help will be very much appreciated indeed. Feel free to just
    >respond to me in email if you like -- I doubt that this will be
    >of much interest to the newsgroup, after all.

    Guy Inchbald
    guy@steelpillow.com

  3. Re: Help! I need to 'blindly' enable remote link on P5

    "Leo Breebaart" wrote in message

    > The problem is this: my Psion's remote link is switched to 'off',
    > so I can't connect to it with PsiWin, and without the screen
    > working I do not know how to turn the link on!
    >
    > What I was wondering is if some kind soul reading this would be
    > willing to give me the correct, exact sequence of keypresses I
    > need to execute in order to switch the remote link to 'cable'.

    http://www.mgmcc.myby.co.uk/LinkOn.htm

    which will work regardless of what the Link is currently set to and which
    application is in the foreground.

    --
    Mike [Dundee, Scotland]

    http://www.mikemcc.org.uk/