Re: Screen Ribbon Cable Fix: US or Germany - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Screen Ribbon Cable Fix: US or Germany - Scion ; cspan wrote: > I'm a 5mx user in the US. I've had this machine for a few years and > really love it. Wish they had succeeded here in the US and everywhere. > > Anyway, I just started noticing ...

  1. Re: Screen Ribbon Cable Fix: US or Germany

    cspan wrote:

    > I'm a 5mx user in the US. I've had this machine for a few years and
    > really love it. Wish they had succeeded here in the US and everywhere.
    >
    > Anyway, I just started noticing horizontal lines on part of my screen,
    > and though it is an intermittent problem at the moment, I suspect this
    > means I'm near the end of my 5mx's life.
    >
    > My choices are new PDA (and there's not a whole lot to write home
    > about), no PDA and just get a laptop, US fix for $175 plus shipping, or
    > this outfit in Germany with the potentially better cable.
    >
    > Has anyone used the German firm for this fix, and what were your
    > experiences (cost, turnaround time, quality)?

    I seem to recall some people relating their experiences with that German
    firm in the past on this newsgroup or a nearby one. From memory, the
    contact details on the Web site don't actually work (don't ask me why
    they're trying to avoid getting business), but someone who had a working
    email address for 'em got the job done in a timely fashion and it seemed
    to be a competent job done `as advertised'. But this is from memory -
    maybe you could look at Google groups?

    The price they charge is on their Website, isn't it?

    [snip]

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  2. Re: Screen Ribbon Cable Fix: US or Germany

    For people having problems with their screen on Psion 5 or 5mx it is
    probably your screen flexi cable that has a break in it. Fix your flexi
    using a cable from www.psionflexi.co.uk.

    "Rowland McDonnell" wrote in message
    > cspan wrote:
    >
    > > I'm a 5mx user in the US. I've had this machine for a few years and
    > > really love it. Wish they had succeeded here in the US and everywhere.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I just started noticing horizontal lines on part of my screen,
    > > and though it is an intermittent problem at the moment, I suspect this
    > > means I'm near the end of my 5mx's life.
    > >
    > > My choices are new PDA (and there's not a whole lot to write home
    > > about), no PDA and just get a laptop, US fix for $175 plus shipping, or
    > > this outfit in Germany with the potentially better cable.
    > >
    > > Has anyone used the German firm for this fix, and what were your
    > > experiences (cost, turnaround time, quality)?

    > I seem to recall some people relating their experiences with that German
    > firm in the past on this newsgroup or a nearby one. From memory, the
    > contact details on the Web site don't actually work (don't ask me why
    > they're trying to avoid getting business), but someone who had a working
    > email address for 'em got the job done in a timely fashion and it seemed
    > to be a competent job done `as advertised'. But this is from memory -
    > maybe you could look at Google groups?
    >
    > The price they charge is on their Website, isn't it?
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Rowland.
    >
    > --
    > Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    > PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me
    > http://www.mag-uk.org
    > UK biker? Join MAG and help keep bureaucracy at bay

+ Reply to Thread