I love my 5mx!!!! - Scion

This is a discussion on I love my 5mx!!!! - Scion ; I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks. I'm celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is still nothing NOTHING that is better....

  1. I love my 5mx!!!!

    I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks. I'm
    celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    still nothing NOTHING that is better.

  2. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    "RicT" wrote in message news:...
    > I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks. I'm
    > celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    > still nothing NOTHING that is better.

    Agreed. I'm thinking of buying another used 5mx/MC218 even though the
    one I have works, to be sure I can replace it when (no, I suppose I
    didn't say "if") the screen cable breaks.

    If only Symbian open-sourced ER5...

    by LjL
    ljlbox@tiscali.it

  3. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Lorenzo J. Lucchini wrote:

    > I'm thinking of buying another used 5mx/MC218 even though the one I
    > have works, to be sure I can replace it when (no, I suppose I didn't
    > say "if") the screen cable breaks.

    I did just that early this year - paid off almost straight away, when
    my other 5mx went loopy. I just restored everything I had previously
    backed up to my PC on to the new machine, then swapped the CF card
    from the old to the new machine. This meant I lost very little data,
    because I use CronTab to run a macro which does a differential backup
    of drive C: on to the CF card at 4 a.m. every day.

    Later on that 5mx was stolen; my system fell down a bit there, because
    obviously the CF card went with it! Fortunately my PC backup was only
    a few days old. Anyway, I have now replaced the spare 5mx, so I
    reckon I should have a satisfactory 5mx existence for several years to
    come, by which time perhaps somebody will at last have produced
    something worth abandoning th 5mx for.

    I would certainly recommend having two 5mx-s if you depend on it as
    much as I do. With the 3a, of course, it wasn't necessary, because
    the 3a was the ultimate unbeakable, uncrashable machine! (I suppose
    it was still thievable though, come to think of it.)

    David

    --

    David Sumbler

    Please reply to the newsgroup.

    However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
    replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

  4. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:44:38 +0100, "RicT" wrote:

    >I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks. I'm
    >celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    >still nothing NOTHING that is better.

    In which areas did you find the PocketPC was unsuitable? I can
    understand lack of a keyboard being a problem, but if there was
    something missing in the software, I would have imagined that by
    now some third party product could or would plug most gaps.

    Not that I'm thinking of moving from Psion (and I have enough
    spares to hold out a goodly time), but I like keeping an eye on
    what fails when people do try to move to a different line of
    products.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  5. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    Having looked at the Pocket PC and Palm PDAs, the thing I would miss most is
    Psion's Agenda - the small machines may have the week view, but you only
    see obscure little 'blocks' - details only come to view after tapping the
    'block' with a stylus which is hopeless for planning purposes. The lack of a
    decent keyboard goes without saying and only having a few hours of battery
    life (vice weeks) is appalling.

    "Eric Lindsay's spam trap" wrote in
    message news:3fc6b796.3201819@news.bigpond.com...
    > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:44:38 +0100, "RicT" wrote:
    >
    > >I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks. I'm
    > >celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    > >still nothing NOTHING that is better.

    > In which areas did you find the PocketPC was unsuitable? I can
    > understand lack of a keyboard being a problem, but if there was
    > something missing in the software, I would have imagined that by
    > now some third party product could or would plug most gaps.
    >
    > Not that I'm thinking of moving from Psion (and I have enough
    > spares to hold out a goodly time), but I like keeping an eye on
    > what fails when people do try to move to a different line of
    > products.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    > Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    > Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    > Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

  6. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    I find that my Pocket PC lasts at least 7 or 8 hours of use, more if used a
    lot in a short space of time- comparable to the Psion when I used
    rechargeable batteries. Life varies with the model of pocket PC, and usage
    pattern. The shorter battery life is due to a superior backlit colour
    screen. Turning the backlight brightness down helps battery life, and the
    screen remains more readable than a Psion one. Palm screens have a higher
    resolution than the pocket pc's. Using rechargeable batteries it saves on
    cost of replacement batteries, and reduces pollution/waste if that is a
    concern to you. Note that some/most/all (?) PocketPC's have some kind of
    backup scheme when the batteries get low- to save losing all your contents.
    Asus will save to Compact Flash, others have an area of ROM it saves too.
    The Diary function is different to that of the Psion- its a bit better
    suited to some things, but doesn't show detail until you get to day view.
    That said there are more sophisticated alternatives, but you have to pay. I
    find it works differently to the Psion Agenda, and I'm still getting used to
    it. You can create and apply categories to day events (eg Work, Personal,
    Birthdays, To Do, Hobby etc) and view all, or only those selected. For a
    more sophisticated diary/Personal information system look at Pocket
    Informant.
    Keyboards are available for some of the pda's, but the options of text
    recognition ( block recogniser, letter recogniser and transcriber- like
    graffiti ) or virtual keyboard is pretty good.
    Where it really does score is synchronising with a PC. And sharing
    information between the PC and Pocket PC.

    There are other positives (like no flex cable to change at 70 a go) and
    negatives (like no graphs in pocket excel), but there are usually extra
    programs you can get for most needs.

    The hardest thing is it's learning another new way to work. Like the Psion 3
    to Psion 5 thing. At the end of the day it's a personal choice. I think I'm
    going for the change. At the moment it's both, but if I go out I find I pick
    the pocket pc up- it's easier to carry, and easier to make quick notes when
    out and about. And its easier to see the screen when outside. At the end of
    the day you make your own choice- based on needs, what you know and are
    comfortable with, etc.

    "family cairns" wrote in message
    > Having looked at the Pocket PC and Palm PDAs, the thing I would miss most

    is
    > Psion's Agenda - the small machines may have the week view, but you only
    > see obscure little 'blocks' - details only come to view after tapping the
    > 'block' with a stylus which is hopeless for planning purposes. The lack of

    > decent keyboard goes without saying and only having a few hours of battery
    > life (vice weeks) is appalling.
    >

    > "Eric Lindsay's spam trap" wrote in
    > message news:3fc6b796.3201819@news.bigpond.com...
    > > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:44:38 +0100, "RicT" wrote:
    > >
    > > >I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks.

    I'm
    > > >celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    > > >still nothing NOTHING that is better.

    > > In which areas did you find the PocketPC was unsuitable? I can
    > > understand lack of a keyboard being a problem, but if there was
    > > something missing in the software, I would have imagined that by
    > > now some third party product could or would plug most gaps.
    > >
    > > Not that I'm thinking of moving from Psion (and I have enough
    > > spares to hold out a goodly time), but I like keeping an eye on
    > > what fails when people do try to move to a different line of
    > > products.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    > > Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    > > Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    > > Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    > > admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

  7. Re: I love my 5mx!!!!

    If your screen cable breaks try my web site www.psionflexi.co.uk

    Regards
    Paul

    news:1f24a1b2.0311270452.482ab641@posting.google.c om...

    > > I just tried the PocketPC experience. It's on ebay after three weeks.

    I'm
    > > celebrating being back with my 5mx with a nice bottle of wine. There is
    > > still nothing NOTHING that is better.

    > Agreed. I'm thinking of buying another used 5mx/MC218 even though the
    > one I have works, to be sure I can replace it when (no, I suppose I
    > didn't say "if") the screen cable breaks.
    >
    > If only Symbian open-sourced ER5...
    >
    > by LjL
    > ljlbox@tiscali.it

+ Reply to Thread