Unbeatable repair service for Psions - Scion

This is a discussion on Unbeatable repair service for Psions - Scion ; I sent off my battered Psion 5MX to POS ( www.posltd.com ) once the screen gave up. My machine came straight back by return of post, working perfectly and unrecognisably smart! That was about four months ago. Less than a ...

  1. Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    I sent off my battered Psion 5MX to POS (www.posltd.com) once the screen
    gave up. My machine came straight back by return of post, working perfectly
    and unrecognisably smart! That was about four months ago.

    Less than a week before the end of the POS 3-month repair warranty period,
    and just before a holiday, I found that the mains power connection was on
    the blink (literally!). Could this conceivably be fixed under warranty, I
    asked? Sure it can, they said, and don't worry, it's ok to send it to us
    after you get back from your holiday.

    Once again, the machine came back - perfect - by return of post, and my
    cheque to cover return postage (a modest gesture of appreciation) had been
    gracefully declined.

    Beat that for service...

    --
    ######################
    ## PH, London ##

  2. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    My screen cable died again - and they VERY kindly agreed to replace it
    under warranty
    Sent it wednesday - it was back friday!

    WOW - Stunning service.

    "Philip Herlihy" wrote in message
    > I sent off my battered Psion 5MX to POS (www.posltd.com) once the screen
    > gave up. My machine came straight back by return of post, working

    perfectly
    > and unrecognisably smart! That was about four months ago.
    >
    > Less than a week before the end of the POS 3-month repair warranty period,
    > and just before a holiday, I found that the mains power connection was on
    > the blink (literally!). Could this conceivably be fixed under warranty, I
    > asked? Sure it can, they said, and don't worry, it's ok to send it to us
    > after you get back from your holiday.
    >
    > Once again, the machine came back - perfect - by return of post, and my
    > cheque to cover return postage (a modest gesture of appreciation) had been
    > gracefully declined.
    >
    > Beat that for service...
    >
    > --
    > ######################
    > ## PH, London ##
    > ######################

  3. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    Hi group....

    Just reading your message Phil and wondered if they could fix my Psion
    RevoPlus....after reading Psion wanted 95 for a repair I decided to rip my
    unit apart as it only stood me @ 100 anyway....after doing this...I found
    the batteries were duff....replaced them with a couple of larger Capacity
    NiMH batteries and connected them up...All now works....only prob is...a few
    pins got bent and two little springs came unhooked....god knows how ya meant
    to get these things back on....obviously the "Brute force" method is not the
    way to get into a Psion...not if ya wanting to put it back together again
    :-)

    Do ya know if they will be able to salvage whats left of my Revo?? I still
    think 70 is a little steep for repairs....after all....they arent that good
    a unit to start with....dunno what possesed me to buy one in the first
    place...

    Many thanks..

    Mark

    mark at m1ajg dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  4. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    I'd guess they would, but they operate on a fixed-fee basis. I'm only a
    customer, so you'd better check with them. www.posltd.com Google will
    bring up a smattering of sites if you search for "dismantle" "revo".

    --
    ######################
    ## PH, London ##

    MArko wrote:
    > Hi group....
    >
    > Just reading your message Phil and wondered if they could fix my Psion
    > RevoPlus....after reading Psion wanted 95 for a repair I decided to
    > rip my unit apart as it only stood me @ 100 anyway....after doing
    > this...I found the batteries were duff....replaced them with a couple
    > of larger Capacity NiMH batteries and connected them up...All now
    > works....only prob is...a few pins got bent and two little springs
    > came unhooked....god knows how ya meant to get these things back
    > on....obviously the "Brute force" method is not the way to get into a
    > Psion...not if ya wanting to put it back together again :-)
    >
    > Do ya know if they will be able to salvage whats left of my Revo?? I
    > still think 70 is a little steep for repairs....after all....they
    > arent that good a unit to start with....dunno what possesed me to buy
    > one in the first place...
    >
    > Many thanks..
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > mark at m1ajg dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  5. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    > I'd guess they would, but they operate on a fixed-fee basis. I'm only a
    > customer, so you'd better check with them. www.posltd.com Google will
    > bring up a smattering of sites if you search for "dismantle" "revo".
    >
    > --
    > ######################
    > ## PH, London ##
    > ######################

    Many thanks for the "Search" words...I had tried other things and didnt get
    the results I needed to fix the Revo back together....first site I clicked
    on showed the Revo in bitz and instructions on how to dismantle
    it...So...now I have a fully working RevoPlus again and all in one piece too
    :-) with not many viewable battle scars....and a brand new set of
    batteries....I just hope these last alot longer than the originals....

    Many thanks for the info and stuff....

    Marko..

  6. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    You're a braver man than I am. I depend on my Psion for almost everything
    (it even tells me what my name is when I wake up) so I prefer to leave it to
    the experts!

    --
    ######################
    ## PH, London ##

    "MArko" wrote in message

    > "Philip Herlihy" wrote in message
    > > I'd guess they would, but they operate on a fixed-fee basis. I'm only a
    > > customer, so you'd better check with them. www.posltd.com Google

    will
    > > bring up a smattering of sites if you search for "dismantle" "revo".
    > >
    > > --
    > > ######################
    > > ## PH, London ##
    > > ######################

    > Many thanks for the "Search" words...I had tried other things and didnt

    get
    > the results I needed to fix the Revo back together....first site I clicked
    > on showed the Revo in bitz and instructions on how to dismantle
    > it...So...now I have a fully working RevoPlus again and all in one piece

    too
    > :-) with not many viewable battle scars....and a brand new set of
    > batteries....I just hope these last alot longer than the originals....
    >
    > Many thanks for the info and stuff....
    >
    > Marko..

  7. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    How did you connect the new batteries in the same neat package that the
    original Revo batteries came in? To this date, I have never managed to
    solder wires to battery terminals like "AAA". How did you get it all wired
    up?

    Richard

    "MArko" wrote in message
    > Hi group....
    >
    > Just reading your message Phil and wondered if they could fix my Psion
    > RevoPlus....after reading Psion wanted 95 for a repair I decided to rip

    my
    > unit apart as it only stood me @ 100 anyway....after doing this...I found
    > the batteries were duff....replaced them with a couple of larger Capacity
    > NiMH batteries and connected them up...All now works....only prob is...a

    few
    > pins got bent and two little springs came unhooked....god knows how ya

    meant
    > to get these things back on....obviously the "Brute force" method is not

    the
    > way to get into a Psion...not if ya wanting to put it back together again
    > :-)
    >
    > Do ya know if they will be able to salvage whats left of my Revo?? I

    still
    > think 70 is a little steep for repairs....after all....they arent that

    good
    > a unit to start with....dunno what possesed me to buy one in the first
    > place...
    >
    > Many thanks..
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > mark at m1ajg dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  8. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    "Retired_Soon" wrote in message
    news:3mtub.34817$j1d.23435@news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
    > How did you connect the new batteries in the same neat package that the
    > original Revo batteries came in? To this date, I have never managed to
    > solder wires to battery terminals like "AAA". How did you get it all wired
    > up?
    >
    > Richard

    They're easy to join....you need to scratch the surface of the connecting
    parts though..so the solder holds....then apply a blob to the tip of one and
    solder the base of the other....while applying heat to the bottom of the
    battery, slide the tip of the other into place....let them cool on their own
    and they should stick well....not sure how long they will hold together and
    if they do come apart then I now know how to get into the Revo without using
    the Brute Force method ;-) If there comes a time where the two batteries
    come un-attached then I will just link them with a small wire. They should
    be ok though in the Psion as they are clipped into place and held together
    quite tightly at the ends....

    Mark..

  9. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    Retired_Soon wrote:

    > How did you connect the new batteries in the same neat package that the
    > original Revo batteries came in? To this date, I have never managed to
    > solder wires to battery terminals like "AAA". How did you get it all wired
    > up?

    [snip]

    You might try some conductive epoxy glue rather than solder. Either
    that, or get batteries with tags welded to the end caps for soldering
    to.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

  10. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    Had my Psion 5mx running for over 4 years now, without a single glitch! (Now
    that's what a call a masterpiece of British engineering). But if it does
    break down, it's good to know there's somewhere I can get it fixed.

    How much did it cost you to get it repaired?

    Tom

    "Philip Herlihy" wrote in message
    > I sent off my battered Psion 5MX to POS (www.posltd.com) once the screen
    > gave up. My machine came straight back by return of post, working

    perfectly
    > and unrecognisably smart! That was about four months ago.
    >
    > Less than a week before the end of the POS 3-month repair warranty period,
    > and just before a holiday, I found that the mains power connection was on
    > the blink (literally!). Could this conceivably be fixed under warranty, I
    > asked? Sure it can, they said, and don't worry, it's ok to send it to us
    > after you get back from your holiday.
    >
    > Once again, the machine came back - perfect - by return of post, and my
    > cheque to cover return postage (a modest gesture of appreciation) had been
    > gracefully declined.
    >
    > Beat that for service...
    >
    > --
    > ######################
    > ## PH, London ##
    > ######################

  11. Re: Unbeatable repair service for Psions

    It depends on the fault, but they are fixed cost repairs. Check the site
    out- they state cost.

    "Gloster Meteor" wrote in message
    > Had my Psion 5mx running for over 4 years now, without a single glitch!

    (Now
    > that's what a call a masterpiece of British engineering). But if it does
    > break down, it's good to know there's somewhere I can get it fixed.
    >
    > How much did it cost you to get it repaired?
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Philip Herlihy" wrote in message
    > > I sent off my battered Psion 5MX to POS (www.posltd.com) once the screen
    > > gave up. My machine came straight back by return of post, working

    > perfectly
    > > and unrecognisably smart! That was about four months ago.
    > >
    > > Less than a week before the end of the POS 3-month repair warranty

    period,
    > > and just before a holiday, I found that the mains power connection was

    on
    > > the blink (literally!). Could this conceivably be fixed under warranty,

    > > asked? Sure it can, they said, and don't worry, it's ok to send it to

    us
    > > after you get back from your holiday.
    > >
    > > Once again, the machine came back - perfect - by return of post, and my
    > > cheque to cover return postage (a modest gesture of appreciation) had

    been
    > > gracefully declined.
    > >
    > > Beat that for service...
    > >
    > > --