Re: Internet connections - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Internet connections - Scion ; PhilAP wrote: > Unfortunately these viruses don't go away, they keep trying to get > into the Psion and so lock the I'Net connection. Refusing a call because you don't have a soctet listening to that port shoudln't consume many ...

  1. Re: Internet connections

    PhilAP wrote:
    > Unfortunately these viruses don't go away, they keep trying to get
    > into the Psion and so lock the I'Net connection.

    Refusing a call because you don't have a soctet listening to that port
    shoudln't consume many resources.

    > Some of the ports that the Psion automatically opens when it
    > connects to the I'Net are probed by these viruses.

    Sorry, but if a machine opens some default ports while connecting to the
    internet and you cannot get a list from your machine of what ports are opened,
    then this is a VERY SERIOUS SECURITY FLAW IN THE MACHINE.

    If you just connect to the internet to use www or read emails, your machine
    needs a total of 0 (zero) ports opened for incoming calls. There will be ports
    used for outgoing calls, but they are well outside the "well known ports" range.

    The only time a "client" on the net needs to listen for a port is during
    non-passive FTP. The remote server will initiate the data connection to send
    the file you requested on the command connection. Again, those ports are
    generally well outside the well known ports range, and the FTP client on the
    PSION (if such exists) would listen in to the negotiated port number for that
    one inbound call and then close that socket once data transfer is complete.

    (now, when you start to add software such as IRC or other conferencing stuff,
    you will need to have some well known ports listening for incoming calls).

  2. Re: Internet connections

    Hi,

    I'm not an InterNet expert/guru. I had this problem on my Psion using
    eMail,
    Web and Opera and the Psion's normal connection. Perhaps if I used a
    login
    script (though Psion do not actually recommend this) the relevant
    ports
    would be closed.

    Unfortunately most users wouldn't understand a login script if it bit
    them.

    But this *still* wouldn't stop these viruses (as they're Windows
    viruses), it
    would just stop them trying to get into my Psion. The Psion does not
    tell me
    which ports it opens so obviously there is "VERY SERIOUS SECURITY FLAW
    IN
    THE MACHINE", but that doesn't mean no-one should try to solve it, nor
    that
    the only responsibility for stopping these viruses is Psion's.

    It is really the ISPs.

    ISPs should block them because, as I keep saying, they *must* be using
    ISPs
    resources to propagate. Also some users *must* have these ports open
    or
    these viruses wouldn't propagate. Consequently ISPs are allowing these
    viruses to infect their customers. That's *their* responsibility.
    Obviously
    I'll try to solve this problem if I can but that doesn't absolve any
    ISP of their
    responsibility, it just means I want my Psion to be usable on the
    I'Net.

    It's no use saying that this shouldn't happen, or even that it can't
    happen, when it
    is happening. It's no use saying the Psion I'Net connection shouldn't
    permit it
    when it does.

    Hans Lubs "Sink" appears to work and my I'Net connection on the Psion
    is vastly
    more reliable. For this I'm very grateful. If you don't use your Psion
    on the I'Net,
    or only through a firewal, you won't have noticed the problem - you're
    lucky. I
    don't have a hardware firewall, my Mac has a software firewall and my
    Psion now
    has "Sink".

    Actually I do have an FTP program on my Psion, RMRFTP, which was just
    as
    frequently affected as my other I'Net apps which include TimeKeeper,
    Atomic
    Time, EpocSync, Hermes, JTelNet, Snaffle, FTPServer and NetUtils - but
    haven't used them all. I also appear to have an unregistered (and
    unused) copy
    of Web Grabber.

    Phil.

+ Reply to Thread