[Samba] Replacing a Samba server - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Replacing a Samba server - Samba ; I am setting up a new samba server that is going to replace my old one. Here is the question that I have. Am I going to have to go around to each computer on campus and have it rejoin ...

  1. [Samba] Replacing a Samba server

    I am setting up a new samba server that is going to replace my old one.
    Here is the question that I have. Am I going to have to go around to each
    computer on campus and have it rejoin the domain when I put the new server
    in place?

    If that is the case, can I set the SID on the new samba server to be the
    same as the old samba server and will that do the trick so that I do have
    to go around to each computer?

    Thanks for any info.

    --
    Scott Mayo - System Administrator
    Bloomfield Schools

    Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
    Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?

  2. Re: [Samba] Replacing a Samba server

    sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
    > I am setting up a new samba server that is going to replace my old one.
    > Here is the question that I have. Am I going to have to go around to each
    > computer on campus and have it rejoin the domain when I put the new server
    > in place?
    >
    > If that is the case, can I set the SID on the new samba server to be the
    > same as the old samba server and will that do the trick so that I do have
    > to go around to each computer?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    I also might add this. I have software on some of my labs that will not
    let the user make any changes to the computer. If they change
    backgrounds, settings, software, etc. then upon a reboot, the changes will
    be gone. I don't know if this would have any affect on the computers
    joining the domain or not. I will keep the domain name the same as what I
    have now.

    --
    Scott Mayo - System Administrator
    Bloomfield Schools
    PH: 573-568-5669 FA: 573-568-4565

    Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
    Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?

  3. Re: [Samba] Replacing a Samba server

    If you are using an LDAP backend, just slapcat all of the data out of
    the old server, and dump it into the new one. The new Samba will read
    the SID from LDAP, and your clients shouldn't notice the difference.

    - Scott Grizzard