[Samba] winbindd high CPU usage - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] winbindd high CPU usage - Samba ; Hi, I'm using squid+samba/winbindd to do proxy authentication for a AD domain. Using samba 3.0.29 this was working fine. This week I saw 3.2 was released stable, so I decided to upgrade. The compile (using solaris 8, 64bit, gcc 3.4.6) ...

  1. [Samba] winbindd high CPU usage

    Hi,

    I'm using squid+samba/winbindd to do proxy authentication for a AD domain.
    Using samba 3.0.29 this was working fine.
    This week I saw 3.2 was released stable, so I decided to upgrade. The
    compile (using solaris 8, 64bit, gcc 3.4.6) went well and I copied the
    secrets.tdb to the new version, so I wouldn't need to rejoin the domain.
    After this starting samba also succeeded, "wbinfo -t" and all worked just
    fine. Even using the ntlm_auth binary worked ok to authenticate a user. So I
    thought it to be safe to switch squid to the new version.
    But about 2 minutes after squid is started to use the ntlm_auth binary from
    the new samba, winbindd is starting to use 99% of the cpu (and this was not
    the case in 3.0.29).
    Here is my samba config:

    [global]
    security = ADS
    workgroup = XXXX
    realm = XXXX.BE
    winbind separator = +
    encrypt passwords = true
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind enum users = no
    winbind enum groups = no

    Has anybody else seen behaviour like this? Or any clue on how to resolve
    this (maybe some new winbindd settings)?

    Franky

  2. Re: [Samba] winbindd high CPU usage

    On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:31:41AM +0200, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using squid+samba/winbindd to do proxy authentication for a AD domain.
    > Using samba 3.0.29 this was working fine.
    > This week I saw 3.2 was released stable, so I decided to upgrade. The
    > compile (using solaris 8, 64bit, gcc 3.4.6) went well and I copied the
    > secrets.tdb to the new version, so I wouldn't need to rejoin the domain.
    > After this starting samba also succeeded, "wbinfo -t" and all worked just
    > fine. Even using the ntlm_auth binary worked ok to authenticate a user. So I
    > thought it to be safe to switch squid to the new version.
    > But about 2 minutes after squid is started to use the ntlm_auth binary from
    > the new samba, winbindd is starting to use 99% of the cpu (and this was not
    > the case in 3.0.29).

    Can you attach to the winbindd process eating the CPU with
    strace (truss on Solaris I think) and let us know what it is doing ?

    Thanks,

    Jeremy.