[Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users - Samba ; G'day Samba Users! I'm trying to use Samba on a Linux server which has a lot of Unix users: I have Slackware 12.1 and Samba 3.0.28a. My users are defined in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow which is typical for Slackware. I ...

  1. [Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users

    G'day Samba Users!

    I'm trying to use Samba on a Linux server which has a lot of Unix
    users: I have Slackware 12.1 and Samba 3.0.28a. My users are defined
    in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow which is typical for Slackware.

    I have one directory shared between everybody called Xchange:

    [Xchange]
    comment = Xchange
    path = /raid/Xchange
    read only = no
    public = yes

    The above works fine.

    Now, I'm trying to convince Samba to let Win XP users to connect to
    their home directories for example /raid/Users/user000001,
    /raid/Users/user000002 etc. I have a lot of users (Slackware Unix
    users in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow) so defining them with "smbpasswd
    -a userNNNNNN" is impossible. Well, maybe it is possible but...
    considering the number of users it would take too much time.

    Also, the same users have their home directories shared via AFP (which
    works fine) and I can't complicate the setup with an additional
    smbpasswd file.

    I tried numerous configurations but so far I can't find a solution to
    the following - is there a way to convince SAMBA to use /etc/passwd
    and /etc/shadow in order to grant user access to their home
    directories?

    For example I tried the following (which is not good):

    [Homes]
    path = /raid/Users/%U
    public = no
    read only = no
    valid users = %U
    printable = no
    browsable = yes

    Users should be able to read and write to their home directories. They
    can't read from other users home directories.

    Looking forward to your help.

    Cheers
    Krzys

  2. Re: [Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users

    Hallo, Krzysztof,

    Du (krzys18) meintest am 08.07.08:

    > Now, I'm trying to convince Samba to let Win XP users to connect to
    > their home directories for example /raid/Users/user000001,
    > /raid/Users/user000002 etc. I have a lot of users (Slackware Unix
    > users in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow) so defining them with
    > "smbpasswd -a userNNNNNN" is impossible. Well, maybe it is possible
    > but... considering the number of users it would take too much time.

    If you don't want LDAP you have to use the "smbpasswd" way.

    (and LDAP leads to other problems ...)

    > Also, the same users have their home directories shared via AFP
    > (which works fine) and I can't complicate the setup with an
    > additional smbpasswd file.

    How and where does AFP manage the authentification for Windows clients?

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut