[Samba] Samba v2.2.12 NTLM versions? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba v2.2.12 NTLM versions? - Samba ; Hi, I am working on an old Unix system, UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS, running a Teradata database. Due to the age of the system (notably the C compiler, which won't handle v3 source code), I have built Samba 2.2.12 I want ...

  1. [Samba] Samba v2.2.12 NTLM versions?

    Hi,

    I am working on an old Unix system, UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS, running a Teradata database.
    Due to the age of the system (notably the C compiler, which won't handle v3 source code), I have built Samba 2.2.12

    I want to use this to share Unix directories out to XP clients as network drives, for read-write access, keeping the file ownership as strict unix users.

    This all works fine, except for one thing; the passwords sent from XP don't get cleared by the password routines. Currently I have hacked the code to allow any password, and mitigated this by restricting the share to specific users & specific IP addresses. The file shares work perfectly apart from this, so I know the password matching bit is the only thing that's not working.

    >From reading samba pages, there appears to be several different LAN manager type encryptions.

    1. The original Windows LAN Manager
    2. NT LAN Manager (NTLMv1)
    3. NTLMv2

    >From looking at the password code, I think Samba v2 supports options 1 & 2, but not NTLMv2. Is this correct?

    What does XP send? Is it NTLMv2?

    Where can I find a chunk of code that I can add into the smbd password library to get this to work for me?

    Or is there an easier way? I'm an experienced programmer, but don't have much networking knowledge - should I be trying to use some sort of link to our Active Directory server (does winbind do this?)

    Smb.conf listed here:

    [global]
    workgroup = EDW
    netbios name = EDWDEV
    lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks

    # Edit this file to assing mappings between Windows & Unix users.
    username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap.txt

    # XP uses encrypted passwords by default. let's set this up.
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
    preserve case = yes

    [DEV]
    Comment = Dev software directory
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    path = /home1/DEP
    create mode = 0775

    # restrict to listed users. no-one else can connect.
    valid users = laiptc2, laiptc3, laiptc5, laiptc6, laiptc7

    # restrict to listed PCs.
    hosts allow = 25.167.169.200, 25.167.167.174, 25.167.167.193, 25.167.172.207, 25.167.169.178, 25.167.170.9

    Phil Horder
    Teradata Developer

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba v2.2.12 NTLM versions?

    On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:54:02AM +0100, PhilH wrote:
    > I am working on an old Unix system, UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS, running a Teradata database.
    > Due to the age of the system (notably the C compiler,
    > which won't handle v3 source code), I have built Samba
    > 2.2.12

    Isn't gcc available for your system?

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread