[Samba] Comment from a Samba user - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Comment from a Samba user - Samba ; The following post was made today. > Hallo, Lucia, > > Du (lucia.frika) meintest am 03.07.08: > > > Hola, tengo un servidor con samba, openldap y bind9 pero no puedo > > pinguear una maquina por el nombre, si ...

  1. [Samba] Comment from a Samba user

    The following post was made today.

    > Hallo, Lucia,
    >
    > Du (lucia.frika) meintest am 03.07.08:
    >
    > > Hola, tengo un servidor con samba, openldap y bind9 pero no puedo
    > > pinguear una maquina por el nombre, si por la ip.

    > That sounds like a misconfigured firewall. That's no samba problem.
    >
    > Viele Gruesse!
    > Helmut

    The point I should like to make is that the statement
    "That sounds like a misconfigured firewall."
    may be HUGELY useful to the recipient.

    When a prospective Samba user (or the prospective user of any other
    piece of complex software that interfaces with other complex software)
    is struggling to find out *his* installation
    mistake/misunderstanding/etc., a comment such as the one above can be
    all that is needed for enlightenment.

    In the two or three days that I have been subscribed to this list I
    have seen posts where the unfortunate poster had been banging his head
    against a problem for, in one case, eight hours, in another case
    thirteen hours. I do not remember if these particular people received
    experiences of lists that posters of "obvious" or other "trivial"
    problems often are ignored. In the case above, the poster was not
    ignored; and he may not have realised that he was looking in the wrong
    place.

    The above is the comment; but in the interest of straightforwardness I
    acknowledge that I have an axe to grind. I am a Samba user who has no
    wish to become a Samba expert. And I have what appears to me to be a
    problem with fairly clear data and, probably, a simple repair. But I
    do not know what that repair is. I am confident that many subscribers
    to this list can make good guesses as to what is wrong. But I have
    had no reponse to my posting; which is frustrating.

    dajo

  2. Re: [Samba] Comment from a Samba user

    Hallo, David,

    Du (dajo) meintest am 03.07.08:

    > I am a Samba user who has
    > no wish to become a Samba expert. And I have what appears to me to
    > be a problem with fairly clear data and, probably, a simple repair.
    > But I do not know what that repair is. I am confident that many
    > subscribers to this list can make good guesses as to what is wrong.
    > But I have had no reponse to my posting; which is frustrating.

    That's frustrating - I know.
    I'm using Samba for about 12 years, I've found some problems, too.
    Sometimes nobody could help me, too.

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  3. Re: [Samba] Comment from a Samba user

    On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 08:49:00AM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > > I am a Samba user who has
    > > no wish to become a Samba expert. And I have what appears to me to
    > > be a problem with fairly clear data and, probably, a simple repair.
    > > But I do not know what that repair is. I am confident that many
    > > subscribers to this list can make good guesses as to what is wrong.
    > > But I have had no reponse to my posting; which is frustrating.

    > That's frustrating - I know.
    > I'm using Samba for about 12 years, I've found some problems, too.
    > Sometimes nobody could help me, too.

    And from a developer's point of view this is also a bit
    difficult. At least for me I can say that I at least try to
    help people on the mailing lists, but there are only 24
    hours in a day, and there are also paying customers which
    take precedence over voluntary help here, and sometimes I
    enjoy time without a laptop :-). So from time to time I
    point people at http://samba.org/samba/support where we list
    companies who do paid support.

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread