    From: Helmut Hullen
    To: samba@lists.samba.org
    Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:41:00 AM
    Subject: Re: [Samba] smbclient sending ICMP unreachable destination host(administratively prohibited)

    Hallo, Mohammed,

    Du (mohammed_elafifi) meintest am 02.07.08:

    > 9* 0.057171 192.168.1.101 -> 192.168.1.100 ICMP Destination
    > unreachable (Host administratively prohibited)

    Why is "ICMP Destination unreachable" - sounds like a silly firewall*
    rule.

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  2. Re: [Samba] smbclient sending ICMP unreachable destination host(administratively prohibited)

    On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:04:44AM -0700, Mohammed El-Afifi wrote:
    > Sorry*I didn't mean to reply to your private mail
    > directly.Actually my windows box is running windows xp
    > sp2. Besides, I don't understand why, in any case, I would
    > need nmbd. My linux box is acting as a client, so actually
    > my windows box is responding (as a server) to my linux
    > broadcast request.

    Then it is a firewall on your Linux box.

    Volker

  3. Re: [Samba] smbclient sending ICMP unreachable destination host(administratively prohibited)

    Hallo, Mohammed,

    Du meintest am 03.07.08 zum Thema Re: [Samba] smbclient sending ICMP unreachable destination host(administratively prohibited):

    >>> 9* 0.057171 192.168.1.101 -> 192.168.1.100 ICMP Destination
    >>> unreachable (Host administratively prohibited)

    >> Why is "ICMP Destination unreachable" - sounds like a silly firewall*
    >> rule.

    > Actually
    > my windows box is running windows xp sp2. Besides, I don't understand
    > why, in any case, I would need nmbd. My linux box is acting as a
    > client, so actually my windows box is responding (as a server) to my
    > linux broadcast request.

    "firewall" is neither a single device nor is it a single program - it is
    a bundle of measures.
    On Linux machines "ICMP" may be blocked by "iptables". On windows
    machines it may be blocked by "personal firewalls" or by virus scanners.

    And there may be other "things".

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut