[Samba] RE: samba 3.0.25a - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] RE: samba 3.0.25a - Samba ; Dear All, I have having difficulty getting samba to prompt for a new password when the old one has expired ( I have forced the expiry by using pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 300). I can reset the password ...

  1. [Samba] RE: samba 3.0.25a

    Dear All,

    I have having difficulty getting samba to prompt for a new password when
    the old one has expired ( I have forced the expiry by using pdbedit -P
    "maximum password age" -C 300). I can reset the password (smbpasswd) on
    the Solaris 8 (Generic_117350-53) samba server, but not from the client
    side (windows XP). It prompts for a new password, but just "sits" there.
    The logs say the password has expired. I would appreciate some
    feedback. I have now reset the expiry to a day and see it this works
    (tommorow that is) as perhaps 5 mins is not enough. I have also
    installed the sol 10 version (same version of samba) on another server
    sun box and it just keeps on prompting for a passwd - it does not even
    prompt me to change my passwd. I am sure it is something very silly I
    have overlooked. If you need any more info please do not hesitate to
    contact me.

    Regards,

    Sean Beaven UNIX Support
    ING Bank n.v. UK Region, 60 London Wall, London EC2M 5TQ
    *: +44 (0)20 7767 6945
    *: sean.beaven@uk.ing.com

    The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be
    legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access
    to this Internet email by anyone else is unauthorised.

    If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing ING terms of business or client engagement letter.

    Authorised by the Dutch Central Bank and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of UK business.

    Visit us at www.ing.com

  2. Re: [Samba] RE: samba 3.0.25a

    On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 04:20:10PM +0200, Sean.Beaven@UK.ING.COM wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have having difficulty getting samba to prompt for a new password when
    > the old one has expired ( I have forced the expiry by using pdbedit -P
    > "maximum password age" -C 300). I can reset the password (smbpasswd) on
    > the Solaris 8 (Generic_117350-53) samba server, but not from the client
    > side (windows XP). It prompts for a new password, but just "sits" there.
    > The logs say the password has expired. I would appreciate some
    > feedback. I have now reset the expiry to a day and see it this works
    > (tommorow that is) as perhaps 5 mins is not enough. I have also
    > installed the sol 10 version (same version of samba) on another server
    > sun box and it just keeps on prompting for a passwd - it does not even
    > prompt me to change my passwd. I am sure it is something very silly I
    > have overlooked. If you need any more info please do not hesitate to
    > contact me.

    Jim did some work on this post 3.0.25. You might want to try
    a newer version first.

    Jeremy.

  3. RE: [Samba] RE: samba 3.0.25a/3.0.30 Solaris 10

    Guys,

    I have compiled version 3.0.30 with no optional flags for Solaris 10. On
    expiring the password with the following command:

    ../pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 300

    When I reconnect it just keeps on prompting for the password it just
    cycles and asks for the password again. The samba log looks like this:

    [2008/07/03 12:19:51, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_account_ok(178)
    sam_account_ok: Account for user 'sebea' password expired!.
    [2008/07/03 12:19:51, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_account_ok(179)
    sam_account_ok: Password expired at 'Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:18:17 BST'
    (1215083897) unix time.
    [2008/07/03 12:20:00, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_account_ok(178)
    sam_account_ok: Account for user 'sebea' password expired!.
    [2008/07/03 12:20:00, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_account_ok(179)
    sam_account_ok: Password expired at 'Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:18:17 BST'
    (1215083897) unix time.

    My Solaris 8 samba version 3.0.25a works fine - it appears to be a
    problem with Solaris 10? Any input would be much appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Sean

    Visit us at www.ing.com