[Samba] Samba update - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba update - Samba ; Hi, I have just taken over the administration of our Samba Fileserver. Unfortantly, my colleage has not done his homework and sadly forgot keep the Samba version up-to-date. So, the first step for me would be to update from our ...

  1. [Samba] Samba update

    Hi,

    I have just taken over the administration of our Samba Fileserver. Unfortantly, my colleage has not done his homework and sadly forgot keep the Samba version up-to-date. So, the first step for me would be to update from our current version 3.0.23c (SuSe rpms) to the most recent. Now I worry about some changes that could cause problems with my current configuration file. As I can not shutdown the service for a long time to debug the config, I would like to know what is the best way to get around any problem?

    Thanks for your help and best regards

  2. RE: [Samba] Samba update

    I have just taken over the administration of our Samba Fileserver.
    Unfortantly, my colleage has not done his homework and sadly forgot keep the
    Samba version up-to-date. So, the first step for me would be to update from
    our current version 3.0.23c (SuSe rpms) to the most recent. Now I worry
    about some changes that could cause problems with my current configuration
    file. As I can not shutdown the service for a long time to debug the config,
    I would like to know what is the best way to get around any problem?

    Thanks for your help and best regards

    Your best bet would be to set up a test environment. If you don't have
    an old system lying around, VMWare or VirtualBox is great for this. You
    will probably want to read the changelog and the CURRENT documentation and
    make sure your configuration files adhere to the newest documentation
    guidelines.

    7:23 PM