[Samba] tilde username - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] tilde username - Samba ; Hi I use winbind with ADS security for authentication. If I write "ls -la ~username" in bash or ksh and press TAB or escape to resolve the HOMEDIR the shell hangs until I cancel with Ctrl+C. After that I have ...

  1. [Samba] tilde username

    Hi

    I use winbind with ADS security for authentication. If I write "ls -la
    ~username" in bash or ksh and press TAB or escape to resolve the
    HOMEDIR the shell hangs until I cancel with Ctrl+C. After that I have
    to restart winbind!
    If I press enter after "ls -la ~username" it works. I use
    samba3-winbind-3.0.28-35 on RHEL4U6 (32bit). Any idea?

    regards
    urs

  2. Re: [Samba] tilde username

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Urs Golla wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I use winbind with ADS security for authentication. If I write "ls -la
    > ~username" in bash or ksh and press TAB or escape to resolve the
    > HOMEDIR the shell hangs until I cancel with Ctrl+C. After that I have
    > to restart winbind!
    > If I press enter after "ls -la ~username" it works. I use
    > samba3-winbind-3.0.28-35 on RHEL4U6 (32bit). Any idea?

    Speaking from experience with a large AD. What did you expect? If you're tab
    completing a username, then because of limitation in the POSIX interface,
    you've just asked AD to return you information on all users. That's not a
    quick operation. If I were you, I'd disable this enumeration as you *really*
    don't need it.

    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

    jh

    --
    "A little knowledge that /acts/ is worth infinitely more than much knowledge
    that is idle." -- Kahil Gibran

  3. Re: [Samba] tilde username

    Hi

    the problem is, if one of the developers does a "cd ~username"
    winbind hangs for ALL users and needs to be restartet. I think I will
    disable the user/group enumeration in smb.conf.

    cheers

    On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Rob Shinn wrote:

    > On Tue, July 1, 2008 9:49 am, Urs Golla wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I use winbind with ADS security for authentication. If I write "ls -la
    >> ~username" in bash or ksh and press TAB or escape to resolve the
    >> HOMEDIR the shell hangs until I cancel with Ctrl+C. After that I have
    >> to restart winbind!
    >> If I press enter after "ls -la ~username" it works. I use
    >> samba3-winbind-3.0.28-35 on RHEL4U6 (32bit). Any idea?

    > Yep. You just asked AD to return all the users, because ithe shell is
    > trying to complete the username first. Try "cd ~username/" instead, if
    > you want only homedir completion.

  4. Re: [Samba] tilde username

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Urs Golla wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > the problem is, if one of the developers does a "cd ~username"
    > winbind hangs for ALL users and needs to be restartet. I think I will
    > disable the user/group enumeration in smb.conf.

    You're not wrong that it sucks. There's a lack of threading someone in the
    deal. While you should expect this to be slow (although with a better
    defined interface, you could turn it into a reasonable search, rather than
    simply return all users), you shouldn't expect it to turn your machine into an
    unusable lump until it completes.

    I'd disable enumeration on anything but the smallest domain, and I'd do the
    same with nss_ldap (which suffers just the same).

    jh

    --
    "The average PhD thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one
    graveyard to another." -- J Frank Dobie