[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download - Samba

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

    "Patience is the companion of wisdom."
    Saint Augustine

    Release Announcements
    =====================

    This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.

    Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
    of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING
    file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

    Major enhancements in Samba 3.2.0 include:

    File Serving:
    o Use of IDL generated parsing layer for several DCE/RPC
    interfaces.
    o Removal of the 1024 byte limit on pathnames and 256 byte limit on
    filename components to honor the MAX_PATH setting from the host OS.
    o Introduction of a registry based configuration system.
    o Improved CIFS Unix Extensions support.
    o Experimental support for file serving clusters.
    o Support for IPv6 in the server, and client tools and libraries.
    o Support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs.
    o Encrypted SMB transport in client tools and libraries, and server.
    o Support for Vista clients authenticating via Kerberos.

    Winbind and Active Directory Integration:
    o Full support for Windows 2003 cross-forest, transitive trusts
    and one-way domain trusts.
    o Support for userPrincipalName logons via pam_winbind and NSS
    lookups.
    o Expansion of nested domain groups via NSS calls.
    o Support for Active Directory LDAP Signing policy.
    o New LGPL Winbind client library (libwbclient.so).
    o Support for establishing interdomain trust relationships with
    Windows 2008.

    Joining:
    o New NetApi library for domain join related queries (libnetapi.so)
    and example GTK+ Domain join gui.
    o New client and server support for remotely joining and unjoining
    Domains.
    o Support for joining into Windows 2008 domains.

    Users & Groups:
    o New ldb backend for local group mapping tables
    o Raised level of security defaults for authentication operations.
    o New NetApi library for user account related queries.

    Now Licensed under the GNU GPLv3
    ================================

    The Samba Team has adopted the Version 3 of the GNU General Public
    License for the 3.2 and later releases. The GPLv3 is the updated
    version of the GPLv2 license under which Samba is currently
    distributed. It has been updated to improve compatibility with other
    licenses and to make it easier to adopt internationally, and is an
    improved version of the license to better suit the needs of Free
    Software in the 21st Century.

    The original announcement is available on-line at

    http://news.samba.org/announcements/samba_gplv3/

    New Security Defaults for Authentication

    Support for LanMan passwords is now disabled in both client and server
    applications. Additionally, clear text authentication requests are
    disabled by default in client utilities such as smbclient and all
    libsmbclient based applications. This will affect connection both
    to and from hosts running DOS, Windows 9x/ME, and OS/2. Please refer
    to the "Changes" section for details on the exact parameters that were
    updated.

    Registry Configuration Backend
    ==============================

    Samba is now able to use a registry based configuration backed to
    supplement smb.conf settings. This feature may be enabled by setting
    "config backend = registry" in the [global] section of smb.conf for a
    registry only configuration, or by specifying "include = registry" to
    include global options from registry for a mixed setup.

    The new parameter "registry shares = yes" in the [global] section of
    smb.conf can be used to activate share definitions from registry.
    These shares are loaded on demand by the server. Registry shares are
    automatically activated by the global registry options above.

    The configuration stored in registry can be conveniently managed using
    the "net conf" command.

    More information may be obtained from the smb.conf(5) and net(8) man
    pages.

    Removed Features
    ================

    Both the Python bindings and the libmsrpc shared library have been
    removed from the tree due to lack of an official maintainer.

    As smbfs is no longer supported in current kernel versions, smbmount has
    been removed in this Samba version. Please use cifs (mount.cifs) instead.
    See examples/scripts/mount/mount.smbfs as an example for a wrapper which
    calls mount.cifs instead of smbmount/mount.smbfs.

    Modified API for libsmbclient

    Maintaining ABI compatibility for libsmbclient has become increasingly
    difficult to accomplish, while also keeping the code organization such that it
    is easily readable. Towards the goal of maintaining ABI compatibility and
    also keeping the code easy to maintain and enhance, the API has been enhanced.
    In particular, the fields in the SMBCCTX context structure are no longer
    intended to be read/write by the user, and are marked as deprecated. An
    application that previously accessed the members of the SMBCCTX context
    structure will now encounter warnings if recompiled. This is intentional, to
    encourage implementation of the small changes required for the new interface.
    The number of changes is expected to be quite small for the vast majority of
    applications, and no changes need be made for many applications. The changes
    required for KDE (konqueror) to conform to the new interface, for example, are
    only four lines in only one file.

    Instead of the application manually changing or reading values in the context
    structure, there are now setter and getter functions for each configurable
    member in that structure. Similarly, the smbc_option_get() and
    smbc_option_set() functions are deprecated in favor of the setter/getter
    interface. The setters and getters are all documented in libsmbclient.h
    under these comment blocks:

    Getters and setters for CONFIGURATION
    Getters and setters for OPTIONS
    Getters and setters for FUNCTIONS
    Callable functions for files
    Callable functions for directories
    Callable functions applicable to both files and directories

    Example changes that may be required to eliminate "deprecated" warnings:

    /* Set the debug level */
    context->debug = 99;
    changes to:
    smbc_setDebug(context, 99);

    /* Specify the authentication callback function */
    context->callbacks.auth_fn = auth_smbc_get_data;
    changes to:
    smbc_setFunctionAuthData(context, auth_smbc_get_data);

    /* Specify the new-style authentication callback with context parameter */
    smbc_option_set("auth_function", auth_smbc_get_data_with_ctx);
    changes to:
    smbc_setFunctionAuthDataWithContext(context, auth_smbc_get_data_with_ctx);

    /* Set kerberos flags */
    context->flags = (SMB_CTX_FLAG_USE_KERBEROS |
    SMB_CTX_FLAG_FALLBACK_AFTER_KERBEROS);
    changes to:
    smbc_setOptionUseKerberos(context, 1);
    smbc_setOptionFallbackAfterKerberos(context, 1);

    ################################################## ####################
    Changes
    #######

    smb.conf changes
    - ----------------

    Parameter Name Description Default
    -------------- ----------- -------
    administrative share New No
    client lanman auth Changed Default No
    client ldap sasl wrapping New plain
    client plaintext auth Changed Default No
    clustering New No
    cluster addresses New ""
    config backend New file
    ctdbd socket New ""
    debug class New No
    lanman auth Changed Default No
    ldap connection timeout New 2
    ldap debug level New 0
    ldap debug threshold New 10
    mangled map Removed
    min receive file size New 0
    open files database hashsize Removed
    read bmpx Removed
    registry shares New No
    smb encrypt New Auto
    winbind expand groups New 1
    winbind rpc only New No

    New special meaning of "include = registry".

    ================
    Download Details
    ================

    The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
    using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA). The source code can be downloaded
    from:

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/

    The release notes are available online at:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/history/samba-3.2.0.html

    Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

    http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

    Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
    (https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

    --Enjoy
    The Samba Team

  2. [Samba] 3.2.0 packages for all SUSE Linux products (was: [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download)

    On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 05:59:01PM +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
    [ 8< ]
    > Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from
    >
    > http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

    RPM package installation sources of Samba 3.2.0 (STABLE) are
    available at ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/STABLE/

    At ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/TESTING/ you find at the moment the
    same. Soon there you find more recent snapshots, pre(views) and release
    candiates.

    Supported SUSE Linux based products currently are SUSE Linux 10.1, 10.2,
    10.3, 11.0, SLES 9, SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE) Desktop and Server 10,
    and factory (i.e. the currently developed product). For some
    architectures - like ia64, ppc, s390(x) - you will find a limited
    releases subset.

    The same STABLE and TESTING package installation sources are also
    available at http://download.Samba.org/samba/ftp/...Packages/SuSE/

    Please use a mirror close to your site. A list of Samba.org mirrors is
    available at http://Samba.org/ There choose a mirror at the right top
    of the page.

    There are also a number of SUSE mirrors. A list of mirror sites is
    available at http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version

    To support easier collaboration Samba packages are also provided by the
    openSUSE Build Service (OBS). Cf. http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/
    and http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...samba:/STABLE/ or
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...amba:/TESTING/

    The OBS supports an easy approach to create binary packages for CentOS,
    Fedora, Mandriva, RedHat Enterprise (RHEL), SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE),
    and openSUSE. Access is possible through https://build.openSUSE.org/
    or a subversion-like command line tool named "OpenSUSE build service
    command-line" (osc). Bindings to perl are also available. See
    http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/CLI

    If you encounter any problems with these packages please don't blame the
    Samba Team. Instead file a bug to https://bugzilla.Samba.org/, pick
    product Samba 3.x, then select 'component' Packaging and set 'assign to'
    to samba-maintainers at suse dot de. Or use http://bugzilla.Novell.com/
    with the same assignee instead.

    For general information about Samba as part of SUSE Linux based products
    see http://en.openSUSE.org/Samba For reporting bugs and how to collect
    advanced debugging information see http://en.openSUSE.org/Bugs/Samba

    Our customers, our products, our responsibility.

    Have a lot of fun...

    Lars Müller - for the Novell Samba Team
    --
    Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
    Samba Team

  3. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

    On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 05:59:01PM +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:

    > ================================================== ============
    > "Patience is the companion of wisdom."
    > Saint Augustine
    > ================================================== ============
    >
    > Release Announcements
    > =====================
    >
    > This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.

    Great work Karolin - thanks a *lot* for driving
    this release !

    Jeremy.

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On 2008/07/01 17:59 (GMT+0200) Karolin Seeger apparently typed:

    > As smbfs is no longer supported in current kernel versions, smbmount has
    > been removed in this Samba version. Please use cifs (mount.cifs) instead.
    > See examples/scripts/mount/mount.smbfs as an example for a wrapper which
    > calls mount.cifs instead of smbmount/mount.smbfs.

    When was the last timestamp bug quashed? If it has not in fact been quashed,
    then there is NO usable connectivity with OS/2 as of this release.
    --
    "Where were you when I laid the earth's
    foundation?" Matthew 7:12 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  5. Samba 3.2.0 for Ubuntu Hardy (was Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download)

    Quoting Karolin Seeger :

    > Release Announcements
    > =====================
    >
    > This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.
    >
    > Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
    > of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING
    > file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

    Thanks!

    Ubuntu Hardy packages are available from my PPA:
    http://launchpad.net/~pgquiles/+archive

    --
    Pau Garcia i Quiles
    http://www.elpauer.org

  6. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

  7. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    Am Dienstag, 1. Juli 2008 schrieb Felix Miata:
    > On 2008/07/01 17:59 (GMT+0200) Karolin Seeger apparently typed:
    >
    > > , smbmount has
    > > been removed in this Samba version. Please use cifs (mount.cifs) instead.
    > > See examples/scripts/mount/mount.smbfs as an example for a wrapper which
    > > calls mount.cifs instead of smbmount/mount.smbfs.

    > When was the last timestamp bug quashed? If it has not in fact been quashed,
    > then there is NO usable connectivity with OS/2 as of this release.
    > --
    > "Where were you when I laid the earth's
    > foundation?" Matthew 7:12 NIV
    >
    > Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
    >
    > Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

    unfortunately the samba 3.2.x release notes are unclear here when stating
    "As smbfs is no longer supported in current kernel versions ..."

    Even in the most recent linux kernel 2.6.25 smbfs is still supported.

    There are very recent discussions on the Linux Kernel Mailing List
    (LKML) _how_ to drop smbfs "in an acceptable and save manner".
    It seems to me, that the involved kernel developers would like to choose
    a way "to more and more put _heavy_ warning messages into the kernel log"
    about the end of smbfs.

    So today the kernel developers "are a bit unsure" how to go on.

    Most linux distribution maintainers had and have a much clearer
    view of "this upcoming disaster" - hundreds or thousands of smbfs bug
    reports had been accumulated in their bug-databases - and "they found
    no way TO JUST IGNORE THEM" - cause smbfs is no longer maintained...

    They have been told "to just use cifs vfs instead of smbfs" - but both
    kernel modules do not match properly!
    Unfortunately they even developed wrappers around "smbmount" and friends
    to fake the change from smbfs to cifs vfs - to me a really worst decision.
    (do those maintainers ever join the irc channel #samba ?)

    To me (the samba supplied applets)
    - smbmount
    - smbmnt
    - smbumount
    were _always_ related to smbfs, and
    - mount.cifs
    - umount.cifs
    are related to cifs vfs.

    Those newly created wrappers "just only add more confusion"!
    (you buy a samba-CD at Ebay (R) and get the bill from Amazon (R)) ?

    Why drop smbfs?
    - put force on cifs vfs to support similar features - and more...
    - put force on NAS suppliers to adopt to new cifs vfs client features
    - ...
    - due to internal kernel changes, unmaintained smbfs will not build anymore

    The loosers now - all the smb/cifs users, running a legacy server.
    (cifs vfs != smbfs)

    I always voted against removing the samba smbfs client applets atm -
    they were always simply to maintain...

    To me, just a mistake.
    Cheers, Gnter

  8. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Gnter Kukkukk wrote:
    > Am Dienstag, 1. Juli 2008 schrieb Felix Miata:
    > > On 2008/07/01 17:59 (GMT+0200) Karolin Seeger apparently typed:
    > >
    > > > , smbmount has
    > > > been removed in this Samba version. Please use cifs (mount.cifs)

    instead.
    > > > See examples/scripts/mount/mount.smbfs as an example for a wrapper which
    > > > calls mount.cifs instead of smbmount/mount.smbfs.

    > > When was the last timestamp bug quashed? If it has not in fact been

    quashed,
    > > then there is NO usable connectivity with OS/2 as of this release.

    Instead of trying to convince to "carry a heavy cargo of compatibility" with
    dead and completely unusable operating systems and programs, ask to more jobs
    to finish Samba 4 and expanding Samba 3 to be a FULL analog with WinXP.
    Legacy servers should be updated. Legacy operating systems shuld be updated.
    IMHO, there is nothing to reason to support legacy products.
    --
    With Best Regards.
    Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://www.askd.ru/~shelton

  9. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

    Congratulations to samba team on the release of 3.2 !
    > > Missing from release candidate annoucements:

    > >> Documentation:
    > >> o Inclusion of an HTML version of the 3rd edition of "Using Samba"
    > >> from O'Reilly Publishing.

    > It was pulled I believe because I didn't get it into
    > the docs build dependencies.

    Jerry, will "Using Samba", third edition be included in the next release ?

    Lasantha.

  10. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On 2008/07/02 11:31 (GMT+0700) Rashid N. Achilov apparently typed:

    > Instead of trying to convince to "carry a heavy cargo of compatibility" with
    > dead and completely unusable operating systems and programs, ask to more jobs
    > to finish Samba 4 and expanding Samba 3 to be a FULL analog with WinXP.
    > Legacy servers should be updated. Legacy operating systems shuld be updated.
    > IMHO, there is nothing to reason to support legacy products.

    You know not of which you speak. It's easy to say this when you know nothing
    about it.

    Native OS/2 networking cannot be updated, because it is proprietary and its
    proprietor IBM refuses to do so, having officially abandoned OS/2 over two
    years ago. Yet, OS/2 maintains the best available desktop environment for
    many users, and is still being sold, just not by IBM, or by the OS/2 name,
    and not by anyone in position to update its legacy networking. For an average
    OS/2 user, there simply is no acceptable replacement. The OS/2 user's only
    hope is for its current vendor to someday drop its legacy networking and
    replace it with samba. Until that happens, if it ever happens, OS/2 users
    need either smbfs, or the CIFS timestamp, blocker bugs whether acknowledged
    or not, fixed.

    The fact is, smbfs works well enough with OS/2, as long the kernel isn't too
    new to have retained smbfs support, and the distro hasn't dropped genuine
    smbmount. That's a lot more than can be said of cifs.
    --
    "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."
    Ephesians 4:26 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  11. Re: Samba 3.2.0 for Ubuntu Hardy (was Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download)

    Quoting Pau Garcia i Quiles (pgquiles@elpauer.org):
    > Quoting Karolin Seeger :
    >
    >> Release Announcements
    >> =====================
    >>
    >> This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.
    >>
    >> Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
    >> of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING
    >> file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ubuntu Hardy packages are available from my PPA:
    > http://launchpad.net/~pgquiles/+archive

    Are these some official work made under the umbrella of Canonical?

    (being hosted on Launchpad, which is well known to be Canonical
    (non-free) baby, makes this fairly non obvious whether this is an
    individual work or if it's related to official releases of Ubuntu....I
    doubt that there will be an official 3.2 package for Hardy, though)

    Are these based on the current packaging of Samba 3.0.* series for
    various Ubuntu flavours?

    Are these based on the work done by Debian maintainers and currently
    sitting in Debian experimental?

    For those who care and want some kind of official packages, there will
    be Debian packages when they're ready. Certainly not as fast as they
    are SuSe packages, mostly because Debian maintainers are not paid for
    the work they're doing and have to do their work on their free time,
    but these packages will come and will be announced.

    We might be late because we have to decide whether we prepare packages
    for the upcoming "lenny" release of Debian.*A main blocker could be
    GPLv3 as it has some impact on packages that are built against
    libsmbclient (such as KDE packages).

  12. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:10:19AM +0200, Gnter Kukkukk wrote:
    > unfortunately the samba 3.2.x release notes are unclear here when stating
    > "As smbfs is no longer supported in current kernel versions ..."
    >
    > Even in the most recent linux kernel 2.6.25 smbfs is still supported.

    To add one thing to this discussion: You can always use the
    smbmount utilities from 3.0, we (SerNet) will provide RPMs
    out of these for quite a while. The decision to pull
    smbmount from 3.2 was made at a time when it seemed clear
    that Linux will drop smbfs.

    And, the whole thing with OS/2 servers is really
    unfortunate, but I honestly do think that cifsfs needs to be
    fixed. It is just insane to have two versions of that file
    system in the kernel.

    If there is one man in the world who knows how to deal with
    OS/2 servers, it is Steve French. So bug him harder :-)

    Volker

  13. Re: Samba 3.2.0 for Ubuntu Hardy (was Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download)

    Quoting Christian Perrier :

    > Quoting Pau Garcia i Quiles (pgquiles@elpauer.org):
    >> Quoting Karolin Seeger :
    >>
    >>> Release Announcements
    >>> =====================
    >>>
    >>> This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.
    >>>
    >>> Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
    >>> of the new GNU General Public License. You may refer to the COPYING
    >>> file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Hardy packages are available from my PPA:
    >> http://launchpad.net/~pgquiles/+archive

    > Are these some official work made under the umbrella of Canonical?

    No

    > (being hosted on Launchpad, which is well known to be Canonical
    > (non-free) baby, makes this fairly non obvious whether this is an
    > individual work or if it's related to official releases of Ubuntu....I
    > doubt that there will be an official 3.2 package for Hardy, though)

    I'm using the Launchpad Personal Package Archive, which is a
    well-known service for unofficial packages:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

    > Are these based on the current packaging of Samba 3.0.* series for
    > various Ubuntu flavours?

    No

    > Are these based on the work done by Debian maintainers and currently
    > sitting in Debian experimental?

    Yes. It's based on the 3.2.0rc2 packaging from Debian you do. Look at
    the changelog :-)

    > For those who care and want some kind of official packages, there will
    > be Debian packages when they're ready. Certainly not as fast as they
    > are SuSe packages, mostly because Debian maintainers are not paid for
    > the work they're doing and have to do their work on their free time,
    > but these packages will come and will be announced.
    >
    > We might be late because we have to decide whether we prepare packages
    > for the upcoming "lenny" release of Debian.*A main blocker could be
    > GPLv3 as it has some impact on packages that are built against
    > libsmbclient (such as KDE packages).

    I prepared those packages for my own use. They are 100% unofficial and
    unsupported.

    The reason I build them and make them available from Launchpad is very
    simple: it's easier to me to make them publicly available from my PPA
    than to scp them to each and every machine I want to install them. I'm
    lazy, I know :-)

    --
    Pau Garcia i Quiles
    http://www.elpauer.org

  14. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

  15. Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download

    > |> It was pulled I believe because I didn't get it into
    > |> the docs build dependencies.
    > |>
    > | Jerry, will "Using Samba", third edition be included
    > | in the next release ?
    >
    > Yeah. The XML source is already there. I just goofed and
    > didn't get it in the build. XML gives me headaches :-)

    Jerry, thanks for the assurance on documentation.

    On a different note though, we got Samba 3.2.0 running with little
    effort (already discussed here). Ours is a compiled setup on an Ubuntu
    8.04 Server with OpenLDAP and slightly customized smbldap-tools and etc.
    We have built a set of scripts for the automation of compilation of all
    these components to our taste.

    Cheers for the fascinate product, Samba 3.2.0 !

    Lasantha.

  16. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:10:19AM +0200, Gnter Kukkukk wrote:

    > The loosers now - all the smb/cifs users, running a legacy server.
    > (cifs vfs != smbfs)
    >
    > I always voted against removing the samba smbfs client applets atm -
    > they were always simply to maintain...
    >
    > To me, just a mistake.

    We really need to fix this by opening specific bugs against
    CIFSFS with these servers and sending patches/bugging Steve
    to fix them.

    Jeremy.

  17. Re: Samba 3.2.0 for Ubuntu Hardy (was Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.0 Available for Download)

    Quoting Pau Garcia i Quiles (pgquiles@elpauer.org):

    >> (being hosted on Launchpad, which is well known to be Canonical
    >> (non-free) baby, makes this fairly non obvious whether this is an
    >> individual work or if it's related to official releases of Ubuntu....I
    >> doubt that there will be an official 3.2 package for Hardy, though)

    > I'm using the Launchpad Personal Package Archive, which is a well-known
    > service for unofficial packages:
    > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

    OK, I understand better, thanks for the clear details. I wasn't aware
    of what Launchpad PPA is (LP is a big giant mystery for me) which explains...

    >> Are these based on the work done by Debian maintainers and currently
    >> sitting in Debian experimental?

    > Yes. It's based on the 3.2.0rc2 packaging from Debian you do. Look at
    > the changelog :-)

    Ah, great. So, no real duplicate work, then, which is fine.

    Did you have any specific problem to address or was the porting work
    just something like "untar, copy debian/, build"*?

  18. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On 7/2/2008, Felix Miata (mrmazda@ij.net) wrote:
    > Bug https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4090 was filed, and marked
    > fixed, without actually being fixed.

    Did you re-open it and provide evidence it wasn't fixed?

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  19. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On 2008/07/02 09:19 (GMT-0700) Jeremy Allison apparently typed:

    > On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:10:19AM +0200, Gnter Kukkukk wrote:

    >> The loosers now - all the smb/cifs users, running a legacy server.
    >> (cifs vfs != smbfs)

    >> I always voted against removing the samba smbfs client applets atm -
    >> they were always simply to maintain...

    >> To me, just a mistake.

    > We really need to fix this by opening specific bugs against
    > CIFSFS with these servers and sending patches/bugging Steve
    > to fix them.

    Bug https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4090 was filed, and marked
    fixed, without actually being fixed.
    https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3815 likely related was filed over
    18 months ago and remains open. See comment 22 there.

    Then there are really antique bugs still open from smbfs that probably should
    be converted to CIFS:
    https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1353
    https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2661

    Doesn't seem like filing more bugs would help when the already filed ones
    don't get fixed or don't get fixed right.
    --
    "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry."
    Ephesians 4:26 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  20. Re: [Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

    On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:15:30PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
    > On 2008/07/02 09:19 (GMT-0700) Jeremy Allison apparently typed:
    >
    > > On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:10:19AM +0200, Gnter Kukkukk wrote:

    > >> The loosers now - all the smb/cifs users, running a legacy server.
    > >> (cifs vfs != smbfs)

    > >> I always voted against removing the samba smbfs client applets atm -
    > >> they were always simply to maintain...

    > >> To me, just a mistake.

    > > We really need to fix this by opening specific bugs against
    > > CIFSFS with these servers and sending patches/bugging Steve
    > > to fix them.

    > Bug https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4090 was filed, and marked
    > fixed, without actually being fixed.
    > https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3815 likely related was filed over
    > 18 months ago and remains open. See comment 22 there.

    See comment #21 from Guenter, asking for information which
    was never provided. We can't fix these bugs on our own, you
    have to help, especially for a non-mainstream platform like
    OS/2.

    Jeremy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast