Where I work, we have some webservers with different kinds of Linux, and
some with different kinds of Windows.
I asked informally to install samba server on a Linux webserver, in order to
facilitate some procedures, and I have been told that the network manager
thinks that Samba should not be run on a machine outside the LAN, for
security reason.
On the Windows-based webserver, we normally have shares, and we use them to
store web content (php files etc.)
Before I make any pressure for the installation of Samba, I would like your
opinion.
Is it reasonable to refuse installing Samba on a webserver for security
reason?
If it is, does it make sense to keep the shares available on Windows
webservers, or is it contradictory?