Re: [SAMBA4] Rename smbd to samba? - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [SAMBA4] Rename smbd to samba? - Samba ; Am Montag, den 30.06.2008, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Stefan (metze) Metzmacher: > Andrew Tridgell schrieb: > > Hi Jelmer, > > > > > > I had this discusion with tridge a few years ago and he wanted to keep > ...

  1. Re: [SAMBA4] Rename smbd to samba?

    Am Montag, den 30.06.2008, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Stefan (metze)
    Metzmacher:
    > Andrew Tridgell schrieb:
    > > Hi Jelmer,

    > > > Ah, ok. tridge, do you still prefer keeping the name smbd?

    > > I don't mind if it is renamed to samba, although perhaps sambad would
    > > be more in line with conventions?
    > >
    > > I also think the various config/status utils could do with a
    > > rename. One possible approach would be:
    > >
    > > sambad - main daemon
    > > samba - status/config tool. Replacing 'net', 'smbstatus', 'testparm' etc

    > > So admins would run "samba status" to get status. They would run
    > > "samba config show" to do what testparm does.

    Yeah, merging some of the daemon maintaince tools seems like a good
    idea (and a new major version seems like the right time to make that change).

    > you said that 'sambad' ("sam" "bad") was a bad name...:-)
    >
    > what about 'samba' and 'samba-ctl'

    Yeah, samba and samba-ctl (or sambactl ?) seems better to me as well.

    Cheers,

    Jelmer
    --
    Jelmer Vernooij - http://samba.org/~jelmer/
    Jabber: jelmer@jabber.fsfe.org

  2. Re: [SAMBA4] Rename smbd to samba?

    On Monday 30 June 2008 23:08:42 Andreas Schneider wrote:

    > I wouldn't add the the net command to samba-ctl. I think it is a good
    > approach to have the same command on Linux and Windows and people are used
    > to it.

    Also, net is a real monster as it is (in Samba3 at least). Adding all of that
    to a tool that also does smbstatus and testparm would be insane.

    > And I'm sure it will break a lot of scripts and other tools which use the
    > 'net' command. An option would be that net is a wrapper for samba-ctrl.

    I'm waiting for a version jump big enough to justify breaking the net
    interface anyway. It sucks. The explicit transport needs to go. Working on
    some internal changes to make this possible for 3.3, for Samba4, I'm hoping
    to reuse the code and fix the interface.

    Cheers,
    Kai

    --
    Kai Blin